PDA

View Full Version : Inside the new Space Mountain

haunted_mike
03-09-2004, 09:11 AM
This picture is taken from Screamscape.com and shows work progressing well on Space Mountain for the new park in Hong Kong:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/hong_kong_disneyland_2.html

Now, it's been rumoured/confirmed/whatever'd that the rebuild of Space Mountain in Anaheim is going to be a clone of this new version of the original ride. Phew, things are getting complicated aren't they?

To recap: the thinking behind this theory being that they simply told the ride manufacturers to make two of everything, one for Hong Kong and one for Anaheim, thus helping Esiner and Co. save a few dollar$.

What do you think, is this what Anaheim's rebuild will look like? How does this compare with the original layout of the ride (I'm not really familiar with the layout of the ride, it's in the dark after all :-) )?

IMO, for what it's worth, I think the layout of the ride in the picture looks pretty great with lots of twists and turns, and space for **theming** (remember that?). Not so sure about those grey walkways around the edge of the tracks though.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Looks the same as the old layout to me.

Disneyfreak
03-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Doesn't look exact but really similar.

Jeremiah
03-09-2004, 09:26 PM
I know I read someplace that it will be the EXACT same ride as before. But the reason the pic looks a lil diffrent is cause the track has to be wider then before with all the codes and all.

J

Bruce Bergman
03-09-2004, 09:50 PM
The new track has to be structurally stronger, because the cars are heavier than originally built - the sound systems were added to the cars after the ride was opened. They had a big problem with stress cracks in the old track truss from those heavier cars with a different CG.

But they're keeping the same track layout so they don't have to re-engineer that, too. They know it works, and they can keep the same soundtrack.

Hong Kong has it easy, they can build the track in the open and then build the roof over it when they're done - Anaheim is being done by the "Ship in a Bottle" method with the roof in place.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--