PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Calif., Theme Parks Will Get Permanent Security Gates - OC Register, 3/10/04

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
03-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Disney's Anaheim, Calif., Theme Parks Will Get Permanent Security Gates (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/8152428.htm) - Orange County Register, 3/10/04

QuikQuote: The Disneyland Resort plans to build permanent security gates for its theme parks next fall, a lasting symbol that terrorism has changed the way we play. The temporary canopies and barricades now in place will give way to a permanent structure with a Disney theme later this year, officials said.
Rental strollers and wheelchairs also can move freely now between the two parks. Previously, visitors who rented a stroller had to leave it at one park, get a voucher, walk to the other park and pick up another stroller.

Morrigoon
03-10-2004, 12:34 PM
At that point, why not just make it a 1-park admission???

Forbin
03-10-2004, 12:37 PM
I will know who to blame when ticket costs go up to $80

:eek:

Hehe

genenpet
03-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Under what other circumstances might the new gates be a good thing. Could we ever hope that TDA will allow people to move freely from DCA to DLP when DCA closes early... Those lines are something else... Obviously, some 1 day pass holders would benefit, but it would be so much better for everyone...

Wizard69
03-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by genenpet
Under what other circumstances might the new gates be a good thing. Could we ever hope that TDA will allow people to move freely from DCA to DLP when DCA closes early... Those lines are something else... Obviously, some 1 day pass holders would benefit, but it would be so much better for everyone...

You already can move from park to park without having to check your bags again. The system has already been testing and they figured now that it's a good thing and am making it permanent.

Cancer Norm
03-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Great, with all the budget cuts and lack of upkeep the're going to put up more gates, more fences, more walls!! Just what we need!

Damn AlQeda dudes!:mad:

zapppop
03-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by genenpet
Could we ever hope that TDA will allow people to move freely from DCA to DLP when DCA closes early...

You can move freely bewteen the two. You just need a plane ticket for that 6000 mile flight. :D Euro Disney is so nice this time of year!

Disney Nick
03-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
You can move freely bewteen the two. You just need a plane ticket for that 6000 mile flight. :D Euro Disney is so nice this time of year!

Zapppop, always giving others a hard time, are we? You know he meant Disneyland Park :fez:

zapppop
03-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Disney Nick
Zapppop, always giving others a hard time, are we? You know he meant Disneyland Park :fez:
"Disneyland Park" is the name of the Disneyland in France.

AVP
03-10-2004, 05:22 PM
"Disneyland Park" is the name of the Disneyland in France. Actually, it's "Parc Disneyland." I have the t-shirt to prove it.

AVP

zapppop
03-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Do they have shirts which read "Parc Disneyland" ?
The only ones I saw read " Disneyland Park " or " Disneyland Resort Paris ".

EandCDad
03-10-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm glad to see this. It's been much easier to move back and forth with this type of security system. If they aren't going to do away with them altogether, this is the next best thing.

olegc
03-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Forbin

Hehe

And , of course, that translates to the Sports-related Season Ticket Ceiling price for Annual Passes to go up too..
$1000? $2500? $3500?

BJW
03-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Forbin

Hehe I bet they'll consider this if ToT fails to pull more people into DCA. It would be neat to have one gate, but I bet most wouldn't like a high ticket price, like $80.

genenpet
03-11-2004, 04:40 AM
"Disneyland Park" is the name of the Disneyland in France.

And also the name, unless it went out with the new logo, of Disneyland Park in Disneyland. As a former floridian who knows the hell of people saying "I went to Disneyworld and Epcot," I cannot abide the name of the place and the name of the park being the same thing.

So Humph!
:p

Pafuts
03-11-2004, 06:36 AM
I for one am glad to know that they check bags.

Not due to terrorism but due to all those everyday folks packing heat in their handbag.

I have my 2 year old with me, you know?

Let the attacks on me begin! :)

Morrigoon
03-11-2004, 07:30 AM
*takes up the challenge*

It does absolutely no good. It makes things more difficult for the good people, and the bad people are still getting things in.

Not Afraid
03-11-2004, 07:43 AM
I hreally have little opinion about the actual bag check, but the new gates, I LOVE.

danyoung
03-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
It does absolutely no good. It makes things more difficult for the good people, and the bad people are still getting things in.

Didn't we already solve this? ;)

cemeinke
03-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by danyoung
Didn't we already solve this? ;)

Next year we begin the "War on Bad People"

CoasterMatt
03-11-2004, 09:43 AM
How about actually having security doing the bagchecks?

Kevy Baby
03-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I hreally have little opinion about the actual bag check, but the new gates, I LOVE. What new gates? They look like the same old ones to me.

Taking the bag check away from the entrance gate does not (IMHO) change the wait time of getting in. It is extremely rare that you ever saw a ticket person waiting for people to get through inspection. The delays are caused at thue actual turnstile.

Kevy Baby
03-11-2004, 10:27 AM
I've just come up with the solution to security issues at DL:

Everybody has to come in naked and you cannot bring ANYTHING in with you. Need diapers? Get 'em at First Aid. Need a cane? Lean on a friend (or Disney could have "Rent-A-Friend"). Ashamed of your body? Aw, get over it.

Disney Nick
03-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
How about actually having security doing the bagchecks?

This bugs me... At PGA, we do the bag checks, not the admissions people, because, hmmm, it makes sense?

Of course, we also do full on metal detection, which if DL really wants to do something meaningful, they should do.

The metal detection isn't for guest safety as much as it is for in-park security safety when dealing with guests. But of course, most DL guests are exactly the type to start too many problems, save sneaking into places they don't belong *cough*

Of course, metal detection has its faults, but I won't get into those.

Thomas
03-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
What new gates? They look like the same old ones to me.

Taking the bag check away from the entrance gate does not (IMHO) change the wait time of getting in. It is extremely rare that you ever saw a ticket person waiting for people to get through inspection. The delays are caused at thue actual turnstile.

I agree with you. I went last weekend with just my wife (no kids, no bags to check) and I still waited almost 15 minutes at the turnstiles to get in.

There is still confusion on what tickets are good in what park, meaning people are trying to get into DL when they aren't supposed to.

The bag checks are useless. All you have to do is hide something on yourself to get it into the park.