PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Terrorist Threat!

Pages : [1] 2

thamnarestan
10-13-2001, 12:15 AM
A New York Times article I found hinted that Disneyland and Disney world may be attacked be terrorists this weekend:

"At one point today, government officials said they had acquired information pointing to a possible attack on the Sears Tower in Chicago. Other officials said there were threats against Disney World in Florida or Disneyland in California. Later, other high-level counterterrorism officials said they had heard nothing of such a threat."

Check out the article at http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/13/national/13INQU.html

I'm glad to see that Disneyland is taking extra precautions. A concrete barrier and Ryder truck have been set up as barricades in front of the Harbor gate (the Ryder truck can be moved for emergency vehicles, of course).

Even still, don't go to Disneyland this weekend (unless you have to, like me). Wait until Monday, at least. Disneyland may not still be there, but at least you will.

cstephens
10-13-2001, 05:33 AM
While it's of course prudent to always be careful at this point in time, I'm not sure making alarmist posts is the answer. I think people should go about their lives and not hide in fear. Yes, some particular locations have had unspecific threats made against them, but even without the specific threat, people need to decide what they're going to do and how they're going to react.

dsnyredhead
10-13-2001, 06:42 AM
I'm still going to DL this weekend...

It's bad enough we live in fear. I am not going to let this run my life and never go anywhere.

merlinjones
10-13-2001, 06:55 AM
Personally, if there really is a specific threat (however unlikely), why wouldn't one be prudent about discretionary activity? I for one am glad to hear this information. "Going about one's life" hardly necessitates a trip to an amusement park that can be put off to another day.

I hope as Americans we have not fooled ourselves into thinking that what we represent and fight for is instant gratification. Capitalism is the means to Democracy, not the end in itself. I'm not sure many people know the difference anymore... If we feel our freedoms are only defined by making, spending, consuming and distracting ourselves despite any risk, we become the consumer culture caricatures they think we are.

pixiepal
10-13-2001, 09:04 AM
My fiancee says "If I have to die, I might as well do it at the Happiest Place on Earth!"

There is no way I am going to let those idiot terrorists keep me from Disneyland!! :D

Alex S.
10-13-2001, 09:45 AM
The linked article sounds like there are a bunch of people talking to the press without any clear picture of the facts. I'm sure threats have been made against Disneyland, Disney World and any 50 other prominent sites.

thamnarestan, if you feel the threat is credible enough that you are going to warn people away from the parks, I would suggest you call in sick.

Everybody else, you have to make personal decisions about the risks you are willing to take. Yes, I would guess that Disney properties are probably higher risks than most other places. But I personally place the risk at such a low level that I am not willing to let it deter me from going to the park.

tabacco
10-13-2001, 12:27 PM
I'm not going this weekend, although that's only because I'm not in town :)

Dreamstaker
10-13-2001, 12:40 PM
I have already been this weekend (of course I am so close if Disneyland goes, I go anyway). There were pairs of police officers inside the park. Two at both sides of the entry tunnel and two at Coke corner.

Other than that, no difference. Crowds are heavy.

thamnarestan
10-13-2001, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
The linked article sounds like there are a bunch of people talking to the press without any clear picture of the facts. I'm sure threats have been made against Disneyland, Disney World and any 50 other prominent sites.

thamnarestan, if you feel the threat is credible enough that you are going to warn people away from the parks, I would suggest you call in sick.

Everybody else, you have to make personal decisions about the risks you are willing to take. Yes, I would guess that Disney properties are probably higher risks than most other places. But I personally place the risk at such a low level that I am not willing to let it deter me from going to the park.

Well I just read an article in the OC Register today that reported that the terrorists have cased Disneyland and LAX, among other targets.

I will report to work today because it's my job and I will be paid to do so. But I certainly wouldn't go as a guest. Seeing the new Mansion makeover isn't really worth the risk.

Of course, everyone should weigh the risks himself in choosing to go. But consider this: if Disneyland isn't bombed this weekend, it will still be there on Monday for you to visit. If it is, you have saved your own life. Some things are worth risking one's life. An obsession with an amusement park shouldn't be.

blusilva
10-13-2001, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by thamnarestan
But consider this: if Disneyland isn't bombed this weekend, it will still be there on Monday for you to visit. If it is, you have saved your own life. Some things are worth risking one's life. An obsession with an amusement park shouldn't be.

The point is it could have been bombed all along. Could have been bombed a year ago. Could have been bombed September 9. If it isn't bombed over the weekend, who's to say it won't be bombed on Monday? Or on Thursday? Or 154 days from today?

Life is for living. I refuse to let the terrorism continue.

I went to Disneyland last night. I will go again tomorrow.

Who knows, I just MIGHT get involved in a fatal car wreck on the freeway on the way there or back. The odds of that happening are much greater than the odds of being killed in a terrorist attack.

Yes, I'm going to "risk my life" to go have fun at an amusement park. The new Haunted Mansion *is* worth it. The time with my friends *is* worth it - cuz who knows? They might die on Monday.

Seriously.

JRob2k1
10-13-2001, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by thamnarestan
Some things are worth risking one's life. An obsession with an amusement park shouldn't be.

Either is a job at an amusement park!! Is minimum-wage, terrible hours really worth it...??

-JRob

thamnarestan
10-13-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JRob2k1

Either is a job at an amusement park!! Is minimum-wage, terrible hours really worth it...??

-JRob

You're right. I've called in sick.

I'm in college and I guess that in the big picture, a side job at Disneyland doesn't mean much.

