PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder will open Thursday

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AVP
03-10-2004, 12:28 PM
The state has cleared Big Thunder Mountain to reopen on Thursday, although we have a report that the ride is already open today.

AVP

Not Afraid
03-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Hmmm. Thursday........2:30 Doctors appointment.........free after that.....hmmm.

CarlieB
03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Cool! Wish I was there...gotta wait 'til the end of the year now...

Lani
03-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Awesome info, Adrienne! Thanks for the heads-up!!

justagrrl
03-10-2004, 01:05 PM
You know - all my talk about not going on it and blah blah blah. If I could - I would right now.

Cancer Norm
03-10-2004, 01:51 PM
The state has cleared Big Thunder Mountain to reopen on Thursday, although we have a report that the ride is already open today.

AVP

Hmmmmm...I need to think up a good excuse to call in sick tomorrow at work. :cool: ...hope the wheels stay on this time!

Cadaverous Pallor
03-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Zogs
Hmmmmm...I need to think up a good excuse to call in sick tomorrow at work. :cool: ...hope the wheels stay on this time! Heh, I'm sure that BTMRR is now THE safest ride in the park.

Count me in for the usual Friday night shenanigans.

IndianaJenn
03-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Yippee!!! :D

I will be there after work tomorrow!

mamabot
03-10-2004, 02:18 PM
I will be riding this on Friday. Woo Hoo!

Undertaker72
03-10-2004, 02:40 PM
WOOHOOO!!! Can't wait! Love that ride. And to all the doubters. It was really just a freak accident. Could of happened on all the other rides. Small world included. Although injuries there might be less severe.:D

Cadaverous Pallor
03-10-2004, 03:22 PM
If only the park didn't close at 8pm on Thursday.

happyhaunts999
03-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Has there been a press realease on this yet. I will not believe it until I see people on it.

Darkbeer
03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Undertaker72
WOOHOOO!!! Can't wait! Love that ride. And to all the doubters. It was really just a freak accident. Could of happened on all the other rides. Small world included. Although injuries there might be less severe.:D

It wasn't just a freak accident.... Let's look at what was written on MousePlanet on December 1st.

DOSH releases Big Thunder Mountain Railroad accident report (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr031201.htm)

The investigators determined that Disney's maintenance and procedures were responsible for the accident, which killed 22-year-old Marcelo Torres, and injured 10 others. The report cited two key mechanical failures that contributed to the accident: an incorrectly installed guide wheel, and a missing safety wire.

The investigator interviewed workers who didn't know the difference between a "yellow-tagged" ride vehicle, (not yet ready for passengers), and a "green-tagged" ride vehicle. Machinists admitted signing for work that they had not personally performed, and managers admitted signing off on repair work that they did not personally inspect. Ride operators complained that there was no policy explaining what to do when a ride vehicle was making an "unusual sound"; noises like the train involved in the accident was making before it was sent out on its final, fatal trip.

Ghoulish Delight
03-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Perhaps "freak accident" isn't the term to use (okay, definitely), but I think the overall point of Undertaker's quote is somewhat valid. There have been a lot of people that have said they wouldn't ride Big Thunder when it opens again. But these same people happily ride the Matterhorn, Splash, etc. I know that I for one will now feel SAFER on Big Thunder than on any of those (not that it's going to keep me from riding any of those). But if the cause was with a systematic inability to understand or follow maintanance procedures, it's only reasonable to assume that the problem is not limited to Big Thunder CMs. Of course, at this point, it's probably also reasonable to assume that all CMs have improved their adherance to these procedures since the accident and the findings.

DCAWhites
03-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Well I was watching ABC 7 news and after they did a story about permenant, themed security checkpoints, they went to a breif segment about Big thunder and announced that it opened late today. :D

happyhaunts999
03-10-2004, 05:54 PM
It did in fact open today. The local news was inteviewing people coming off the ride. Everybody looked happy to have the ride back up and running. Now only 2 more E-tickets to open until everything is back to normal.

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Thoughts going through Motorboat Cruiser's head right now...

Hmm, ok, I just need to be a little more productive tomorrow, maybe stay a little late. I'm sure there is way to get out of that meeting on Friday or move it earlier in the day. Out of the office by noon, in the park by one. There, it's all worked out

:cool:

GoldenEars
03-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Since it was my birthday today, Disneyland gave me a very nice surprise gift...the opening of Big Thunder! I know, it wasn't open just for me, but humor me and go with it...it was still a nice surprise gift on my special day!:D

I was at the Park and saw all these people waiting in line for Disney to officially open up Big Thunder. So along with everyone else, my friend and I stood in line and waited too. It only took about 15 mins (great timing on our part) and they finally let us on the attraction!

