PDA

View Full Version : Help us choose which Disneyland hotel...

nurselisa
03-09-2004, 08:59 PM
We are planning a trip to Disneyland the last week of Aug/ beginning of Sept for 4 nights. It will be my husband and I and our 6 year old son. And my Friend and her 5 year old son. So 3 adults and 2 children. We really want to stay on at one of the Disney Hotels (none of us have ever stayed onsite only at Good Neighbor Hotels) so they kids have a great Disney Experience. We also would like to have a close convienient place so that if one of the kids, or adults, needs to go back to the room for a rest, it's not a big deal. We are back and fourth between the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. I love the idea of being so close to the Parks in the Grand Californian. But It sounds like the Disneyland Hotel will give the kids a more "Disney Atmosphere".
So here are the choices that will fit into our budget. Could you tell me which you would chose for our circumstance? I'd love to hear from people who have stayed in a 1 bedroom suite at DL Hotel to see if they think 3 adults and 2 boys would go crazy in that space together for 5 days and 4 nights.:eek:

#1 Grand Californian 2 Standard Rooms (one for each family)

#2 Disneyland Hotel 2 Standard Rooms (one for each family)

#3 Disneyland Hotel 1 Bedroom Suite (comes with Conceirge Service so we can get the complimentary snacks and water and WINE!!:D )

ppmuse
03-10-2004, 07:42 AM
A couple of things, the Grand California definitely does have the disney touch, coming from one who liked to look around the Wilderness Lodge at WDW. You even get views, if it's running, of the monorail coming through. They also have a nice little snack/restaurant by the pool that has really good grilled cheese sandwiches and fries, and cheap. Here's a small list of some great points for Grand California:

Quick access to Downtown Disney and California Adventure. After a long day, the short walk is really nice
My wife and I first got fast passes for the Grizzly Rapids, went back to the hotel and changed into swimsuits, went back and rode the ride, then jumped right into the pool in a matter of seconds, very cool
The lobby is nice to just sit and relax, plus the fireplace adds a lot

Disneyland Hotel is a fun hotel, but doesn't have the charm of the Grand California. Here's a couple of pluses and minues:

Consierge is nice, you can eat snacks while watching the fireworks. Some of the rooms can let you watch the fireworks and listen to the music at all the hotels
Long walk to either park, after a long day, it's a REALLY long walk
The Peter Pan pool rules, best pool around

The Pier's only pluses are that it has a nice buffet and easy access into CA Adv.

My choice would be Grand California. Nice restaurants, a lot more theming than either hotel, close to the parks, and more places to just relax.

nurselisa
03-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks PPMuse! THat's really good information. I am excited about being able to do water rides this time since it will be warm in Augest. We went in Oct last time, and it was a bit too breezy to be walking around all wet! I never thought about the option of going to the room and changing into swim suits!

I am wondering if I should book this now, or if they price may go down between now and the end of Aug. The week we are going is the first day of the lower season rates. Through Get Away Today we can get 5 Days 4 nights at Gran Calimfornian (2 standard rooms) with 5 day park hoppers, character breakfast and admission to Universal Studios for all 5 of us for about $2350. That seems pretty good for that property. What do you think? Do I chance it and wait or should we book now?

ppmuse
03-12-2004, 07:40 AM
According to the Disney Magazine, they recommend doing your reservations as early as possible. If the hotel starts to fill up, then they start raising the prices.

I think that's a good deal. My wife and I went last July and stayed for the weekend for about 1500, including flight from Sacramento. Usually the Disney Magazine is right, it would be interesting to see what others say.

cactusgirl
03-12-2004, 10:45 AM
1. reservations--make them now. However, chack the rates every few weeks. As long as it is 60 or 90 (i forgot which) days out, you can change the reservations for free. In fact, I believe that if there is a lower rate 30 days out, they will still allow you to get the lower rate.

2. CG vs DLH We like both. If we want to be pampered, we do CG. However, we adore the breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. It is the best character breakfast. We thought the walk to DL was nice, a type of decompression after the day. DLH is magical. However, the key here is the type of room you get--the largest rooms are the 2 queens with a sleeper sofa. I would not try to do the two families in a single suite. However, the two bedroom suite might be a better option. If it were me, I would get teh two rooms and spend the difference on character breakfasts.

Have a super day!

Pat-n-Eil
03-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Having stayed at both - I can say uniquivocally that the Grand Californian is th emost comfortable and convenient hotel to Disneyland. We got a Theme Park view - which also looks over the pools. When you open the sliding glass door or go out on your balcony, you can hear the sounds of the park, people having fun, music.. it was great!

For me, I thought the cleanliness of the Grand Californian was top notch and the most comfortable beds of any hotel I've ever stayed in!.

My family agrees.. if we can afford it, we will definitely be staying there again next time we go.

nurselisa
03-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like The Grand Californian is where we want to be. I love the idea of being so close, and I'm glad to hear the kids will still have a very "DISNEY" experience. When I was a kid my family could never afford to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. I'm glad I can do this for my son!

I was wondering if airfare is going to be a problem for our dates though. I realized we are not staying over a Saturday. I hope that doesn't keep us from getting a good rate. I planned on only booking the hotel and park ticket package and continueing to shop for airfare as we get closer to August. Right now rates are about 125-150 More than I"ve paid in the past. I figured that was because the deals for the end of summer travel aren't out yet. But maybe it's because we aren't staying over a Saturday! Oh well. I'm gonna take my chances on this!