PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Fortune Cookery gone for good?

cstephens
03-07-2004, 10:58 PM
We had lunch over at DCA today, sitting in the covered area right outside Lucky Fortune Cookery after we'd gotten food elsewhere. We noticed that the menus have been taken down, so maybe they've decided to scrap that restaurant altogether. Oh well. At least tourists won't be confused now after spending a bit of time looking at the menus and then going up to the windows to find that the restaurant is closed, especially since they never had "closed" signs. I can't say I'm too terribly disappointed though. They took away the stuff I liked on the menu long ago. Yet another formerly good DCA restaurant decimated, alongside Farmer's Market and Soap Opera Bistro.

DCAWhites
03-07-2004, 11:13 PM
If and when DCA gets fairly crowded with TOT crowds (summer and memorial day weekend:eek: ), having so many resturants in mothballs is going to cause problems. As it is now, pretty much every resturant, with a few exceptions (pizza oom mow mow, for example) gets stormed every day for lunch on the busier weekends. When DCA begins pulling in 50% more guests on the busiest days, it isn't going to be a pretty sight. They should at least try on getting two of the four (remaining) shuttered eateries opened back up (lucky fourtune, hollywood and dine, maliburritos, and the farmers market). It would also be nice to have more vehicles running on the attractions when TOT opens. 1 of the 2 jumping jellyfish towers or only 4 trains on screamin (as opposed to 5 and one on call) isn't going to cut it when the park's full.

Back on topic, I heard the menu at the lucky fortune cookery wasn't too spectacular in its last few days. Not even much Asian food from what I have heard. I think farmers market is most likely to reopen this summer, it hasn't been closed all too long and it fills a void in food options currently available.

Dlandmom
03-08-2004, 08:00 AM
I never had the "pleasure" of eating at Lucky Fortune, but I did stop by one time and saw that it was closed.

From most accounts, there were too many eating places at DCA, right? The silly part of that is that most of those places were closed a lot.

Honestly, in the 5 or 6 times I've been at DCA, I've only eaten at Award Wieners and the ice cream place just past Ariel's. I almost ate at Soap Opera Bistro, but the people I were with didn't like the menu, so we moved on. Now I wish I had seeing that they closed.

If DCA does increase attendance by 50%, all they'd really need to do is open up all the restaurants they've already got there.

I'd like to eat at the Trattoria or Vineyard one of these days, and Ariel's with the kids.

CarlieB
03-08-2004, 10:52 AM
I think this is sad. Although in its last days the food wasn't great (or so I heard) the original menu looked good, and if it hadn't been closed every time I was in DCA, I would have definitely tried it.

spectromen
03-08-2004, 06:31 PM
I'm curious what was different about the original menu vs. the last menu. I ate there only once, on the day of the Pirates event over at DL and they had rice bowls with beef or chicken, chicken egg rolls, and chocolate dipped fortune cookies next door. For theme park food, I thought it was all great. And Chinese food is so popular. And there are already plenty Mexican options at DLR. Seems a no brainer to have left it open. MAYBE we'll get lucky that ToT will bring enough crowds to that corner to get Hollywood & Dine back open.

cstephens
03-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by spectromen
I'm curious what was different about the original menu vs. the last menu. I ate there only once, on the day of the Pirates event over at DL and they had rice bowls with beef or chicken, chicken egg rolls, and chocolate dipped fortune cookies next door. For theme park food, I thought it was all great.

The original menu was only around for maybe six months or so after DCA opened. I know I wrote about a few of the times I ate there, but for the life of me, I can't ever seem to remember or find where I posted the info.

The original menu had two wonton noodle dishes, with a very flavorful broth and vegetables that were still tasty and actually crunchy. They also had a dim sum platter - I can't remember what exactly was in it, but there were about 7 or 8 different things, definitely enough for a meal for one or to share between two as an appetizer. The dishes were a little expensive, but not unreasonably so for theme park food. I was just so incredibly amazed that there was REALLY GOOD Chinese food at a theme park, food that would rival what you might find in a decent Chinese restaurant. I've had the teriyaki bowls and didn't care much for them. I've had better even from fast-food places.

So from the so-called Chinese restaurant, they took off the menu items that were actually Chinese dishes, but they left the Japanese dishes. Oh, egg rolls. They still had that. Go figure.

KarenW2
03-08-2004, 09:13 PM
We ate at the LFCF only once, a long time ago. My husband had the wonton soup there and said it was OK. I had the beef teriyaki rice bowl and it was WAY too salty! It had so much sauce all over it, I took a few bites and then threw it away. It wasn't until afterwards that I realized I should've taken it back, to see if they could make it without the sauce or have the sauce on the side.