While walking thru the cue area, I could see they did a lot of fixing up and painting...it was really nice! Once we got on the train and started to go, I only noticed 2 things that really stood out to me.

#1. The ride itself didn't seem near as fast to me. And when it would slow down during certain parts and then pick up momentum again to go faster, that part just seemed so slow!! It felt like it was purposely not wanting to pick up the momentum like it used to...just to be on the safe side.

#2. In the cave where the earthquake is going on, they have a new effect for the falling rocks. They didn't have the rocks looking like they were actually falling. Instead, it looked like they had a projector in the very back showing rocks falling. I didn't care for it, but who knows if the *rocks falling* were just not working today.

Other than that, I didn't notice any major changes. However, there was definitely a new smell throughout the ride. And that smell was the smell of *NEW*...new greased up tracks, paint or something like that.

And they had so many *big wigs* standing all around when they let the people on the ride. And yes, there were camera crews and reporters around the attraction too, interviewing certain riders when the came off the ride. When my friend and I got off the ride, a Disney executive asked us how we liked it.

I'm just thrilled it's back up again...and by the sounds of clapping, cheering and happy yelling, everyone else was too!

Welcome Back, Big Thunder!:D

Patrick

innerSpaceman
03-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm as keen to ride Big Thunder again as most, but it is, after all, a 25-year-old attraction that I've ridden hundreds of times. I'm not gonna get into a lather about it.

Sure, it may be more deathproof or something, but it's basically the same old Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

I have a nagging feeling that, what with this and Space Mountain, the folks at Disney are going to figure that all they have to do to build excitement is close down attractions for a few months or years, and not bother building those pesky and expensive new rides.

sleepyjeff
03-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

I have a nagging feeling that, what with this and Space Mountain, the folks at Disney are going to figure that all they have to do to build excitement is close down attractions for a few months or years, and not bother building those pesky and expensive new rides.

I totally agree. Look for the Matterhorn to need a total, two year long rebuild soon after Space Mt. re-opens.

NirvanaMan
03-10-2004, 08:12 PM
ISM - Pessimistic as always. ;)

I wish I had known, I would have gone after work today! If there is any possible way I can get out of LA early on Thurs or Fri (chances look slim to none) I am THERE! I can't wait. I've only ridden it once since getting my AP! It's been closed longer than I have known everyone on this board.

Freaky.

Good to have you back old freind...

Kevy Baby
03-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by DsneNut
#2. In the cave where the earthquake is going on, they have a new effect for the falling rocks. They didn't have the rocks looking like they were actually falling. Instead, it looked like they had a projector in the very back showing rocks falling. I didn't care for it, but who knows if the *rocks falling* were just not working today.Happy Birthday Patrick! And thanks for the update.

Unless it is something new, I remember the projection of falling rocks being there before. I guess I'll just have to go look myself :)

Durliin
03-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by DsneNut

#1. The ride itself didn't seem near as fast to me. And when it would slow down during certain parts and then pick up momentum again to go faster, that part just seemed so slow!! It felt like it was purposely not wanting to pick up the momentum like it used to...just to be on the safe side.

The Attraction has not Slown down at all there are no new braking areas and Coasters Run on Gravity and momentum it is still the same old Thunder Mountain.... And the Goat should be back by this weekend they were adding new fur to it....

BornieoTheLoveBug
03-10-2004, 11:41 PM
I can't help but think that in a world where a life is cheeper than a gallon of gasoline, a part of me will always remember that someone's life was cut way too short because of a "freak accident." In between the hooops, Yipp-Yip and soprano level screams, a seconds thought of that life would be appropriate and remember the joy that can't be enjoyed by others.

Meantime, can't wait!! :~D

DoomBuggy1969
03-11-2004, 08:10 AM
For anyone thinking that BTM fels slower...it's just not possible to slow down a coaster. Its not motor driven...it coasts. For it to get up the next hill it must reach a certain speed....so if they tried to slow it down, they'd have to shorten hills so that the trains could get over them with less momentum built up. Fear not, they wont be slowing this one down.

Patrick
www.doombuggyproductions.com