PDA

View Full Version : Disney Surveys and the Annual Passholder

EandCDad
03-07-2004, 07:18 AM
It comes up from time to time in threads that when you are at Disneyland, DCA, or even Downtown Disney that you might be approached by a friendly red-shirted person holding an electroic clipboard, the Disney survey team. They are usually most in force as you enter the parks, but you see them in other places. If they stop you, they tend to start off by asking you where you are from and what sort of media you used to enter the park. Then the type of questions varies widely.

It's sorta an urban legend that Annual Passholders are not surveyed by this group. That as soon as you show your Pass or tell them that is how you entered the park, they say "thank you" and move on. I've had that experience. However, I've also been asked a series of questions. This has happened on more than one occassion, so it's not a fluke. So, it seems pretty clear that they do, in fact, survey Annual Passholders.

Yesterday, we were on a bench outside Carnation Gardens waiting to meet Alex and Lani and one of these terminally peppy people approached us. She asked where we were from (zip code), how we got in (annual pass), and she then handed me a laminated card asking what type of electronic devices I had in my home. The questions went on for about three or four minutes. She thanked us and moved on.

This would be about the seventh or so time I've been stopped and probably the fourth full survey I've done. What's the experience of other Passholders? I can't be the only Passholder that gets a full survey. Can we finally put this myth to rest?

Dlandmom
03-07-2004, 08:54 AM
I haven't been approached by the folks in red, but about 4 years ago, when they were still doing paper surveys, I was handed one when I went through the turnstiles, and I wasn't asked if I was an AP. The survey did have questions for AP's, so clearly they weren't trying to exclude us.

mamabot
03-07-2004, 09:04 AM
The last two times I was at the resort, I was stopped by a peppy survey person.

While walking through DTD with my Aunt & Uncle who were in town visiting from Eureka, they asked me how long I had been in DTD and since I had just enetered, I was excused from the survey.

This past Wednesday, while waiting for the Post Vote meet at the Hub, I was asked how long I had been at the park, where I lived and my zip code. That was it. Maybe he was looking for out of town visitors? Or maybe they were just looking for how far people travelled to get to the park on that particular day.

And there was one other time this year that I was asked a question. It was at the turnstiles in DL and the person asked me if I was an AP I said yes and she looked past me as if I did not exist.

I am not bothered by being asked to participate in surveys, I just wish that I could do a full survey someday.

David R
03-07-2004, 09:04 AM
The only survey I've taken at the parks was a couple years ago before I purchased an AP. I was asked why I chose to visit DL over DCA. I explained that I've never been to DCA but I didn't hear good things and if I'm going to pay for a day at a theme park, I want to go to one I know is good.

She thanked me for my time and moved on.

David R
03-07-2004, 10:27 AM
I almost forgot. A couple weeks ago we took advantage of the $59/night rate for pass holders at the Paradise Pier and yesterday I received a postcard from Disney asking me to go to a certain website, type in a password and answer some questions.

The survey was rather long but it cover a lot of elements of our stay, but it was very heavily centered around customer service and interaction with the cast members.

justagrrl
03-07-2004, 10:35 AM
It's gone both ways for us. I think it just depends on what kind of questions they are trying to get answers to.

So, yes, I vote that it's an urban legend. Put the rumor to rest.

Ghoulish Delight
03-07-2004, 11:11 AM
It all depends on what they are surveying for. If they are running a survey to find out what day guests think, they're obviously not going to ask APers the questions. Count us as one more who has seen both sides. Taken a full survey, and been turned away as APers. Then there was the time our survey was cut short because we had been in DCA or less than an hour :D

KarenW2
03-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Having been PAPs the last few years, more times than not, we get the "thank you" and move on from the surveyers. The last time we actually got to answer questions was the last time we were leaving DCA. This was a guy who spoke so fast and not very well, that we had to ask him to repeat himself several times, before we could answer some of his questions!

He asked the typical things like how much money did we spent at DCA, what rides we experienced, did we have food while we were there, etc. We had just come to see a couple of Play It! shows and were then on our way out, to go over to DL, to join a couple of friends, to celebrate the daughter's 13th birthday, by being in the Parade of the Stars, so we hadn't spent much time and no money (they didn't have the pins we were looking for there) at DCA that day. Don't know if they appreciated our answers.

Kevy Baby
03-07-2004, 05:27 PM
I may be odd man out here, but in the eight or so years of being an AP, I have never been given the brush-off once a survey has been started.

However, it is extrememly rare that I get asked; maybe 3-5 times in those eight years. I have passed MANY red shirts as I was exiting DL who were looking for participants but didn't ask me. Hmmm... maybe I should approach THEM to see what happens. We're going this evening (should be leaving in a few minutes), so I'll see what happens.

cstephens
03-07-2004, 11:29 PM
About two weeks ago, we were surveyed twice on the same visit, both times with the surveyor (sp?) knowing we were APs, and both times, they were fairly involved surveys.

Kevy Baby
03-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
Hmmm... maybe I should approach THEM to see what happens. We're going this evening (should be leaving in a few minutes), so I'll see what happens. We ended up not going this evening. I know, I know, I really hated to dissapoint every one who was anxiously waiting my report. :(

Morrigoon
03-08-2004, 02:05 AM
As we passed through the turnstiles one time (last week, I think it was), we were making jokes about how the surveyors were out there and the person I was with cracked a joke about how the second they found out we had APs they'd ignore us. This made the turnstile CM laugh and agree. Yes, agree. She's there all day, every day, and she agreed that we'd be ignored for being APs.

I'm glad to hear some of us are being surveyed once in a while. All I know is I certainly haven't, and in the past few years no one in my party has. If those surveyors are out there so much, you'd think my chances of being surveyed at least once in a while would be fairly good, considering the frequency of my visits.

...As far as the electronic devices survey, sounds like a marketing survey... not that much to do with the park there, just product. No motivation to ignore APs there.

BJW
03-08-2004, 02:19 AM
I was at the resort once last year I believe when they surveyed me and even though they knew I was an AP they wanted to know what other theme parks I would be visiting that week and what other parks I had APs for. Interesting.

EandCDad
03-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I'm glad to hear some of us are being surveyed once in a while. All I know is I certainly haven't, and in the past few years no one in my party has. If those surveyors are out there so much, you'd think my chances of being surveyed at least once in a while would be fairly good, considering the frequency of my visits.

But that is only helpful in disproving the idea that all AP's get surveyed. Which is not a myth running around the message boards. There are so many AP's, I'd really be surprised if everyone of them had been surveyed. The myth running around is that they are ignored. Clearly, based on the experiences being shared, they are not. Which is good news, I think.

Originally posted by Morrigoon
...As far as the electronic devices survey, sounds like a marketing survey... not that much to do with the park there, just product. No motivation to ignore APs there.

That's correct, it was just the thing that put it in my mind. I've had park related and DTD related surveys also, it just so happened that this was the one that happened yesterday and got me thinking about it and the incorrect perception being disseminated on the message boards.