PDA

View Full Version : Schools out in December?

CarlieB
03-10-2004, 11:01 AM
We'll be at DL from 10 December to 15 December this year. I'm just wondering, will schools be out by then, or not? I'm not sure if this will be part of the "Christmas peak time" I hear so much about, or whether it should be a bit less crowded.

MickeyD
03-10-2004, 01:17 PM
I'd guess that the majority of schools will still be in session then. Friday December 17th is probably the last day of school before winter break for many schools.

CarlieB
03-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Great! That's what I was hoping:) Thanks for that.

adriennek
03-10-2004, 02:54 PM
You're not going to like this answer, BUT... "Except for Year-Round Schools..."

With the Year-Round School system, there is ALWAYS at least one track of students who are out. Several school districts that I know of use 4-track YR schedules. The most popular schedule in at least two of those districts is the one that has vacation in August, December, and April. (Which totally baffles me on a few levels, but, OK. I think that having July off is far superiour to having August off and it doesn't disjoint the school year as much and gives me the 4 weeks before Winter Break to have the kids in SCHOOL...)

Anyway, there *will* be a large number of year-round students who will be off during that time. I don't know how much it will affect park attendance, but they will be off.

Adrienne

Disney Vault
03-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Majority of the schools are year round though. My school has a break in Dec, Feb, April, and then July and August off.

pisces
03-10-2004, 06:07 PM
My question is when do they put up the Christmas Decorations? I'm planning on a Dec 7-11 visit, but do they put the decorations up that soon in the Grand Californian and the rest of the Park, or do they wait until later in the month?

CarlieB
03-10-2004, 06:09 PM
We were at DL from November 13 - 16 last year, and the decorations were up in the parks then. I don't think the GCH was decorated though - I think that happens around the end of November. They should definitely be up by the time you're there though (we'll coincide for 1 day!) :)

disney_leonard
03-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Disney has discovered what many experienced MPers have known for a long time- the parks have low attendance the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas vacation. So they have So Cal resident specials for about half price during this time. As a result, last year both parks were heavily attended the weeks prior to Christmas. But the parks are decorated from early November and the crowds get very intense the weeks immediately before and after Christmas. I still love going and seeing the parks decorated. I avoid Christmas weeks unless I have out of town visitors who want to go. Then I suck it up and "suffer". Oh, the humanity!