PDA

View Full Version : A summers day in March – 3/8/04 Trip Report

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-08-2004, 09:38 PM
A summers day in March – 3/8/04 Trip Report

We decided today that it was just too beautiful outside to sit at home. It felt like a summer day, even though it is still “winter”. (gotta love California). Disneyland seemed like the place to be. Particularly appealing to us was the fact the last few trips we have made have been cold, rainy, and pretty gloomy. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore DL in the rain. We were however, ready for a nice hot day for a change, with no coats, no ponchos, no hot chocolate. We got our wish.

One of the first things we rode was Grizzly River Rapids. I have heard that they have the ability to control how wet the guests get, depending on the weather. While it could have just been a coincidence, we got freakin soaked on this ride today. Not damp, not wet, ... absolutely drenched. And you know what? It felt great. We dried pretty quickly.

After a spin on California Screamin’ to further dry off, we headed to Disneyland. It has been a long time since I have been to Disneyland when it was so hot. It reminded me of a lot of days of my youth, visiting with my family while on vacation to Southern CA. When I was little, I never focused on how hot it was outside. It didn’t matter, I was at Disneyland. Today felt the same way. Besides, the great thing about hot days, is how really good the air conditioning feels when you finally get inside a ride. The Haunted Mansion never felt better. Likewise with "Pirates". On my favorite ride, the Jungle Cruise, we got a really good skipper today. I didn’t catch his name but he had the whole boat laughing out loud. He used a lot of lines that I haven’t heard before, which always scores points with me. And the Jungle Cruise, while awesome in the rain, really is neat when it is hot out. I guess the heat just works with the theme.

Then came Splash Mountain. We got on right as the sun was going down. Now, I usually get anywhere from a little to moderately wet on this ride, but nothing that doesn’t dry pretty quickly. Until today, that is. Let’s just put it this way. My shorts and shirt are still wet and the park has been closed for almost 3 hours as I write this. I got just about as wet on Splash as I did on Grizzly. That was a surprise.

We decided to head over to Matterhorn to dry off a little and took the Big Thunder trail to Fantasyland. This little stroll is what really made my day. They are taking down the wall finally and the trail looks so much better. You can see the waterfall and track again. I really missed seeing that. I can’t wait for this ride to re-open. Another change, one that should make non-smokers a little happier, is that they moved the smoking section a little farther from the main path and it is laid out much better. There are also a lot more benches in the entire pathway.

Other tidbits….

The monorail was not running today. That was kind of sad to see.

I noticed a large tear in the wallpaper in the ballroom at HM. I couldn’t help but feel that something like that would just kill Walt to see. By the way, it sure seems like there are more ghosts in there than I noticed before.

No Mark Twain either today. What going on with that??? It was just refurbished!

Anyway, I know my trip reports aren’t exactly filled with a bunch of earth-shattering information, but they are always fun for me to write. Every day at Disneyland for me is a day that is magical in its own way. Thanks for allowing me to share. :)

MouseWife
03-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Thank you for your report.

Ah, yes, trips with the family as a child. Never did notice the heat. Or the cold. Just wanted to be there. :)

And, so true about the air conditioning feeling just that much better!!

Getting on the train and resting those tired doggies!!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane........:)

safetybar
03-08-2004, 10:40 PM
I always thought that tear in the wallpaper in the mansion was there for atmosphere. Hasn't it been there all the time?

TP2000
03-09-2004, 12:51 AM
The Monorail was closed for the entire day?

danyoung
03-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by MotorBoat Cruiser
Anyway, I know my trip reports aren’t exactly filled with a bunch of earth-shattering information, but they are always fun for me to write. Every day at Disneyland for me is a day that is magical in its own way. Thanks for allowing me to share. :)

Thanks for posting - your trip report was exactly the right length! I've been reading some of the WDW trip reports here on Mouseplanet lately. Man, do some people like to put in detail!

Glad you had such a nice day!

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by TP2000
The Monorail was closed for the entire day?

Well, I can't account for the whole day, as we arrived in the afternoon. From the time we got there though (2:45pm) until we left (7:45pm), we never saw a monorail.

CarlieB
03-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I really enjoy your trip reports MotorBoat Cruiser...I don't get to the Parks often (once a year if I'm lucky) so it's great to read recent reports to keep me on top of things. How'd you manage to get so wet on Splash? I've ridden so many times, and never gotten soaked...GRR on the other hand...:D

JenGood008
03-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the trip report! They're always so much fun to read!

About the tear in the wallpaper at HM - I believe it's always been there. Walt wanted to keep the outside of the mansion "neat and tidy" so it fit in with the overall theme of the park, but he told the imagineers that they could do whatever they wanted with the inside. I once read that if you really use your imagination, the tear looks like a kangaroo, but I'm not sure about that one!

Glad to hear that you had a good time!

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
How'd you manage to get so wet on Splash? I've ridden so many times, and never gotten soaked...GRR on the other hand...:D

I would kind of like to know myself. :) All I can figure is that, it appeared that there was a lot of weight in our log. Perhaps that caused more water to enter than usual. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't the big drop at the end that drenched us. Rather, it was the one inside, in the dark ride portion of the ride. This wave of water just sort of surged into the log. I was in the front seat, by the way.

Thanks to all for the kind words about my trip reports. They are really enjoyable for me as I love to write and I love talking about Disneyland.

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JenGood008
About the tear in the wallpaper at HM - I believe it's always been there.

Well gee, I feel so unobservant. :) I guess it does fit in with the theming. With some of the other areas of the park that so need some maintenance, I guess I just jumped to a conclusion. Thanks for the info!

JenGood008
03-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by MotorBoat Cruiser
Well gee, I feel so unobservant. :) I guess it does fit in with the theming. With some of the other areas of the park that so need some maintenance, I guess I just jumped to a conclusion. Thanks for the info!

Totally understandable!

cough*tikiroom*cough

innerSpaceman
03-09-2004, 04:59 PM
That was a most enjoyable trip report, MbC. I was at the Park the day before you were, and hated the heat (as I always do when it's so incredibly hot). Anyways, your trip report provided a clue to the proper and enjoyable attitude about Disneyland in the hot weather. Even though I'm there like every other week, I should strive to feel that it's the only time that year!

(Though I will really miss the shade of the gorgeous trees in the Hub when those are ripped out this month or next. :crying: )