PDA

View Full Version : Francis Lady Bug Boogie

happyhaunts999
03-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Not that i care but i noticed on the DL website that this ride is down for an extended period of time whats the deal. What are they doing to this ride. What is there to do it's so little.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-10-2004, 03:06 PM
I don't know, but my first reaction is that every ride needs a refurb every once in a while.

stan4d_steph
03-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Perhaps they are un-spinnifying it.

DCAWhites
03-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I don't know, but my first reaction is that every ride needs a refurb every once in a while.

Well it got a refurb not more than 3 months ago.... Weird:confused:

I just hope they aren't giving it the Mad Tea Party Treatment.

Darkbeer
03-10-2004, 03:16 PM
This ride has had 2 prior refurbs since Labor Day!!!! (September and December)

The current Cast Member Reference Guide has the return date as "TBD"...

There is something mechanical that Disney doesn't like about the ride......

happyhaunts999
03-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Ah the old adage hold true yet again, DCA done on the cheap. Is this going to be a problem with every ride in DCA.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by happyhaunts999
Ah the old adage hold true yet again, DCA done on the cheap. Is this going to be a problem with every ride in DCA. You're probably right. All of those Bug's Land rides are made almost entirely of plastic. :rolleyes:

Not Afraid
03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by stan4d_steph
Perhaps they are un-spinnifying it.

I wouldn't call what that ride did as spinning.

Dictionary.com defines it as:
To cause to rotate swiftly, twir; A swift whirling motion;
A state of mental confusionl (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spinning)

FLBB definitely did NOT spin.

At this rate, the Teacups don't even spin.:crying:

zapppop
03-10-2004, 04:47 PM
The last time I rode this attraction the doors almost flew open during the ride. Perhaps they'll put some locks on the doors of the ride vehicles ?

stan4d_steph
03-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I wouldn't call what that ride did as spinning.

Dictionary.com defines it as:
To cause to rotate swiftly, twir; A swift whirling motion;
A state of mental confusion :rolleyes:
You could make it spin, but it wasn't designed like the teacups. I'm sure it was designed to be less vigorous, as were other rides in Bug's Land. Just look at the not-bumper cars.

It never was a very smooth ride. I can imagine all kinds of metal grinding against metal inside the mechanics.

Not Afraid
03-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by stan4d_steph
Just look at the not-bumper cars.

The non-bumper cars and the non-spinning bugs.

How fun is that?:rolleyes:

cstephens
03-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
The non-bumper cars and the non-spinning bugs.

How fun is that?:rolleyes:

I like the not-bump-much cars.

stan4d_steph
03-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I like the not-bump-much cars. Me too! It's funny how slowly they go. They remind me of that scene in Austin Powers with the steamroller.

Ghoulish Delight
03-10-2004, 06:38 PM
I still remember the first time I witnessed those "bumper" cars. I had heard that they were slow, but man was I not prepared. When they started, there was an audible chuckle/moan from just about everyone watching. They are truly pointless.

EandCDad
03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure why they have it closed, but as Stan4d_Steph mentioned it always sounded like stuff was really grinding when I rode it. If you really want to spin on that ride, get the one used for wheelchair parties, it spins like a mo-fo.

As far as those bumper cars, my kids love them. It's a great ride for a 6-9 year old. I'm glad they have those types of rides around, fun for the kids, geared toward them.

cstephens
03-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad
As far as those bumper cars, my kids love them. It's a great ride for a 6-9 year old. I'm glad they have those types of rides around, fun for the kids, geared toward them.

And great for those of us who can no longer go on real bumper cars.

Not Afraid
03-11-2004, 11:32 AM

I can't go on real bumper cars either, but I find this to be a lame excuse and not fun at all. I guess it's just pointless to me - and frustrating.

CoasterMatt
03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Just to put in my geekiness...

FLB is a fairly complicated bit of machinery - and is not something that can be "run to failure".

FLB is a smaller modern version of an old ride called the Cuddle Up. I was almost startled to hear that Disney would buy a ride that required pretty constant maintenance to run.

EandCDad
03-11-2004, 01:12 PM

I think there is the odd (not strange, occassional) adult who can enjoy that ride, I'm not one of them, I find it boring. However, I also find Emelia Bedelia books and Teletubbies boring. But I'd feel a little silly saying "I find that Teletubbies don't really do it for me."

ralfrick
03-11-2004, 01:36 PM
If it's as boring for the workers as it is for riders, they probably keep nodding off, so it takes longer.:D

As one in my 40s whose job requires driving all day, I looooooooove (proper) bumper cars, much more than when I was a kid.

Brian Noble
03-12-2004, 05:21 AM
If you really want to spin on that ride

During our visit, the CM on Francis gave us the inside scoop as to how to get them to spin; have the heaviest people sit as close to the door as you can. With my wife and I on either side of the door, and the kids on the other side, we got those things *moving*---the kids were laughing uncontrollably, and could barely sit upright

genenpet
03-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Coastermatt,
Could you elaborate a little more on the history of this ride? Why does it require extra maint.?