PDA

View Full Version : Which Disney movies should be rides?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SimpTwister
10-14-2001, 07:42 PM
It's kind of surprising how relatively few DL attractions were inspired by movies:

Snow White - Snow White's Scary Adventures
Pinocchio - Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Peter Pan - Peter Pan Flight
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland - Alice In Wonderland & Mad Tea Party
Dumbo - Dumbo & Casey Jr.
Song of the South - Splash Mountain
Tarzan - Tarzan's Treehouse
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Honey, I... (Series) - Honey, I Shrunk The Audience
Indiana Jones (Series) - Indiana Jones Adventure
Star Wars (Series) - Star Tours

OK, that's a lot, but not as many as I expected.

Anyway, which under-represented Disney movie would you like to see get its own attraction, or even its own land?

Some ideas:

The Black Cauldron
Tron
Robin Hood
Aladdin

DisneyFreak2000
10-14-2001, 07:50 PM
NO MORE OWN CHARACTER LANDS!!!! NO MORE OWN CHARACTER LANDS!!! NO MORE OWN CHARACTER LANDS!!! NO ONE CHARACTER SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN LAND!!!

DisneylandBoy
10-14-2001, 08:04 PM
I think they need to make the following rides:

Beauty and the Beast
Cinderella
Little Mermaid (in the old Sub lagoon)
Aladdin (NOT a dumbo type ride, but a Peter Pan type)

That is really all for now.

merlinjones
10-14-2001, 08:06 PM
Don't Forget these DL faves:

Davy Crockett - Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, Mike Fink Keel Boats
*Swiss Family Robinson - SFR Treehouse
*20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Submarine Voyage, 20K Exhibit
Third Man on the Mountain - Matterhorn Bobsleds
Sleeping Beauty - Sleeping Beauty Castle
Sword in the Stone - Sword in the Stone/King Arthur Carousel
(Snow White, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Alice, Pinocchio, 3 Pigs, Lullabye Land, Mermaid, Aladdin) - StorybookLand
The African Queen - Jungle Cruise
Aladdin - Aladdin's Oasis

innerSpaceman
10-14-2001, 08:08 PM
I've often wondered what (besides the extaordinary money required of course) prevented the synergy boys at Disney from turning just about every one of the animated films into theme park attractions.

Particularly begging for this sort of treatment are, I think, Little Mermaid and Aladdin - as both could feature the sort of ride method (flying carpet and dry for wet perhaps) that could give Peter Pan a run for its money as the most popular of the dark rides. Let's face it, folks just love that flying perspective. Both of the above films could inspire rides that move through unique environments in interesting and unusual ways - with soaring carpet rides and under the sea adventures providing for ways to get into the 3rd dimensionality of it, and further away from cars on tracks than even the flying pirate ships are now.

merlinjones
10-14-2001, 08:10 PM
I'd like to see Disneyland attractions based on the following Disney films:

Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Little Mermaid
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Swiss Family Robinson
Mary Poppins
TRON
The Three Caballeros
Zorro
Toy Story

SimpTwister
10-14-2001, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
NO MORE OWN CHARACTER LANDS!!!! NO MORE OWN CHARACTER LANDS!!! NO MORE OWN CHARACTER LANDS!!! NO ONE CHARACTER SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN LAND!!!

Are there any 'own character lands'? I guess there are at DisneySea...

Anyway, I generally agree that there shouldn't be lands devoted to one character, but there are exceptions.

Star Wars, for example, could (and should!) have its own land.

Star Wars really doesn't have anything in common with Tomorrowland anyway. "A long time ago...", remember?

Disney Fan Matt
10-14-2001, 08:55 PM
Aladdin should have a dark ride. Suspended like Peter pan, but longer than Peter Pan. I like Peter Pan, but the line is always too long and the ride is too short.
Aladdin has potential.

Not sure where you could put it, but a Toy Story ride would be awesome.
Maybe I'm getting too deep here, but you could ride in the RC cars. :)
I think that would be the coolest new dark ride.
I suppouse Fantasyland would be the only place for it. Good luck finding room though...

A Bugs Life has its own attraction too, at DCA and AK. i don't think anyone mentioned it yet.

coronamouseman
10-14-2001, 09:00 PM
Obviously 20K Leagues Under the Sea is great fodder for rides -
you have the original movie version by Disney and you have the
"Captain Nemo" franchise which has provided past attractions for both Disneyland (20K Leagues exhibit featuring "The Squid") and WDW (20K Leagues Submarine Voyage) and currently is the basis for DisneySea's new 20K Leagues Submarine Voyage and their Journey to the Center of the Earth ride. I would suspect, however, that the "Mysterious Island" complex of DisneySea will not appear stateside until Disney builds new parks in either Florida or California - Mt. Prometheus is exactly the type of park identifier or icon that Disney always seeks to "brand" a particular park.

