PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Malfunction

Ralph Wiggum
10-14-2001, 01:59 AM
Space Mountain closed today during the day for unspecified reasons.....it reopened again later.... I was in line (thank god for only 10 mins) and got to the end of the line at about 5 mins to 12. As we were about to get into our space mountain vehicle they CM told us to step back. Apparently the ride was not letting any of the cars turn right to go through the ride. There was a technical problem and all the cars were heading into the left.

For those of you who don't know, the cars are weighed when you are stopped in front of the people in the booth. If it has too much weight you are sent to the left instead and you have to change your group and reboard(or something like that).

I was soo bummed. Ah well.

Thomas
10-14-2001, 08:38 AM
That happened to me the first time I ever rode Space Mountain about 15 years ago or so. I was nervous riding it. There was an extremely heavy guy in our train and when we got to the front, the car went to the left and everyone had to get out. I guess it's good they do it out of the view of the hundreds of people watching from the 'q' line. This way only about a dozen people see it and they can write it off as some technical problem. It was cool though getting to see that backstage area.

coronamouseman
10-14-2001, 10:11 AM
Hey, that's not a bug, it's a feature!

In order to provide a more realistic experience on Space Mountain, the "turn-to-the-left" version of the ride has been added to allow guests to enjoy the same "mission abort" thrill experienced by many of the NASA astronauts. With the success of the Indiana Jones Adventure's multiple ride variations, this is simply a new "variable outcome" version of Space Mountain.

I'm sorry they don't have that same ability to weigh the vehicles on Splash Mountain - on a cool spring evening my wife and I found ourselves in the front of the log with 5 very large folks crammed in the seats behind us - the result is that the log practically submerged at the end of the large drop and we ended up having to leave the park to avoid hypothermia caused by our drenched clothing.

JRob2k1
10-14-2001, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
my wife and I found ourselves in the front of the log with 5 very large folks crammed in the seats behind us - the result is that the log practically submerged at the end of the large drop and we ended up having to leave the park to avoid hypothermia caused by our drenched clothing.

Hehe...

For my senior trip, to DL....They let 9 freshly graduated Senior guys on one log!! One of whom happened to be a rather large guy(he played football). Throughout the whole ride, our Splash log kept scraping the bottom of the flume, you could hear it during the whole ride!

Then, just like you said, the final drop turned into an underwater adventure!! We all got soaked!!

Ahhhh, good times...:D

-JRob

Ralph Wiggum
10-14-2001, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Hey, that's not a bug, it's a feature!

In this case it was a bug....ALL cars were going to the left....even the empty ones they were sending to see if it would stop sending them there. I am bummed too...if we got in line 1 min earlier i could have been at the top of the ride and seen it in the light .

baileykat
10-14-2001, 01:34 PM
Sorry you missed riding in the "light"..my husband and I were on SM a few years ago...when it just stopped mid ride....we sat in the dark for a few minutes..then they turned the lights on...it is really weird!...There is a reason they tell you not to raise your hands...The tracks are so close together...In my opinion, the ride was more scary in the light...After they got the ride going again...we went back to full speed and rode the rest of the way with the lights on...When we got back to the station, they let us stay on to ride again, lights out of course...Needless to say, I DID NOT raise my hands!...

Dena

coronamouseman
10-14-2001, 08:44 PM
baileykat's response should be taken by the Disney folk as a signal for a new AP bonus night attraction - Disney's "Let There Be Light Night" for AP's during a Winter weeknight where for a nominal admission fee Space Mountain, the Haunted Mansion, Indy, Splash Mountain and Pirates could be experienced with the lights ON. I believe Disney once ran an AP night prior to the opening of Indy which included a chance to walk through the Indy queue area before the ride was officially opened and also included a look into the Space Mountain control room (not real exciting - lots of old computer equipment).

Could serve two great purposes: (1) generate extra profits from AP customers (milk that cash cow) in times of decreasing attendance and (2) provide extra incentive for some folks to buy APs in order to buy tickets for special event (is that a double milking?)

MickeyD
10-14-2001, 09:15 PM
coronamouseman -I think that is a *great* idea, but I bet a lot of people wouldn't want to see the rides with the lights on. I personally saw space mountain with the lights on and loved it, however, I know a lot of people who say they never would want to see it with the lights on. I guess they think it would lose some magic.

JRob2k1
10-14-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD
coronamouseman -I think that is a *great* idea, but I bet a lot of people wouldn't want to see the rides with the lights on. I personally saw space mountain with the lights on and loved it, however, I know a lot of people who say they never would want to see it with the lights on. I guess they think it would lose some magic.

But see, that's the beauty of it....Like Coronamouseman said, it would be an extra/special night, BUT would require an extra admisson fee along with the AP. So the people that dont want the magic "ruined", they dont have to go. It's that easy and it's a win-win for Disney!!

Great idea coronamouseman!

-JRob

baileykat
10-15-2001, 04:38 AM
MickeyD was right...it did take away from the ride a little...it was kinda like exposing the disney magic a little..but on the other hand...it was a different ride after that...Two thumbs up here...I'd ride it again..light or no lights....

Dena

hbquikcomjamesl
10-15-2001, 08:15 AM
Actually, if I remember right, there was a passholder party in which one of the attractions was SM with the lights on. I honestly don't recall whether or not I was up to it that night, though.

Nigel2
10-15-2001, 11:26 AM
Along with my cursed attraction list I have been on SM w/ the house lights on a few times and it really makes it freaky since you think there is nothing there when you ride but with the lights on the shadows are cast everywhere and it makes it look forboding. Also you think you are going to be decapitated on it.:D