PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for DCA: Attractions Posters (a la Disneyland)

squirrel2k
03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
One of the not-so-hidden features of Disneyland that really impresses me is the attractions posters that are displayed in the tunnels as you enter Main Street USA [see http://www.imagineering.org/posters.html ]

Has the Disneyland Resort given any thought to producing similar posters for Disney's California Adventure’s attractions, much like Michael Schwab recently did for the Golden Gate National Parks [see http://www.michaelschwab.com/store/storepost4.html ]? Having Schwab-like, California arts-and-crafts-insipired posters for DCA's attractions certainly isn't a panacea for DCA’s other problems, but it is a relatively cheap way to graphically tie DCA’s attractions to DCA’s vision--and it might generate a few extra merchandising dollars to boot.

sediment
03-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Step 1: build a berm. No wait, that's too expensive, and Magic Mountain and Knott's don't have one. What's good enough for...

"Tower of Terror -- We guarantee it won't be too long!!"
"Superstar Limo -- See the classic stars of Yesteryear!"
"Soarin -- Go on it at least once in your life!"
"Bug's Land -- Something for the young kids!"
"Screamin' -- Something for the older kids and adults!"
"Muppets -- Just like in Florida!"
"Cove Bar -- Get just like Eisner: Tanked!"

I hope you didn't expect anything serious.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by sediment
"Screamin' -- Something for the older kids and adults!" If I may:

<valley girl>
Not EVEN!
</valley>

Thank you. :D

Back on topic - DCA had all kinds of attraction merch with attraction logos on them, and they ended up in the Character Warehouse for years afterwards.

In other words, snazzy designs won't fix weak attractions.

AVP
03-03-2004, 03:49 PM
There actually were three area / attraction posters created and sold during the Merchandise Special Preview Mix In Event before DCA opened to the public. SuperStar Limo (Hollywood Backlot Distict), Sun Wheel (Paradise Pier District) and Grizzly River Run (Golden State District).

None of the logos were especially compelling - or popular. (I liked the artwork, but I was in the minority it seems). You can see all of the merchandise from that event at this link. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/mer012201.htm) The attraction posters were such a limited edition that they sold out, but none of the other merchandise did - QUITE a lot was destroyed after the event.

I think that DCA attraction-specific merchandise should be shelved for a few more years. I am gratified to see that DCA has gone back to a clean, simple logo for apparel, and stopped trying all of the variations-on-a-theme that were clogging the clearance bins at the outlet stores. There was a TON of DCA merchandise created when the park opened - die cast toys, attraction playsets, whole collections of plush - and none of it sold.

There were too few people coming into the park, and taking too little merchandise home. People had not yet had a chance to develop an affinity for the park or the attractions, so they weren't shopping for souvenirs.

Unfortunately, the failure of this category of merchandise at DCA has meant that plans to create similar merchandise for Disneyland were squashed. The reasoning - "The DCA stuff didn't sell, so obviously people don't WANT park-specific merchandise." Members of the merchandise staff told me that they were not ALLOWED to use the overall failure of DCA to explain the lack of interest in this product. The company line was that "if it doesn't work at DCA, it doesn't work in California," and no further discussion was allowed.

Fortunately, this attitude has changed in the past year, as the company admits more openly that DCA needs help. We are begining to see Disneyland-specific merchandise again, and some of it is just awesome. Unfortutunately, much of this merchandise is co-branded with Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, and often features their Castle or their attraction variations. (There is NO Mariner in the Disneyland Haunted Mansion. Thank you)

Given a few more years - and some popular attractions - DCA will be in a better position to introduce some affinity merchandise that will actually sell.

AVP

sediment
03-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Let's start with better attractions.

"Tortilla Tour!..." Oh, I give up.

Disneyfreak
03-03-2004, 04:26 PM
My grandfather printed those posters you see in both tunnels. We have copies of the originals under his bed.:)

spectromen
03-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Wow, I actually like those 3 attraction posters that AVP showed us. Are the large size versions displayed in the park or were they ever?

SacTown Chronic
03-08-2004, 11:00 AM
How about a poster depicting Eisner squeezing a screaming penny.

sediment
03-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Looks like John Hench got the look of the Esplanade perfectly in his Inaugural drawing.

This is the same John Hench who preferred the parking lot.