PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly River Run Geyser

Pages : [1] 2

CarlieB
03-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Is the geyser on GRR seasonally activated, or does it work year-round? Last time we rode GRR was in November and the geyser was still going - it totally soaked us at least once. Just wondering if it still operates in December, when temperatures are likely to be a bit lower?

Cadaverous Pallor
03-09-2004, 12:13 PM
I've seen it run at all times of the year, and seen it off randomly as well. Perhaps it's up to whoever's working the ride to turn it on and off? Or maybe it's just a matter of it sometimes being non-functional?

innerSpaceman
03-09-2004, 12:16 PM
I have ridden GRR dozens of times and - until last time - was never victimized by the geyser. I didn't even know it was possible.

We made it through the entire ride without a soaking until we came unsuspectingly towards the geyser, which then - without warning - dumped a gallon of water on each of us in the raft.

Might as well have those coin-operated water bazookas that malevolent guests can use to sadistically soak passing raft riders.

CarlieB
03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
I know!! That's exactly what happened to us. we'd been congratulating ourselves on a relatively dry ride, when all of a sudden - whoosh! It was like having a shower with your clothes on! It was hilarious at the time, but I'm not sure I'd be too keen if it was at a cooler time of year...

tod
03-09-2004, 12:59 PM
If you're speaking of the geysers shooting up in the homestretch after the spinning falls, yes they are subject to being turned on and off by the operators. The tod Family went on the ride on a chilly Christmas day a year or two ago and I thought the ride was over until I saw the geysers, which diabolically shoot water straight up from the middle of the channel -- you are safe from getting wet only when your raft is right over the geyser.

They weren't turned on for quite a while after that, and I thought I remembered it wrong until I saw them on again.

The geysers aren't "seasonal," but they are subject to operator control.

--t

CarlieB
03-09-2004, 01:03 PM
I guess a bonus of staying at the GCH is that if you got totally soaked on GRR you could always just go back to your hotel and get changed without spending too much time...I hate walking round with wet trousers - wet on top I can handle, but not wet trousers...urgh!

scaeagles
03-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Does the operator flip a switch and they are on and fired randomly by some computer function, or does the operator turn it on and off every time it fires?

BryanPeek
03-09-2004, 02:54 PM
The Geyser runs in December. At least when I went. I got so soaked. It was awesome! I think it's one of the best rides in DCA.

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know what the difference is between this ride in the summer, as opposed to winter? My understanding is that they can alter how wet of a ride it is. I wouldn't think that the only factor was the geyser switch. Anyone know the specifics?

We stood on the bridge one day to see how often the geyser soaked people. It seemed at the time to be about once for every 10 rafts. This estimate also lines up with about how many times I've been a victim of this unexpected shower. By the way, it was really to fun to just sit and watch people get the geyser treatment. There is always such a calm before the storm, as in "Ah, the ride is over now, this wasn't so bad". Then the screams start. :)

tod
03-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by scaeagles
Does the operator flip a switch and they are on and fired randomly by some computer function, or does the operator turn it on and off every time it fires?

Sometimes they're functioning, sometimes they aren't. When they are on, they fire intermittently: it isn't continuous.

What triggers 'em? Random? Timed? Operator with an evil grin and a big red button? You got me.

--t

CarlieB
03-09-2004, 03:09 PM
When I went on this ride several times in November, the leaky pipes on the lift were (mainly) not going, which might have been because the weather was a bit cooler. There's nothing like the anticipation as you approach the geyser area though - is it going to get us? Yes? No? Good fun...:D

DCACM
03-09-2004, 06:08 PM
There are 3 geyser/water effect options:

"Normal" self-explanatory.
"Cold Weather" shuts off only the leaky pipes on the lift.
"Windy day" reduces the height of the geysers to prevent the rooms in the Grand Californian from getting soaked and to minimize slipping hazard on HWY 49.

The big geyser is always on, year round unless its broken like most of last Summer.

