PDA

View Full Version : Best Off-Site close hotel?

Pages : [1] 2

Sheilaras
03-02-2004, 07:35 PM
The dates we are going are completely booked. I managed to get 3 seperate rooms on-site but would have to be moving each night. DisneyLand Hotel Conceirge - DisneyLand regular room - Grand Californian. So, is it THAT worth it to stay on site like that or should we get an off-site hotel and at least not have to move? If so, which do you recommend?

adriennek
03-02-2004, 08:08 PM
You don't say when you're going.

Personally, I don't think it's that worth it if you *have* to move that much. If you're willing to take a short walk or use a shuttle service, there are other options in the area. We really like the Anaheim Marriott at the Anaheim Convention Center (we're not fans AT ALL of that Hilton.)

Adrienne

Sheilaras
03-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm going 3/25-29. Thur, Fri & Sun nights we need a hotel. So, we'll have to move once anyway.

We have reservations at the Grand Californian for Sunday which we will keep. It's Thur-Fri I'm having a problem with.

I'm trying to wade through the off-site hotel reviews, but there are so many hotels. :eek:

tod
03-02-2004, 08:16 PM
I suggest you stay close to the Harbor Boulevard entrance, at the Park Place or one of the other nearby motels. If you can't have luxury, go for convenience (and I haven't paced it out, but I'll bet that the Harbor Boulevard lodgings are closer to the front gates than all the Disney hotels except for the Grand Californian).

--T

And keep in touch with Disney. Last-minute cancellations have been known to happen.

DivaPrincess
03-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm staying at the Carousel Inn Tomorrow and Thursday. I'll let you know!

Darkbeer
03-02-2004, 09:18 PM
My first choice is the Howard Johnson's on Harbor.....

Alpha1mom
03-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Over the years we have stayed at the "Disneyland Resort Hotels"
and for the money and services, some of the area hotels are just as good. (and way less expensive)
The Howard Johnson is one of my favorites!
I'd also recommend:
The Candy Cane
The Westcoast (now called The Coast)
Even the Anaheim Plaza Inn is do-able.
Save your money for fun stuff rather than a room.

Have a Great Trip!

Gr8Scott
03-03-2004, 06:42 AM
I just stayed at the Howard Johnson from February 20 - February 27. I booked my room over the phone months ago and the woman who booked my room said I would have a park view and quoted me on my nightly rates. When I arrived, the clerk said there were no park view rooms and said the rate I was quoted was wrong. I gave them my confirmation number and they said that there was no way for the woman who I originally spoke to guarantee a park view room. I ended up staying in a room on the side of the interstate in building 2 which I totally didn't want. When I checked out, the clerk tried charging me more than I was quoted. After speaking with her manager, she said she would be so kind as to let me have my Interstate 15 room for the price I was quoted. She acted as though I was lying to her to get a better rate. I left feeling crappy. The room on the other hand was very clean.

spectromen
03-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Wow, that does look like a busy 3 nights in Anaheim based on rates & availability.
Your best bargain that's available is the Anaheim Plaza and you can't beat the location directly across the street, in easy walking distance. It won't nearly match up to the Disney hotels, but you might appreciate the price and proximity....

julia
03-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi,

Look into the Candy Cane Inn because it backs onto Disneyland and it is so close that you can hear the fireworks from your room! It sells out quickly and early, but it is worth a try.

The Anaheim Marriott, the Hilton Garden Inn and the Embassy Suites Anaheim South always seem to be popular and get a lot of good reviews.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Have a magical day!
Julia

Lani
03-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
We really like the Anaheim Marriott at the Anaheim Convention Center (we're not fans AT ALL of that Hilton.)If you like big hotels, the convention center area has a number of them. Be WARNED however, these are "convention hotels" geared towards folks who are attending conferences at the convention center. Primary consideration is that none of these are within walking distance to the park. If you want to easily be able to walk back on your own schedule and not worrying about catching a shuttle, I would avoid the convention hotels.

My suggestion, as others have pointed out, is to find a motel on Harbor Boulevard as close to the pedestrian entrance to the resort as possible.

