PDA

View Full Version : Cleanliness

Pat-n-Eil
03-07-2004, 10:33 AM
The survey thread reminded me of something my wife said - which also reminded me of something my boss & his wife said. Basically it was that one of the things that set Disneyland apart from other theme parks was cleanliness. Not just sweeping up of the grounds, but in particular the bathrooms.

When we started going to Disneyland on a regular basis (about 1996) my wife was impressed with the bathrooms, and the attendants that were right there to clean or help. Last time we went (last Thanksgiving) my wife remarked about how dirty the bathrooms were and how the attendants were missing.

We were stopped for a survey one night when we left the park, and while we made generally favorable comments - we made sure to mention 1) the overcrowding and 2) the lack of cleanliness of the bathrooms. We praised the Unlimited FastPass system because we absolutely adore it - and answered a series of other questions too.

So, with all the current changes in management and apparent turnaround of maintenance at the park - has anyone noticed improvements to the restrooms and restroom staff lately?

stitchfan_cm
03-07-2004, 11:00 AM
As you read this post, please keep in mind that I am not an AP, and therefore, do not frequent the restrooms as much as they can. I do, however, have a friend who is a CM with the janitorial services.

In December, I visited DL and DCA. I remember walking into the restrooms at the Hungry Bear restaurant. My first impression, like anyone else who had walked into that restroom was, "Dear God! It's filthy!".

I decided to talk to my CM friend about this. He told me that I caught the bathroom at the wrong time. Before I had a chance to hit him over the head for such a stupid response, we decided to take a trip to DL.

He showed me the difference between 15 minutes. We walked to the restrooms in Fantasyland, the ones behind Alice and facing the Matterhorn. They were not in tip top shape. We walked out and grabbed something from a vendor, then went back (about 8 minutes later). The bathrooms had been swept up, restocked, and looked clean.

Now is this the answer to the problem. You just hit the restrooms at the wrong time. Maybe. But I know that I learned something that afternoon. I now give the CM's time. If I go back at least 10 minutes later, and there is still a mess, I find someone. It's the least I can do. I also keep in mind that there are a heck of a lot more of us, then them.;)

blusilva
03-07-2004, 01:42 PM
The point is, there never use to be a "wrong time". The bathrooms were always spotless. Always.

There's simply no excuse for how filthy the bathrooms have become. I've taken to avoiding certain ones (Fantasyland/Alice, New Orleans Square and the truly noxious Adventureland entrance restrooms, which stink all the way out to Main Street some days).

Perhaps some of that will change with the bathroom refurbs I read about a couple of updates back? If they refurb the bathrooms, perhaps they're committed to maintaining them properly?

Cadaverous Pallor
03-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by blusilva
The point is, there never use to be a "wrong time". The bathrooms were always spotless. Always. Dig it. I haven't seen any improvement in this area since Matt came on. I hope you're right about the refurbs.

DCAWhites
03-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Yeah custodial (my dept) went downhill with T Irby and Cynthia and Pressler, and fastpass crowding the park and the over expansion of Outdoor vending haven't hepled us at all. However, times are a changing under Greg Emmer and Matt Ouimet. Slowly, but surely. As for the restrooms, there are about 12 female custodial cast members cleaning the restrooms inside the berm on the busiest days. 6 males though. Hopefully restroom rehabs will continue coming... The newer restroom designs (flixs fun fair especially) are easier to maintain throughout the day than the older, more dangerous ones.

Pat-n-Eil
03-08-2004, 05:49 AM
DCAWhites, thanks for replying from the "inside". I also want to mention that my post was not intended to criticize the hardworking castmembers who do the cleaning. I just think they need more of you.