PDA

View Full Version : What things in Disneyland, if anything, frightened you as small child?

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyFan 1981
03-06-2004, 07:46 PM
I've loved Disneyland for as along as I can remember. I first went there when I was almost two in June of 1983. Then I went there again in September of 1985. And then I went there again in May or June of 1986. And then I went there for two weeks in July and August of 1987! And then I went again when I was nine in June of 1991. And then I went to Disney World when I was ten in 1992. And then I went to Disneyland again in July/August of 1994 when I was thirteen. And then I went to Disney World again in July of 1996. And then I went to Disney World for a week in August of 2002.

I barely remember my first trip when I was close to turning two, but I remember the trip when I was four years old pretty well.

I was so excited being at Disneyland when I was four. I remember how excited I was the night before we left, I remember how excited I was when I woke up, and I remember how excited I was at the airport, going on the airplane, how sweet the stewardess was, etc.

However, there were many things at Disneyland that scared me! I went to Disneyland with my parents, my one year-old sister, and my ten year-old cousin Cheryl. I guess the first place we went when we arrived was on the Disneyland Railroad. I remember when we first rode through the dark tunnels, I would say, "Don't be afraid, Cheryl." I considered myself brave. However, once we arrived in the section with the dinosaurs, I got so scared and started crying.

A similar thing happened when we went on the Peoplemover. We would enter a tunnel and I'd say, "Don't be afraid, Cheryl." And then we entered the part with the TRON section, and that part with all the bright lights and loud noise just totally terrified me and I'd start screaming and crying.

I also remember riding on the Skyway through the Matterhorn, and I'd always find the yeti monster scary, but I felt safe because he was down there and I was up high in the skyway car.

Hmmm... I guess mostly, I'd always be afraid of rides that had loud noises that startled me. The Haunted Mansion scared me. Pirates kind of scared me. Most of the rides like Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice In Wonderland, Mr. Toad and Pinocchio scared me because they'd have loud noises and bright lights. I was scared of the Jungle Cruise after the skipper fired loud gunshots at the hippos. Even the fireworks scared me when I first saw them!

I seem to remember getting scared on the Submarine Voyage when we passed through an area where the water was red.

My mom took me on Big Thunder Mountain and Matterhorn, which were terrifying experiences! I didn't try them again until I was about nine or ten. And I waited until I was thirteen before I had the courage to try Space Mountain!

Hmmm... I think the only rides that DIDN'T scare me were "It's A Small World", Casey Jr., Storybook Land Canal books.

But I guess that's one thing I really loved about Disneyland, all the things that scared me had an edge of excitement to it!

I can't wait until I have kids so I can take them to Disneyland and Disney World and share with them all the fun and I excitement I experienced when I was a child!

disneydreams
03-06-2004, 08:13 PM
HM. UGH! and I'm still freaked out by that bride, especially when it's right next to me. It's heart beating scares the hell out of me. I close my eyes and plug my ears every time I go into the attic.

Snow White
I hated how the hag always popped out of nowhere...and tried to offer me an apple...

puts a chill in the bones :eek: :D

I'm easily petrified as you can see.

Moonliner
03-06-2004, 08:38 PM
If you went to Disneyland at the right age (3-5) ya gotta go with "The Train". Not the one that goes around the park, the scary one. The one in fantasyland. You know what I mean.

BrerFox
03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Snow White, haunted mansion, Matterhorn, and space mountain.

All these things scared the be-jesus out of me.

I love Space, Matt, and Haunted now, but I still can't rind snow..
*sudder*

PrincessAmie
03-06-2004, 09:11 PM
The characters and going into the whale's mouth on the Storybook Ride.

Wanda Woman
03-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Things that scared me when I was young:

the trees that tried to grab me in Snow White

the tikis that sang and clicked and winked right next to me in the Tiki Room

the Rocket Jets back when they were in their rightful place up high because I thought I would fall out and I wondered why there were no seat belts

the headhunter on the Jungle Cruise

the shrinking tube on Inner Space. Proof positive I was about to 'get small'

Monstro the Whale blinking at me

Skull Rock, which was beautiful but eerie

all of the ghoulies that jump up from behind things in the graveyard scene of Haunted Mansion

people rocking the Skyway cars (aka 'Buckets of Death')

the mule ride because my mule ALWAYS walked right on the edge of the drop-off

Things that scare me now:

DCA

Michael Eisner

disneyfn
03-06-2004, 09:47 PM
First I was scared of the mule train at that young age. I always thought the mule would bite me or the other ones would kick me. Next it was the submarine. I thought the hatch might pop open and we would drown. Finally the rocket jets. Being up high with no seat belts kept me scared until it was closed down,but I would love to go on any of these again.Too bad they are all gone:(

dsnyredhead
03-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Wanda Woman
Things that scared me when I was young:

the shrinking tube on Inner Space. Proof positive I was about to 'get small'

I second that. I went on that when I was a small child and it really scared me.

3IdAlienKid
03-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Definitely Snow White was always the scariest thing. As a kid, the tree forest was pretty scary, and I always found myself recoiling from the witch when she'd offer that apple.

KarenW2
03-07-2004, 01:58 PM
When I was about 3 or 4, we went to the "Indian" Village at DL. I had waist-length auburn hair and it was pulled back in a ponytail that day. I was VERY frightened, when one of the "Indians" came up to me, grabbed my ponytail, held it up and pulled out his knife!! He said he needed a "red" scalp for his belt!! That was very frightening and I still think of it, whenever I go to DL and put my hair up in a ponytail!

The Alice in Wonderland ride was the other thing that totally scared me as a child. It was the original version, so it had the "Upside Down Room", which was very frightening, along with the very loud noises and things crashing in front of our car. I used to have nightmares about it for years afterwards! Alice has always been my favorite character and nowadays, I like to go on the ride, if there isn't a hugely long line, which seldom happens.

