PDA

View Full Version : Holiday "snow" on Main St...what do you think?

mspangler
10-14-2001, 12:46 PM
I haven't been to DL at Christmas for a few years...last year I heard about some "snow effect" that was done at night along with the holiday parade.

Since I'm going this Christmas, I'm wondering if they'll be doing the snow thing....for those who have seen it, what do (did) you think of it?

Jason Reynolds
10-14-2001, 12:59 PM
I thought the snow was a grand idea, it fell when the fireworks from the holiday believe show was going on. It was very romantic and festive at the same time for my fiance and I.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-14-2001, 01:32 PM
The snow is fun....I hear they are extending it to outside of Main Street, which is good, since it was always shoulder to shoulder. I don't know how they'll do it though, since it comes down from the buildings.

Maybe I shouldn't say HOW they do it and spoil the surprise for those that don't know.

MickeyD
10-14-2001, 01:40 PM
The snow is a cool effect. I don't even like fireworks shows, and I like the holiday version of Believe.

vault_disney
10-14-2001, 02:32 PM
The snow acutally falls in three areas:

Main St.

New Orleans Waterfront Area

Small World Plaza

I saw it at all three locations last year, and thought the best was Main St.

JRob2k1
10-14-2001, 02:44 PM
The snow is one of the most "magical" things Disney has created in awhile...IMO of course!!

A must see...breathtaking!

-JRob

innerSpaceman
10-14-2001, 06:44 PM
Snow is great and wonderful. Only problem is that it snows for a while and then the lights come up and it's over. I think they need a really strong fireworks finale after the snowfall. To me, that's Believe's weakest element - the music is just not as dyanmic with fireworks as Fantasy-in-the-Sky, and - pretty as the Believe fireworks are - the finale is weak compared to either of the Fantasy in the Sky finales (either the main section or the patriotic section).

Hate to quibble like that. The snow really is marvelous and charming.

DisneylandBoy
10-15-2001, 05:59 AM
The Snow is amazing! I disagree with innerSpaceman, I like ending with the snow, you really get to focus on it for as long as you want. It is soooooo amazing to be standing in Disneyland and have it start snowing! One of the best things they have EVER done!

Nigel2
10-15-2001, 11:28 AM
Could you imagine if they spent the big bucks and had it all over the park? Even on big thunder trail.

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2001, 11:39 AM
I think my favorite view of the snow was from the steps up to the Railroad station. As long as you focus below the roofline ;) it looks REALLY neat to see all of Main Street being dusted in snow.

LKSearcy
10-15-2001, 01:50 PM
Snow without the cold? Great!! That's one thing my son and I are looking forward to when we go in December! :D

The coldness and the darkness can get old when your winters are about 5-6 months long. ;)

One thing that I love to see is when the snow (real or otherwise) is falling softly in the light of a street lamp or the moon.

Nigel2
10-15-2001, 09:51 PM
Well if you go arround christmas it will be nice, heck afew years ago it was in the high 70's so we barbequed for dinner (we were planing to do that anyway) I don't know if the street lamps stay lit during the snow or not.

Matterhorn Fan
10-16-2001, 03:56 AM
I know they cut most of the lights during the fireworks, and I *think* they were brought back up for the snow portion (also that's when everyone starts to move out of the park, so lights would be a good thing).

The snow effect was/is amazing. Snow without the cold, without the wetness, and best of all, it doesn't stick--no salt, no sand, no mess. It's the best kind of snow there is!

baileykat
10-16-2001, 05:22 AM
I can not wait to see it!!!!!

Never been to DL at Xmas time!...

Morrigoon
10-16-2001, 11:37 PM
The best place to stand for the snow is BETWEEN Main St buildings. Get up in there, between the watch shop and Clothiers, and you'll really get to experience it. I've seen it make grown women cry.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-17-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by vault_disney
The snow acutally falls in three areas:

Main St.

New Orleans Waterfront Area

Small World Plaza

I saw it at all three locations last year, and thought the best was Main St.
Oh my gosh, I had no idea they were doing it in places other than Main Street last year! Now I totally want to visit the other snowy spots.

Oh, and it may not be cold or messy, but I've seen people with their heads covered in a tower of "snow", and I've realized I didn't want to be covered in it. It looks good falling, though.

Morrigoon
10-17-2001, 03:49 PM
Ever look at the ground though? It disappears :) I won't reiterate how it's done because I don't want to spoil it for those who have yet to experience it. But getting "snow" on your head is hardly a problem, just shake it off.