Immediately across the street is the Best Western Park Place Inn, one of our favorites. You absolutely can't complain -- it's directly across the street and closer to the park entrance than it is from the Disneyland Hotel! :)

Niwel
03-03-2004, 09:52 AM
My vote goes to the castle-looking structure off the 5 (also known as the Sheraton Anaheim). Very large rooms, comfy beds, nice pool and pretty courtyards. Plus, joining the Starwood Club (for free) gets you points and perks - like special check-in. The staff is soooo friendly and everything is very clean. It is a Good Neighbor Hotel and free shuttles run to and from the resort. It is directly north of the resort and can easily see the fireworks if you stand near the entrance.

mamabot
03-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Lani
snip
Immediately across the street is the Best Western Park Place Inn, one of our favorites. You absolutely can't complain -- it's directly across the street and closer to the park entrance than it is from the Disneyland Hotel! :)
I concurr on the recommendations for the Park Place Inn.

My kids and I stayed there in October and had a wonderful time. The rooms are large and have a nice sized mini fridge and pretty okay bathrooms. And I am staying there again for MA in March.

I especially liked the location and the enchanted Tiki Room decor. The prices are pretty reasonable too.

Sheilaras
03-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Wow, thanks for all the great recommendations!! My friend and I will have to sift through it all (soon). :)

I'm so excited!!

CarlieB
03-03-2004, 10:43 AM
I'll add my vote for the Howard Johnson. We've stayed there before, and are booked in there for December this year. Last year we stayed at the Carousel Inn, which is okay. It's a bit more basic than the HoJo, but really close to the Parks, which is a plus. We've also stayed at the Anabella, which I liked, but it's a bit further away (round by the Convention Centre)

THE REF
03-03-2004, 02:55 PM
How about The Hampton Inn and Suites Garden Grove? Anybody have any info on it?

Sheila
03-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Just in case you didn't know about it, we have a fabulous Review section on MousePlanet: MP Review System (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi)

It's chockfull of lots of reviews on most or all of the hotels listed above. :D

Sheila

dsnylndmom
03-03-2004, 07:34 PM
My top three have all been mentioned so I'll just add my vote to them! LOL

BW Park Place Inn
Embassy Suite Garden Grove
Hojos

:D

Shinku
03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Add my vote for the Howard Johnson. I just stayed there over valentine's weekend (celebrating a birthday with a friend) and everything was very clean and nice.

*thumbsup*

adriennek
03-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Lani
If you like big hotels, the convention center area has a number of them. Be WARNED however, these are "convention hotels" geared towards folks who are attending conferences at the convention center. Primary consideration is that none of these are within walking distance to the park. If you want to easily be able to walk back on your own schedule and not worrying about catching a shuttle, I would avoid the convention hotels.

I do agree that there are great options on Harbor- the reason I recommended the Marriott is that it is more comprable to the level of service and price-point at the DL hotels- room service, concierge service, in hotel amenities (restaurants, a Starbucks,) etc. (That and I do NOT recommend the Hilton and I had a very unfortunately experience at the Coast Hotel.)

And depending on what you consider a "walk"- it's not that bad of a walk if you cut through the convention center walkways, cross Katella, and walk through the Timon parking lot. If they're running that Timon tram, you can even pick it up there.

Adrienne

mad4mky
03-04-2004, 08:23 AM
I have enjoyed staying at the Hilton Garden Inn ...very nice, clean...with a free shuttle.

sleepyjeff
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
... and I do NOT recommend the Hilton and I had a very unfortunately experience at the Coast Hotel.)

Adrienne

So did my family and I. We were kept awake by Wedding parties and Power selling meetings every night of our stay there. The drunks would be shouting and yelling in the hallways as late as 4am! ---they don't even let families use the pool after 9pm bacause it might "disturb" other guests...

We called the front desk every night to complain.....they pretty much handled us with the normal "we will do whatever we can" blah blah blah...

Upon check out our kids were playing simon says in the lobby with grandma as simon. They were laughing and having a pretty good time( maybe a little loud, but at least not running around), when a drunk from the bar complained that he could not hear the tv in the bar because of my kids. We were politiely asked to wait for our transportation outside.

So I guess the policy of this hotel is:

Drunks disturbing kids at 4am = ok.

Kids distrubing drunks at 4pm = not ok.

Never will stay there again.

SacTown Chronic
03-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Our family stayed at the Coast Hotel last July and had a wonderful time there. The service was excellent. It was a bit of a walk from the hotel to DL though.

One day sleepyjeff and I will agree on something and there will be great rejoicing.;)

sleepyjeff
03-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic

One day sleepyjeff and I will agree on something and there will be great rejoicing.;)

I like Sacramentos' extra wide side streets. I also enjoy Fondue Freds in Berkeley. Surely we can agree on this.:)

sleepyjeff
03-04-2004, 01:50 PM
In all fairness. When we last stayed there it was several years ago, and it was called the West Coast Anaheim. So maybe things have improved.

:)