SteveK
03-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Haunted Mansion without a doubt. One time, my brothers took me on the ride and they kept telling me how scary the ride was. Right before we got in the doom buggy, I threw up because they had scared me so much. Whenever we go now, they point out where I threw up. My 4 and 3 year old daughters even know the spot and point to eat each time and say, "that's where you threw up daddy."

-Steve

Icy Bacon
03-07-2004, 04:40 PM
The first time my parents took me to the park, I was about 3.

The dinosaurs on the train scared me a little, but I did alright and didn't really freak out.

Riding the skyway through the Matterhorn didn't scare me, I just didn't like the noise from the snowmen.

I didn't like the squid part of the Submarine Voyage, but insisted on riding it over and over again since I loved the rest.

None of the dark rides, including Snow White bothered me.

Going through Monstro's Mouth wasn't bad.

But, my parents had no idea what they'd gotten into when we got on Small World.

Legend has it, I absolutely freaked out. Too much color, too many scary dolls, too much of that song or something drove me to scream and cry and have terrible nightmares for several months. I'm still scared to go on it again, mainly because of that song.

*shudder*

stitchfan_cm
03-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Okay, where do I start? I agree with Icy Bacon, there is just something about "It's a Small World" that will get to a kid. But Bacon, you have legend, my parents have evidence in the form of a VHS tape. We haven't got around to sending it to America's Funniest Home Videos yet.

The Haunted Mansion has, and still does, scare me. I would rather sit at the opera house and listen to Lincoln all day long, then to ride the Haunted Mansion.

I remember hitting my head on Indiana Jones when it first opened because I kept my head down through the entire ride after the bug room(I hate spiders, and wasn't gonna take the chance again).

Now, most of the time I try to ride everything at least twice if I can. However, I still try to avoid the Haunted Mansion. Feel free to call me a wuss, sissy, pantywaist....... all of my friends do as they enter the gate to Haunted Mansion, while I sit out in front, watching the smokers in front of the Rivers of America.

Now that's excitement!

tod
03-07-2004, 09:21 PM
The Mad Tea Party room where the March Hare and Mad Hatter popped up used to petrify me. I had nightmares about it.

That changed in the mid-'60s when they stopped popping up, and one politely poured tea for the other. In the '80s rehab that room disppeared entirely. It may be the croquet match now, I'm not sure.

--t

NirvanaMan
03-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Space Mountain.

LegolandMC
03-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Things that scared me at DL when I was younger?

The witch on Snow White....and not even the one on the ride! The one that cackles in that little section of the line that shows the dungeon...so I wouldn't even get on the ride.

The abominable snowman on Matterhorn.

Haunted Mansion...too dark. I knew about what was on the ride because of the Osmond/EJ Peaker special on the Wonderful World of Color (ha ha...good show :geek: ), but wouldn't go on it.

Cat H
03-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Pinnochio. It's so dark, and just plain creepy.

Little tod
03-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Haunted Mansion, without a doubt. My dad took me as a wee Little tod of around five or so. I was freaked out at first by the bigness of it. Then the gallery started stretching, and I was really put out. Then the lights went out. I was scared out of my mind. And it's a darn good thing I wasn't paying attention to the commentary, or that I didn't look up after the lights went out.

drjones
03-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Pirates of the Crribean - I thought the Pirates were going to shoot me

Haunted Mansion - The pop-up ghosts Madame Leota (head in a ball!!!!)

Inner Space - Fear of shrinking and the heartbeat throb of "THE NUCLEUS"

Jungle Cruise - shooting the hippos ( i didn't know hippos were dangerous until i was in my 20's)

Fireworks - too loud

Space Mountain - the cookie (as a kid, to me that was wrong on so many levels) Don't ask, i was a neurotic kid

CM's who knew my name , even though i had it embroidered on my hat, but i forgot

It's a Small world - the flowered hippo. I would freak if I had to sit on the right side of the boat because i would have sit next to it. Michelle (my better half), was afraid of the hyenas

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-08-2004, 09:47 PM
I was always mildly disturbed by the pop-up heads in the Haunted Mansion (and to some extent, the whole ride). Nothing stands out as much as the waterfalls on Pirates however. When I was a little kid, I dreaded this part of the ride (Now, I absolutely love it). To this day, I still remember the fear vividly, every time I see the talking skull right before the first drop.

All That Glitters...
03-08-2004, 10:45 PM
When I was little, there was a Babes in Toyland walkthrough attraction on Main St. It had creepy trees that moved like they were going to grab you and they scared me half to death!

ppmuse
03-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Up to when they changed Tomorrowland, the rockets scared the you know what out of me. I kept seeing the bolts losen and my little rocket going straight into the waters of the Submarine ride.

When I was really young, my mom tells a story that they put me onto the Storybook ride and I saw the whale and started screaming. I continued screaming even after they removed me from the ride. As I was sniffling on the side lines, everybody in that doomed boat waved to me and said everything was fine. Then they entered the whales mouth, and never returned.

03-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Here's what freaked me out as a kid:

Submarine Voyage mermaids
Jungle Cruise headhunters and Trader Sam
chanting tikis at the finale of the Tiki Room

Wfoxx
03-09-2004, 09:52 AM
When I was 3 back in 1964. My mom took me on Alice in Wonderland. The chesire cat scared me so bad . I just laid down on the seat and didn't speak or blink for the rest of the ride. My mom had to carry me off the ride It took me til I was 7 to even go on the ride after that. The witch from Snow White messed me up too on that trip. My mom still feels guilty to this day about it.

BELLEH5
03-09-2004, 05:22 PM
POTC freaked me out, cuz I thought the Pirates!