More likely that there will be ride tie-ins to new movies, such as the supposed coaster for AK based upon an upcoming movie about dragons (hopefully they will not be "dueling" lest Disney's friends at IOA become perturbed .....)

mrfantasmic
10-14-2001, 09:27 PM
Actually, I've always thought Aladdin should be a roller coaster. I like the idea of having a "Cave of Wonders" ride. The cars would be carpets and would clutch a rail to each side, kind of like a heartline twister (for those Roller Coaster Tycoons) except this would have turns...
Maybe in Adventureland, Aladdin has his little oasis thing.

Jon Vincible
10-14-2001, 10:21 PM
I think Mulan would make a nice dark ride, it would really only fit in Fantasyland, even there, it wouldn't fit, no room. So realistically i guess you gotta think of movies that could fit in some other land. That kinda narrows the list a bit though. I've never been to the Aladdin's Oasis thing in Adventureland, what is that? Someone mentioned it but i don't think it's a ride is it? I thought it was a resturaunt or something, ah anyways, Even though i can't think of where it would go, 101 Dalmations might be cool.

baileykat
10-15-2001, 09:28 AM
Maybe a Toy Story ride with RC Cars...maybe like Rocket Rods..but this ride would actually work!...
I think an Aladdin ride would be cool...Little Mermaid could for sure take over the lagoon...It would be much cooler than the subs...with the Under the Sea music playing...Jungle Book could make for a good ride...Maybe a Beauty and the Beast castle...you could walk thru and everything is animatronic and talks to you....

Ace
10-16-2001, 03:56 PM
FOOLS!!!! ALL OF YOU!!!!! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THE MOST RECENT (?) ANIMATED DISNEY MOVIE IS THE BEST CANDIDATE FOR A RIDE!!! YES, EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE OF COURSE!!!

ahem... but it is an excellent idea. That movie is hilarious.... it'll be a dark ride but at the end you'll go to the secret door and the llama will pull the "other" lever and your car will fall into a crocodile pit and someone will say "why does she even have that letter.......: mmmmmmmmmm

blusilva
10-16-2001, 04:01 PM
I always thought The Nightmare Before Christmas deserved it's own ride. And I finally got my wish, if only for a little while.

Cinderella needs a ride. And definitely Mary Poppins!

Tink
10-16-2001, 05:04 PM
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow as a dark ride - of course, where you go through the scenes of the movie and end up being chased by the Headless Horseman as you race for the covered bridge.

lillas
10-16-2001, 05:24 PM
how about "the Priest". The bad guy will be a cchristian pedophile, and the good guy a homosexual priest. The kids will love it

Nigel2
10-16-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
FOOLS!!!! ALL OF YOU!!!!! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THE MOST RECENT (?) ANIMATED DISNEY MOVIE IS THE BEST CANDIDATE FOR A RIDE!!! YES, EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE OF COURSE!!!

Wasn't the most recent movie Atlantis? But yeah a Emperor's new grove ride would be fun.

SimpTwister
10-16-2001, 06:29 PM
WOO HOO!

Sleepy Hollow!! I love that idea. This is The Number One Movie That Needs To Become A Ride, IMO!!

I agree that Nightmare Before Christmas should have its own ride. The Mansion thing is well and good, but NBC really deserves even more!

I like the Cave of Wonders idea too. It would have to be an actual ride (not a simulator), and the Magic Carpet vehicles would have to be done just right.

Too bad there's no room in Adventureland, although I suppose Aladdin could go in Fantasyland.

DisneylandKid
10-16-2001, 06:51 PM
If I could pick any 3 movies to be made into attractions, they'd be: (in this order) Beauty & The Beast, Lion King, and The Little Mermaid. Aladdin, Toy Story, and some others are close behind.

Ace
10-16-2001, 07:49 PM
emperors...........new............groove.......... .... yeah. but any movie that needs to be a ride, not just Disney? I'd have to say.......MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL DARK RIDE

Morrigoon
10-16-2001, 08:38 PM
Okay, as a Disney purist, I'm SURE other purists will get on my back for this one, but hear me out:

Remove Storybookland, but save the ride units from the canals and Casey Jr., set aside for the moment (this is beginning to sound like a recipe, lol)
Remove part of the backstage area between Fantasyland Theatre and Storybookland. Consider the possibility of losing the lower seating from the theatre and moving the stage forward to make room for my next idea.

