PDA

View Full Version : The dirty secret of "it's a small world"

Pages : [1] 2

drjones
03-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I think I think too much.
I think I may read into things, that which isn't there.
This is just a theory.

It's a Small World is a ride that showcases diversity and tolerance.

Or is it?

After showing many, (not all) cultures and ethnicities, singing that rotten little song in their own language, It all ends with them wearing white and SINGING IN ENGLISH......

So no matter where you are from, that's ok, but in the end, your gonna talk in English anyway

Thanks for your time.

You did know that this little theory was sarcastic, and meant to be humerous, right?

DivaPrincess
03-08-2004, 09:57 PM
PHEW! I was worried that you were going to say that a little "Jones" was concieved on boat #24.

Thank heavens you were just being sarcastic - while making an interesting point.

TheatreTech
03-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by drjones
After showing many, (not all) cultures and ethnicities, singing that rotten little song in their own language, It all ends with them wearing white and SINGING IN ENGLISH......

Just imagine if they had ALL the languages being sung at the end...AT THE SAME TIME!
*shudders at the thought*

safetybar
03-08-2004, 10:36 PM
doesn't matter. After the park closes the dolls come to life with little knives and sharp teeth.

blusilva
03-08-2004, 10:51 PM
but in the end, your gonna talk in English anyway

Not all, apparently, will write it. :eek:

That, too, was sarcasm. In case you missed it.

drjones
03-08-2004, 10:59 PM
did you notice inconsistent grammar and punctuation as well?

I did, but i already hit submit, so what can ya do?

drjones
03-08-2004, 11:00 PM
did you notice inconsistent grammar and punctuation as well?

spectromen
03-09-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by safetybar
doesn't matter. After the park closes the dolls come to life with little knives and sharp teeth.

Now THAT explains why some of the mouths have slits on the sides of them lately...it's either that or really chapped lips...

danyoung
03-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by TheatreTech
Just imagine if they had ALL the languages being sung at the end...AT THE SAME TIME!

The original plans for this attraction had exactly that - every nationality singing its own song, not even to the same tune! On test runs it was such a mess of noise that Walt had to change it to one song with different languages.

End of Disney History 101.

cstephens
03-09-2004, 10:05 AM

That's because they're all in heaven, and you're able to understand them through the use of a universal translator. They're all singing in whatever language a particular person knows first.

Demigod121
03-09-2004, 12:00 PM
"Chuckie does Disneyland"?

sorry....

-Demigod

Cadaverous Pallor
03-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
That's because they're all in heaven, and you're able to understand them through the use of a universal translator. They're all singing in whatever language a particular person knows first. I really dig this theory! :D

Actually, the scariest thing on Small World is the sheep with no face.

SusanP.
03-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
That's because they're all in heaven, and you're able to understand them through the use of a universal translator. They're all singing in whatever language a particular person knows first.

I think this too, but also America is supposed to be "heaven", thus the English.

Please exit through our gift shop and spend some fabulous Amercian dollars!:rolleyes:

idesign
03-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Is the US represented anywhere in the ride? Does the United States have a "land" is IASW? I guess I can't remember. That the white scene at the end is the US is quite a stretch. I thought it just meant we are all a part of the world. What language should they have been singing at the end?.

IASW is a peice of art expressing a simpler time. The culture wasn't filled with angst and contempt. The ride was taken as it was, a trip around the world, tourist style.

Personally I find the white end scene ghastly. When we all become "united" or "one" what's left? Nothing. No color, no uniqueness, nothing.. just blinding eye-straining sameness. The adventure and suprise of our "diverse" Small World swallowed up into nothingness. I get depressed in the white scene.

JenGood008
03-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by idesign
Is the US represented anywhere in the ride? Does the United States have a "land" is IASW? I guess I can't remember.

The only place the the US is represented is at the end, during the "white scene". There is a cowboy and an Indian (I really don't want to offend anyone - it's just the best way to describe the doll with the huge headdress!) over to the right side of the boat, I believe. I think that the IASW rides in other countries' parks have a larger US scene.

Not Afraid
03-09-2004, 07:17 PM
From John Canemaker's "The Art and Flair of Mary Blair":

Blair always considered white the most "festive" of colors, and made it the dominant hue in It's a Small World finale.

So, that's why the small world ending scene is white.

sediment
03-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Children are pure of heart. Hence the white.

Or, children of different lands and cultures have absolutely nothing in common. Hence the white.

(Or somewhere in between.)

ozbeauticn
03-09-2004, 08:50 PM
I would just say that the finale is in English because we are in the United States, where English is the official language... At Disneyland Paris, the finale is in French.

Also, the US is represented in Paris' IASM with the Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, a taxi, Hollywood sign, show girls, a couple dancing, a baseball player,a football player(eating popcorn), and palm trees! Pretty random. It was strange to see how they categorize us.. but I guess we do the same to us.

audibleatom
03-10-2004, 05:52 AM
i may be wrong but i think the United States doesnt have a official language

ralfrick
03-10-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by TheatreTech

That would be ghastly. I went to a hockey game where a vocal group sang a combo version of "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Oh Canada" simutaneously. Hopefully this won't be how it's done when we exhaust our resources and invade Canada. ;)

Not Afraid
03-10-2004, 08:31 AM
I would guess that having all the dolls sing in one language is done to show unity. The reason that they sing in English is because that's the language of the US. where the attraction is.

Remember, this attraction was build for the 1964 Worlds Fair, sponsored by Pepsi for the benefit of UNICEF.

Corith
03-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by audibleatom
i may be wrong but i think the United States doesnt have a official language

While this is true, the United States does have the unique distinction of having a written contract between the populace and those elected to serve in government. This contract is written in English, and I can not image a more saddening thought than Americans unable to understand the language that contract is written in.

Icy Bacon
03-10-2004, 05:26 PM
To quote Sam Eagle or whatever his name is,

"And now, a salute to all nations... but mostly America."

;)

DrIndianaJones
03-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Corith, yes it is very sad. As a (young) English Major, I can only begin to worry about the state of the language being (not) taught to the kids in school these days. Ebonics anyone?

dasrock
03-11-2004, 03:01 AM
somebody please turn on some bob marley music :cool: