PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for Family Restraunts & 7/11 type stores

GRAMALOHA
03-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know any Family Restraunts close to Disneyland & also some little mini marts to buy food, etc, that would be easy walking as we will have 2 Pre-schoolers? We will be staying at the Tropicana Inn which I is on Harbor.
Thanks to all of you

JeffG
03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
There is an actual 7-11 on the corner of Harbor and Katella, which is right at the southeast corner of Disneyland property.

As for family restaurants along Harbor, your best bets are probably Mimi's Cafe and Millie's. There is also a Dennys and an IHOP along there, although they tend to be overpriced for those chains.

For a little longer walk, there is also a pretty decent Cocos on the corner of Katella and Disneyland Drive. While it is a good hike, you can cut through Downtown Disney to make it a tolerable distance.

-Jeff

nightdesigns
03-05-2004, 07:33 PM
2 thumbs up for mimi's.

If you want to get a little away from the d-land area, you can go to the block, tons of varietys of food there for all price ranges, from a pizza place to fox sports grille.

bandboy1985
03-05-2004, 08:56 PM
my favorite hotel, the tropicana (where you will be staying) actually has within it a small "minnie mart"- charmingly named, eh? they sell all manner of food- pre-packaged, frozen, fresh fruit, breakfast cereal- along with other sundries, sunglasses, etc.

after many band trips, college tours and vacations at the tropicana, you get pretty familiar with the layout. all the rooms also include a small refridgerator and microwave (think dorm-sized) that are both large enough to do some dorm-style cooking and storing of your leftovers.

gotta love the trop!

spectromen
03-06-2004, 08:23 AM
Will you have a car or do the restaurants all need to be walking distance?

tod
03-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by spectromen
Will you have a car or do the restaurants all need to be walking distance?

If you expand your horizons to "Five-minute (or ten-minute) drive" we can recommend a lot of good places. Remember, once you decide to actually leave the Park(s) you are commiting to 90 minutes minimum. It will be just as time-consuming to walk to where you're going as it would be to walk to the Tropicana and drive somewhere close.

Think about it.

--T

GRAMALOHA
03-06-2004, 09:03 AM
We will not be renting car so everything needs to be with walking distance.

Forbin
03-06-2004, 09:15 AM
There is a Denny's right across the street from DL if you are looking for a place that your kids can go to and get a meal.

tod
03-06-2004, 12:43 PM
The Denny's and the Millie's are very good (on a comfort/familiarity level) for your pre-schoolers, and there's also a McDonald's on Harbor.

--T

nightdesigns
03-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Can't forget IHOP, directly across the street.

tod
03-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by nightdesigns
Can't forget IHOP, directly across the street.

I, for one, didn't forget it at all. I chose not to recommend it because I think it's not very good. Other people may have different opinions, but my not recommending the IHOP on Harbor was a deliberate choice.

--t

justagrrl
03-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Out of all the choices, I really think Mimi's is the best of them. Of course, you wouldn't want to eat all your meals in one place - but I would go there in heartbeat over all of them. (We used to live right down the street actually.)

Mimi's seems to go a bit out of their way for the little ones. Usually they bring some sort of little snack plate when you have little kids - like a little plastic cup with some cherrios or crackers? It's been awhile, and I'm trying to remember.

Good muffins. Good breakfast - my husband really liked their Tasso Lasso omelette. I've had the pot roast sandwich before and really enjoyed that. I've heard others rave about the stuffed french toast.

You can view thier menu here: http://www.mimiscafe.com/

DivaPrincess
03-07-2004, 02:10 PM
We tried Mimi's Cafe (about a block north of the Tropicana) this trip and liked it so much we went back for a second night. The food was wonderful, the service great and the atmosphere really nice.

You'll have no problem finding everything you need right along that row of hotels. Many of them have little stores and such, and most hotels have continental breakfasts.

CraigMBA
03-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by DivaPrincess
We tried Mimi's Cafe (about a block north of the Tropicana) this trip and liked it so much we went back for a second night. The food was wonderful, the service great and the atmosphere really nice.

Agreed. They have the best food of any chain I've ever eaten at anywhere.

Might have something to do with actual scratch-cooking as opposed to prepackaged-reheating a la Dennys.

I think I missed my calling as a food critic.

Do you really live on what became of Ascot? I love sprint cars........