Thomas
10-13-2001, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup

These are like the scientists that say an 8.0 or greater earthquake is going to hit in the next 100 years. It's just unpredicatable when something is going to happen.

Get on with you life. I hate to say it, but if you are going to die, you are going to die.

Largent81
10-13-2001, 03:38 PM
Ok, so lets not go to amusement parks, fly on ariplanes, drive in big cities, travel, shop, go to work, go to school... HECK! Let's just stop living!!!! If it were that big of a threat, don't you think they would have closed the parks?

tabacco
10-13-2001, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Dreamstaker
I have already been this weekend (of course I am so close if Disneyland goes, I go anyway). There were pairs of police officers inside the park. Two at both sides of the entry tunnel and two at Coke corner.

Other than that, no difference. Crowds are heavy.

Ack! APD is in the park? Or was it Disney Security?

Originally posted by Largent81
Ok, so lets not go to amusement parks, fly on ariplanes, drive in big cities, travel, shop, go to work, go to school... HECK! Let's just stop living!!!! If it were that big of a threat, don't you think they would have closed the parks?

I agree. If we all disrupt our lives and live in fear and panic, calling in sick to work and otherwise altering our lives, then we've pretty much helped to accomplish what Bin Laden wants. If I were even reasonably nearby right now, I'd go to the park this weekend for sure. No terrorist is gonna keep me from seeing HMH :)

zapppop
10-13-2001, 04:50 PM
:D Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll only attack California Adventure :D

MickeyD
10-13-2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by tabacco

Ack! APD is in the park? Or was it Disney Security?

APD was a pretty noticable presence in the park when I was there last Monday.

Mr D
10-13-2001, 06:51 PM
For those that have real fears its normal, its human to have fear, did those terrorists that piloted the aircraft have fear? no they did not, they had false promises of rewards, they stopped being human beings such as us. Face your fear, it was given to us to heighten our senses and open our eyes make our hearing keener and in most cases developes strength, so gather up your fears and swallow it with human dignity, that we are free, free of mind and spirit, we are able to rationalize unlike those that wish us harm. We can attack this problem, yes you and I can attack them by denying them the satisfaction of terrorizing us. When I go to WDW for two weeks next month I am becoming a hunter, a hunter of those that I may see trying to hurt me, and most of all I will not be blinded by fear or prejudice, I will not focus on anyone looking Arab or middle east, I feel the latest Anthrax events are possibly another group, possibly one of the domestic white supremist societies, it could just be a regular person like you and me, and it would give me extreme personal satisfaction to catch somebody redhanded whoever they may be, of course then there is the bounty reward......its time to start making copies of the most wanted and pass them out to your friends, put them up at the laundrymat, bulletin boards at work and school, carry one with you, put one up in your back window of your car or truck, let the world know you are looking for them but also be aware that it may be somebody you least expect. If and I mean IF something happens like mistaken substances like drywall powder or confetti appears where you do not expect it DO NOT FREAK OUT if it is what may be an agent or poisonous substance its treatable, flu like symptons is an indicator, then go see a doctor. The worst case scenario would be like Drew Barrymore freaking out on SNL and having that happen at DL, it would create a mass panic and many could be hurt in a stampede to exit the park. The security is top notch right now at Disney and may actually be the safest place on earth, even here in Alaska we have had three reported cases of Anthrax mailings. Take care friends and just do not be like sheep but be the wolf.

Mr D
10-13-2001, 07:58 PM
This is an update, I just read about DCA, apparently I saw a vision, I mean about my last post, I honestly hope this is not something that is bad and is just a scare. That is why we must keep our sanity, hopefully agin its just something mistaken.

JeffG
10-13-2001, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll only attack California Adventure

I really don't think that is the slightest bit funny. This is a very serious issue and I think it is in incredibly poor taste to use the terrorist threat as yet another opportunity to bash DCA.

-Jeff

Mr D
10-13-2001, 08:49 PM
Jeff, until I hear more news I think DCA was in fact hit a little while ago, check out the news alert.

Mr D
10-13-2001, 09:05 PM
man I bet the scare at DCA was probably just spilled flour from the bakery and everyone panicked, all the more to keep your cool. On Fox News they said it was just a mistake a few minutes ago.

Lost Boy
10-13-2001, 09:07 PM
10:06pm Saturday night 10/13/01

I am sitting here writing this while listening to the news. Hazmat, fire and police were at DCA today as a white subsance was found at one of the restraunts. It is a false alarm. Nothing out of the ordinary was found.
Probably just some flour that got spilled. It is a restaraunt after all. No word yet on why two attactions were closed at Disneyland. But I have a feeling it will turn out to be false also.
They just said rides are running and NO EVACUATIONS at either Park took place. They think it is a hoax and if they find however did it, they will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

So lets all go and enjoy our Parks.

I plan to go next Friday to spend the day with my sister at Disneyland. She is undergoing Cancer treatment and we have not been to the Park together since we were kids, so we decided to go this Friday and enjoy the new HM together and have a fun day.

Largent81
10-13-2001, 09:12 PM
I hope you and your sister have alot of fun Friday Lost Boy. It's always nice to go and relive memories with siblings. Atleast you're not letting this mess ruin your day.

SimpTwister
10-13-2001, 09:32 PM
I probably shouldn't make light of this, but the wording of this MousePlanet news item gave me a chuckle:

Authorities with biological suits were spotted at California Adventure in what appears to be an investigation of a white powder found in that area, apparently near the bakery.

OK, now imagine your favorite late-night host reading this item with just the right comic timing...