PDA

View Full Version : Cast Member Discounts

Pages : [1] 2

EdD
03-08-2004, 11:41 AM
My wife works for ABC as a TV News Producer, and as such is a Disney employee, with a “B” discount code on her employee id. We were wondering how much her discount is, and whether it is good at all the food outlets or just some of them (sit down only, park only, etc). We are taking our daughter to see the Mouse in June on her 4th birthday, staying at Grand Californian, and wanted to know where we can use her discount card. Thanks so much in advance!

silentbob
03-08-2004, 11:43 AM
I believe all eateries are 20% off while with your "B" discount is 35% off merch. only. Have fun!

Morrigoon
03-08-2004, 11:53 AM
that sounds correct.

marron-cream
03-08-2004, 01:03 PM
But just FYI: your wife's discount is non-transferrable, meaning you can't flash her discount card and tell the CM, "Oh, she's my wife." She needs to physically be there with you and be the one paying for the merch or food. It's something management is really stressing these days, for CMs and APs. Jobs have been lost and passes have been revoked over it, so just beware.

adriennek
03-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by marron-cream
But just FYI: your wife's discount is non-transferrable, meaning you can't flash her discount card and tell the CM, "Oh, she's my wife." She needs to physically be there with you and be the one paying for the merch or food.

Even with my meger 10% premium AP discount they do this. If I pull out my AP and my husband pulls out his Credit Card, they won't let us use the discount unless they CALL the credit card company and CONFIRM that my name is on the card.

Adrienne

Andrew
03-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
Even with my meger 10% premium AP discount they do this. If I pull out my AP and my husband pulls out his Credit Card, they won't let us use the discount unless they CALL the credit card company and CONFIRM that my name is on the card. If I didn't trust you implicitly I would call shenanigans on that post. I've used my AP when Jen pays, and vice-versa, many times. I've even used it for other people in whatever group I'm with and occasionally for whatever random person happens to be in front of me in line. Never once gotten even a second look. I understand CM discounts are more strict, though.

adriennek
03-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
If I didn't trust you implicitly I would call shenanigans on that post.

It's very true! I promise! We only have one PAP in our family (although rumor is that when we renew in July we'll be able to afford two again ;))

Adrienne

Lani
03-08-2004, 01:58 PM
I've used my AP when Jen pays, and vice-versa, many times. I've even used it for other people in whatever group I'm with and occasionally for whatever random person happens to be in front of me in line. Never once gotten even a second look.Although I'm not sure, I suspect this is very ordinary for food purchases. Based on the wording of your description, Andrew, it sounds like this is for buying food? I've even eaten at Blue Bayou, and the entire party gets the AP discount if there's an AP holder at the table.

I don't think the same thing can be said for merchandise purchases, though. The CMs tend to be a lot more strict about it for non-food purchases, as far a I know.

marron-cream
03-08-2004, 02:06 PM
And by doing so, you're really running the risk of getting your pass revoked. When I tell this to PAPs, they get huffy, like I'm trying to pull something on them, and I'm honestly not. I don't say it so I can sound like a jerk either, because I could easily just let them find out the hard way. It's not a new rule, it's one that's always been listed, just never enforced until now. People were being a little too free with their discounts. I've witnessed PAPs who would grandly announce to everyone in line that they would all get 10% off because they were passholders and they were going to share their discounts. That's not what the discount is for and I guess Matt Ouimet began to get a little tired of it. If everyone wants the privileges of having the PAP, then they ought to get their own.

If I didn't trust you implicitly I would call shenanigans on that post. I've used my AP when Jen pays, and vice-versa, many times. I've even used it for other people in whatever group I'm with and occasionally for whatever random person happens to be in front of me in line. Never once gotten even a second look. I understand CM discounts are more strict, though.

Andrew
03-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Lani
I don't think the same thing can be said for merchandise purchases, though. The CMs tend to be a lot more strict about it for non-food purchases, as far a I know. I was talking about restaurants, yes, but Jen and I have never had a problem doing the AP/credit card shuffle at, for example, the Candy Palace.

marron-cream, I understand your frustration, and obviously "announcing to everyone in line" is out of line and inappropriate. On the occasion I mentioned, the CM at the Plaza Inn asked the lady in front of me if she had an AP discount, and the lady said no. So I offered mine, and both the CM and the guest were happy. It's not the kind of thing I'm going to do all the time.

Lani
03-08-2004, 02:37 PM
I was talking about restaurants, yes, but Jen and I have never had a problem doing the AP/credit card shuffle at, for example, the Candy Palace.Andrew, could you have been purchasing... perhaps, maybe by chance, quite possibly...

FOOD

at the Candy Palace?

:D

Andrew
03-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Lani
Andrew, could you have been purchasing... perhaps, maybe by chance, quite possibly... FOOD at the Candy Palace? That depends on what your definition of "is" is.