CarlieB
03-09-2004, 06:23 PM
"Windy day" reduces the height of the geysers to prevent the rooms in the Grand Californian from getting soaked and to minimize slipping hazard on HWY 49.

Wow, that's interesting - I hadn't thought of those possibilities, but they make sense. Thanks for clearing that up DCACM:)

DonaldDuck14
03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
OMG, i hate getting that geyser. I would be somewhat dry after the last drop and when that thing goes off, boy am i soaked. And then u get laughed at by all the people watching on the nearby bridge.

Icy Bacon
03-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm quite sure the geyser was entirely off along with the pipes when I went on it in the evening right before all the holiday stuff came down. The CM at the entrance said they turned off the geyser and the leaky pipes, and even then half the rafts were empty.

MonorailMan
03-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I have ridden GRR dozens of times and - until last time - was never victimized by the geyser. I didn't even know it was possible.

So were there, and I hear ISM who looks behind him, and he's like "What the...", and then I'm like "Holy...AHHHHHH!" :D

CarlieB
03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
If there is such a noise as across between hysterical laughter & screaming then that is the noise our entire raft made when the geyser hit us...it was crazy! (and I'd do it again in a second:D )

Slate
03-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Aside from the geyser and leaky pipe settings. I believe they have a summer and winter switch for the wetness of the rapids.
They have gates under the water that direct the water and waves based on this setting.

Went in Nov when it was in the 50's and the leaky pipes were off. But the geyser was alive and kicking.

Went last weekend and leaky pipes were a leaking. Its funny watching unexpecting guests getting a stream of water in their face.
Funny because they do not expect it since the ride has not officially started till you get to the top of the hill.

Worst is when you sit by the door and on the first big drop the door is facing down stream. Yikes!

Great ride!

ToursbabeC3po
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
I have not been on this atrraction in a good year and I have to admit it is one of the best river rides I have been on with all the drops! But I am a whimp when it comes to getting wet! I think I will tough it out this Friday with my kids. They always want to go even when it is freezing. What is it with kids and water anyways? It can be 10 below and they still want to go on a water ride.

mamabot
03-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
We made it through the entire ride without a soaking until we came unsuspectingly towards the geyser, which then - without warning - dumped a gallon of water on each of us in the raft.

I have to get those pictures developed! I think I actually captured the moment when the water got them. So fun to watch!

stitchfan_cm
03-11-2004, 12:46 PM
My CM friend told me that they were going to Code 90 last weekend, and I know that up here in the High Desert, it's hitting 90 degrees no problem. And you know what...

GRR sounds REALLY good right about now! (Geyser and ALL!)

CarlieB
03-11-2004, 12:50 PM
It's great in summer....you can get absolutely soaked on GRR, walk over to Paradise Pier and sit in the sun for 10 minutes and be totally dry again!:)

Kevy Baby
03-11-2004, 01:41 PM
I must shamefully admit to never having ridden this ride :( Usually when we go, its cold. The one we were there when it was actually warm, I was still wearing my clothes from work (came down to meet GusGus & friends) and really didn't want to ruin what I was weaing (wool slacks, silk tie and leather shoes do not mix well with heavily chlorinated DHMO.)

happyhaunts999
03-11-2004, 02:16 PM
I have yet to be hit by this monster you call Geyser. I hope it never happens*knock on wood* Well at least not on a cold day.

Icy Bacon
03-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I believe they have a summer and winter switch for the wetness of the rapids.
They have gates under the water that direct the water and waves based on this setting.Up north at Paramount's Great America I've seen the raft ride dry many times, and the rapids are all caused by ~8" diameter drainage pipe bolted to the cement trough, and in a few places, heavy wooden planks. GRR, being more than 10 years newer and far more expensive, probably has a more sturdy cement arrangement, but it's certainly not movable gates. If there's a difference in the ride itself, it's probably adjustments in the pumping levels or something like that.

Still get seriously wet even when you're lucky on a winter night... of course my pants always seem to take the brunt of everything. :(