Expand Fantasyland. Leave the walkways to Frontierland and the Small World Mall areas intact, and put the new buildings where Storybookland is/was. Leave Dumbo where it is, but theme the back side too, as it would now be in the middle (ala the Carousel). Continue the European Village look back into the area, and build attractions for the previously overlooked princesses. Beauty and the Beast, with AA characters (near or on par with Pirates AAs) using the driverless carriages or a horsecart (not sure how you'd do that w/out horses though). Cinderella, using an open-top royal carriage (with facing seats) which would require more thorough theming but I think the kids would love the idea of riding backwards. Then you could possibly add Robin Hood as well. Now the theming of the area would wrap around the corner (opposite Village Haus), where the queue for Forbidden Mountain, Fantasyland's first E-ticket, would begin. It would climb up over the CM tunnel (where the Skyway station is) and enter the ride up there. Obviously there would be an SAP entrance elsewhere. The attraction itself would replace the (aptly named) Festival of Fools corporate picnic area. Many folks here have already seen many people's suggestions for Forbidden Mountain, a Maleficent-themed E-ticket ride in the dark (my version is a kind of Space Mtn-meets-Indy).
What became of the Casey Jr and Storybookland boats, you ask? Well, the Storybook land boats would be reused in a nice little outdoor canal wending its way around the attractions in that part of the park. Over the canal would be some picturesque wooden bridges, such as the one near Snow White's well. If enough back stage area could be spared, it could enter a show building. Perhaps a variation on an idea of the past: The Candy Mountain Canal Boats. Candy mountain would be fairly smallish, but big enough to make an impressive entrance for the showbuilding, as well as make a decent part of the Fantasyland skyline. Inside the show building would be Small World-esque AA's singing candy songs (don't tell me you can't think of a few!) As a joke, they could toss in a Hansel and Gretel munching on a cottage near the end. Now, of course, none of this would be ACTUALLY edible, as Walt had envisioned, but the inside portion of the ride would be fairly short anyway. This attraction could be built for a planned holiday conversion to Toyland (from Babes in Toyland) for the holidays. But mostly, it would be eye candy in the land. And yes, the boarding area, and even Monstro could stay put. As an added attraction, CMs could have a bowl of DL's salt-water taffy on board to give riders (sounds silly to give away, but it might help sell the taffy). Anyway, it would tie in the Gingerbread men, etc from the Xmas parade :) It may be possible to squeeze in Mulan, if it were tucked around a corner, like a private garden. This would be easiest next to/behind(ish) the Cinderella ride, as the time period would permit sufficient knowledge of China to justify the wealthy owning a Chinese garden. if this garden area were large enough (I'm running out of room though!) This would be a nice spot to pop in either a quick-service Chinese food restaurant, or a window that served wor wonton soup and eggrolls. If the Cinderella ride had a ground level front, that led guests up a grand-looking staircase, the Cinderella ride could be above the Mulan ride (like Alice and Toad). But for access reasons it would be better for the boarding area to be ground level and the ride to move up or down.

I'm sure I could think of more if I was actually drawing this, but I'm at work and trying to envision cramming it all in ;)

Jon Vincible
10-16-2001, 09:06 PM
Wait i didn't understand exactley what the Mulan ride was. Was it a garden or a dark ride?

SimpTwister
10-16-2001, 09:11 PM
Morrigoon, I love the idea of adding a 'back' to Fantasyland with additional dark rides, and Villain Mountain/Forbidden Mountain in the Festival area!

I don't know if I could handle losing Storybook Land though. I just love Casey Jr. and the Canal Boats, they are some of the few not-at-all-scary rides for very small children.

As has been said, though, there's plenty of room for SEVERAL attractions in the Motor Boat/Sub Lagoon area! Maybe they could just move Storybook Land over there... There would still be plenty of expansion room left over for Tomorrowland expansion, or Little Mermaid or whatever.

Morrigoon
10-16-2001, 11:34 PM
Note that the Storybookland canal boats get reused. It might be possible to reuse SOME of the models from it along the new canals. I haven't come up with what to do with casey jr yet though. It would be pretty out of place in the more European Fantasyland.

I think the motor boat cruise ought to be reopened. Period.

SimpTwister
10-16-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I think the motor boat cruise ought to be reopened. Period.

I could live with that!!!

What would it cost, 3 or 4 CM's and refurbishment of a few boats, maybe a new station? Do it NOW!!