PDA

View Full Version : Is that Tower of Terror...

disneyfreak2727
03-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Is the tower of terror almost finished??????Is the date known now....:)

DCAWhites
03-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I'd call it 95% finished. Literally all they need to do is continue testing the shafts/train CMs, stock the gift shop, and install the trash cans (they have already installed the benches and even started playing the area music). The asphalt might be redone to be more permenent (the current pavement is weird).

It opens may 5th of this year, 2 months from now.

disneyfreak2727
03-03-2004, 03:57 PM
great thanks so much

Disneyfreak
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
They are still working on the Queue.

MNhockeyman
03-04-2004, 06:38 AM
Does anyone know if there is going to be a soft opening? I am going to DL with my wife on our honeymoon April 25 - May 3. I know the grand opening is May 5. I would like to take her on ToT. She has never been to any Disney Parks.

DCAWhites
03-04-2004, 07:45 AM
I'd say there is a good chance of soft openings during your trip. Your dates don't coincide with AP or Cast member previews.

lazythrillseeker
03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
Does anybody know of anyone who has been on it yet? An Imagineer told me about a year ago that he was really upset that in order to cut costs down, they were going to take out the entire beginning of the TOT WDW version. That would basically make it a dark Maliboomer. God, I hope not.

David R
03-04-2004, 11:34 AM
They have cut out the part where the elevator moves forward through the Twilight Zone at WDW. Instead they installed a new effect that's cheaper and does not require the elevator to move horizontally.

AaronInCal
03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know when the Cast Member and AP previews will be yet? Amazing how it's just 2 months away from the official opening!

TerryTiger
03-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Time to give this thread a bump... It's just a month until CM/AP previews and they still aren't cycling guests through... My understanding is that WDI hasn't even turned the attraction over to park ops yet. Does anyone else find this odd for a major Disney E-ticket this close to opening???

Irish Badger
03-16-2004, 10:34 AM
cm's can start picking up thier tickets on March 24th but not sure of the dates yet

experiment626
03-16-2004, 11:14 AM
any talk of AP previews OTHER then the ones where you have to spend a few hundred dollars for the previllage of riding it?

LFuzzy
03-16-2004, 04:53 PM
It should be turned over to DCA on Monday.
The up/down portion is working, they still have a few
'show elements' to finish up.
Never been on Maliboomer so I can't compare, but I
thought the boomer was just a gravity drop.
TOT is NOT a gravity drop.

PsychDoc
03-16-2004, 06:40 PM
is this ride just a "free fall" mailboomer type of ride? How far does it drop. I'm not really into just falling. Don't really like it. Mabye I should just pass on it? Don't mind roller coaster type drops -- I can hang with Screamin'. I can't ride it 4 times in a row ( my 10 year old made me do that once-- yuck!).

experiment626
03-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by LFuzzy
I thought the boomer was just a gravity drop. TOT is NOT a gravity drop.
Maliboomer shots you UP not down, so that there is a major difference between it and ToT. Plus ToT has a great back story to it, Boomer you just Shoot Up.

disneydreams
03-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
Plus ToT has a great back story to it

indeed. You can watch Disney's Tower of Terror (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008L3SY/qid=1079497206/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-3222073-4728947?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846) movie, if you wanna understand the story.

The actual "The Twilight Zone" TV series aren't used in the ride is there? (besides Rod Serling's narration and 5th Dimension stuff?) I've never seen any of the TV episodes.

sediment
03-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Even when it's open, some people will find it unfinished (relative to WDW's).

Disneyfreak
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by PsychDoc
is this ride just a "free fall" mailboomer type of ride? How far does it drop. I'm not really into just falling. Don't really like it. Mabye I should just pass on it? Don't mind roller coaster type drops -- I can hang with Screamin'. I can't ride it 4 times in a row ( my 10 year old made me do that once-- yuck!).

You would be missing a ride of a lifetime. This is more then just gravity. The elevator is all done with computers. It is totally random on how the elevator moves. I saw it dropping and it dropped then it came up then stood still for 4 seconds shook then dropped again. So it is not all gravity.:) Just think of it like Indy.

ToursbabeC3po
03-17-2004, 02:00 AM
posted by TerryTiger Time to give this thread a bump... It's just a month until CM/AP previews and they still aren't cycling guests through... My understanding is that WDI hasn't even turned the attraction over to park ops yet. Does anyone else find this odd for a major Disney E-ticket this close to opening???

Last week they wanted me to come over for emergancy evacuation testing so I think ops has it.

danyoung
03-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by lazythrillseeker
Does anybody know of anyone who has been on it yet?

There is an excellent thread on Laughing Place started by a DCA cast member who talked to a couple other cast members who rode during a recent test phase. The description was pretty encouraging!

MonorailMan
03-17-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by danyoung
The description was pretty encouraging!

Very encouraging. Check it out. :)