EdD
03-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Wow, sure did not mean to have this thread be quite so "spirited", but thanks to all for the reply. Nice to know that we will be able to get the discount at any of the food outlets...and since we will be charging everything to our room at the DCG, and she will be with me the whole time, should not have a problem with the "who is using the card" thing.

This was the one real perk the wife got when Disney bought ABC. We have six free one day park hopper tickets, enough for the 3 of us for the two days, and the food and merch discounts. Now I just have to figure out if I can get the discount on the $245/night room rate I got from UTELL (the direct reservation system used by Dsiney) at the DGC. Even with a 35% CM discount, with the rack rate for DGC at $371, the direct UTELL rate is just as cheap without the discount, and no advance deposit required.

Again, thanks for the help.

Andrew
03-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by EdD
Wow, sure did not mean to have this thread be quite so "spirited"... They all start out that way.

Again, thanks for the help. Glad to help, and welcome!

drjones
03-08-2004, 09:24 PM
a CM at the indiana jones store gave me a hard time, when my mother in law wanted to pay for an "indy" leather jacket with her credit card and my premium discount, so we paid cash..

adriennek
03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
That's not what the discount is for and I guess Matt Ouimet began to get a little tired of it. If everyone wants the privileges of having the PAP, then they ought to get their own.

For me, this has been nothing "new" under Ouimet. They were doing this to us years ago, too.

Adrienne

marron-cream
03-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Perhaps, but I can say that they're enforcing it a heck of a lot more than they were years ago.

Originally posted by adriennek
For me, this has been nothing "new" under Ouimet. They were doing this to us years ago, too.

Adrienne

NirvanaMan
03-09-2004, 09:51 PM
If I didn't trust you implicitly I would call shenanigans on that post. I've used my AP when Jen pays, and vice-versa, many times. I've even used it for other people in whatever group I'm with and occasionally for whatever random person happens to be in front of me in line. Never once gotten even a second look. I understand CM discounts are more strict, though.

I've actually had the same exact thing happen to me almost every time..so they are for real.

Wizard69
03-10-2004, 02:57 PM
But just FYI: your wife's discount is non-transferrable, meaning you can't flash her discount card and tell the CM, "Oh, she's my wife." She needs to physically be there with you and be the one paying for the merch or food. It's something management is really stressing these days, for CMs and APs. Jobs have been lost and passes have been revoked over it, so just beware.

An exception to the rule is if he is registered as the spouse (which i'm sure he is) and signed the main gate pass in addition to his wife. He could show that with his id to get the discount. My aunt does it all the time with my uncle's main gate pass.

marron-cream
03-10-2004, 08:52 PM
I thought about that, but he mentioned using his six park hoppers which lead me to believe he doesn't have a main gate pass... I don't know if ABC employees get them... I know there are some parts of ABC which don't get the discounts either although not for lack of trying ;P

Originally posted by Wizard69
An exception to the rule is if he is registered as the spouse (which i'm sure he is) and signed the main gate pass in addition to his wife.

AVP
03-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I have recently noticed that cast members pay a HECK of a lot more attention to the name on my credit card then they ever have before, going so far as to ask for additional identification before they even process the transaction.

My full legal name is too long to fit on my American Express card, so they have shortened it to the first letter of my first name and then my entire hyphenated last name. The resulting name - A. Vincent Phoenix - could belong to a man or woman, so I show my driver's license A LOT.

Of course, 5.5 years ago the rude nasty woman at the DMV told me that my married name was too long to fit on my driver's license, and said I'd need to pick one name or the other. So I never changed the name on my license - I just left my maiden name on it. (She also gave me a lovely lecture about how women who "loved their husbands" in HER day took their husband's last name... whatever :rolleyes: )

The end result is that I usually have to show two pieces of photo ID. "OK, this one has my full legal name on it, and this one has half of my legal name on it..."

AVP

EdD
03-11-2004, 08:30 AM
No, ABC employees (at least all of those that my wife works with) do not get main gate passes, they get a certain number of complimentary one day passes every year that are good at any of the Disney parks. They also have the Disney discount code (B in her case) denoted on her ABC employee id.

Again, thanks to all. I am really looking foreward to seeing our daughter's face as we attend the park. We have waited to go until we felt she was old enough to really enjoy it, and now that she "loves Minnie" her 4th birthday is the time. As such we will be spoiling her all the way--unlike when we were kids and had to do Disney "on the cheap" as it were, it will be Grand Californian, charecter meals, Fantasmic Dessert seating and lots of "special gifts" for her! (Can you say doting father?)

cstephens
03-11-2004, 11:20 AM
:geek: OK, how many people, when on Disney property and being asked for an ID (for writing a check or using a credit card), show their DLR AP? :geek:

Count off.

seattlemom
03-11-2004, 12:07 PM
"OK, how many people, when on Disney property and being asked for an ID (for writing a check or using a credit card), show their DLR AP?"

Are you kidding? I use my DLR AP or my Costco card whenever anyone asks for ID whether I'm at Disneyland or not. I don't want some cashier at the grocery store knowing how old I am. :)

Andrew
03-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Count off.

1. 1.