PDA

View Full Version : Blue Man Group

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mickeyslittlehelper
03-02-2004, 03:32 PM
(from the miceage.com update http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al030204a.htm) I think this would be a perfect fit for DCA. I have seen them in Vegas and thought they were great! Any thoughts?

John

Grandbreaker
03-02-2004, 03:44 PM
My friend does know the founders of the group they would fit. :D :D :D :D :D

DisneyDustin22
03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
being a blue man group fanatic, I agree with having a rendition of BMG at Disney being a good idea. For those of you who don't know what Blue Man Group is or have never seen the show, it has like a cult following and huge fan base. Not only will it be something different for guests to enjoy, but it will definately up the attendance in DCA. Plus, knowing the creativity of BMG, who knows what unbelieveable things they would conjur up for a Disney show. I hope it goes through.

tod
03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Anything with any merit is dumped from the Hyperion before you can say "Hey, The Lovely Mrs. tod, that new show that The Little tods and I saw at the Hyperion is worth seeing." How the hell The Power of Blast! lasted as long as it did is a subject of wonder among The tod Family. The 45-minute condensed Aladdin is more like it.

I'd love to see Blue Man Group without taking a five hour drive and forking out $100 a head. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

--T

Morrigoon
03-02-2004, 07:05 PM
If BMG created a special Disney show, that would be fantastic! I love their regular stuff, and a pared down 40 minute version would be fine, but I'd really like a special show - and that would make DCA worth a special trip for BMG fans, and other BMG shows worth a visit for new fans from the parks.

NirvanaMan
03-02-2004, 08:14 PM
They totally kick!

EandCDad
03-02-2004, 08:35 PM
I'd love to see Blue Man Group for free at DCA. I'd also like to see the Beatles for free there. I think there is about as much chance of the latter happening as the former.

newhdplayer
03-02-2004, 08:39 PM
How could you justify bringing the BMG to DCA?

They are not Disney, nor do they feature Disney characters. That's just not acceptable.

DrIndianaJones
03-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer

They are not Disney, nor do they feature Disney characters. That's just not acceptable.
Neither is DCA, but that didn't stop them from building it.

BMG would be cool, but if anything a special "branch" of the group would preform at DCA rather than the actual group.

TheatreTech
03-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by NirvanaMan
They totally kick!
Simply put. *nods head* I'm going to second that.

powaqqatsi
03-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer

I'm glad that Rod Serling finally has a ride. I always thought that he was a really underappreciated Disney character.

BMG and Disney are really tailor made for eachother. BMG is, without a doubt, one of the best shows I have ever seen. A true meeting of high and low art. I just can't wait to see what they do with churros. I only hope that they are given creative freedom since I'm sure there will be one or two tongue in cheek jabs at Disney.

nightdesigns
03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Think about it, they'd made a perfect replacement for alladian: He's blue, they're blue, it's a beautiful blue world with mouse ears.

GoldenEars
03-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Can someone out there tell me exactly what the BMG does? I find it hard to believe I'd enjoy seeing a bunch of blue men on stage doing things. What type of entertainment would they provide for 30-40 mins in the Hyperion Theatre?

Personally, I would love for Disney to come up with a totally new concept for that theatre, and let it be centered around something related to Hollywood! I mean, that is where the Hyperion is located, so why not have a high energy, toe tapping, upbeat musical...with lots of dancing and costume changes?

If any of you out there remember the good 'ol days when Disney put on a show called, *Show Biz Is...* at both the Space Stage (now where HISTA is) and the Fantasyland Theatre, then you'll understand what type of concept I'm speaking about. It was a high energy show that dealt with music from Vaudeville to the Circus, The Big Bands, and Hollywood to Broadway. It had lots of musical numbers, colorful costume changes, Disney characters, and tons of great dancing!

To me, that type of show would fit in perfectly at the Hyperion! I'm not sure I'd like seeing a bunch of blue men up there. Unless someone can convince me that the show would be highly entertaining to me! As much as I enjoy Aladdin, I want something there that is NOT a typical Disney movie, turned stage show musical. Only time will tell, I guess.

Patrick

Slate
03-03-2004, 07:23 AM
BMG would never work. $40 or so to get into DL or DCA to play all day AND see the Blue Man Group.

-OR-

$100 to see them in Vegas.

The numbers do not work. I saw them in Vegas and it was a waste of $100 bucks. Yes I enjoyed the show BUT it was not worth $100 bucks. My party paid almost $700 bucks to see them.

We could have had a fat dinner and saw 2 other shows for that price and still have change.

If the BMG was $35 or $40, yes it would have been worth it.
But not $100.

Also people in Vegas tend to pay more for things since they toss money into slot machines left and right.

So finacially BMG would not work AND like someone else said, "Its Not Disney"

DCA is still Disney, it may be California themed but still Disney. The DisneyLand concept began in CA so theres the connection.
DCA showcases Disneys HollyWood movie side as well as others.

jrad32
03-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by DrIndianaJones
BMG would be cool, but if anything a special "branch" of the group would preform at DCA rather than the actual group.

Being in Vegas I have not heard that BMG wants out of their contract at the Luxor. Why would they? They are at a nice theater on the Las Vegas Strip. Certainly this is more desirable than being a theme park attraction at a half day park that sucks.

If anything as the above quote said it would be a branch trained by the originals.

cstephens
03-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by DsneNut
Can someone out there tell me exactly what the BMG does?

Here's a link (http://www.blueman.com/) for you.

As much as I enjoyed the Blue Man Group show in Las Vegas, I'm one of those who would rather see a Disney production in a Disney park. Liked Blast too and even went to see their real show but would still prefer a Disney production in a Disney park.

innerSpaceman
03-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I am also in the (apparent) minority who were not too impressed with the Blue Man Group. Maybe it's just cause their Vegas show was way overpriced. It was enjoyable, but would have been more appropriate at half the cost. Hey, maybe BMG and DCA are made for each other after all!

Not Afraid
03-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I am also in the (apparent) minority who were not too impressed with the Blue Man Group. Maybe it's just cause their Vegas show was way overpriced. It was enjoyable, but would have been more appropriate at half the cost. Hey, maybe BMG and DCA are made for each other after all!

I've only seen their tourng group (with David Bowie and Moby). They were fun, but I wasn't thrilled. I've seen better performance art in my life. I certainly wouldn't pay big money to see one of the more-permanent shows, at least not based on what I saw with the touring group.

tod
03-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by jrad32
Being in Vegas I have not heard that BMG wants out of their contract at the Luxor. Why would they? They are at a nice theater on the Las Vegas Strip. Certainly this is more desirable than being a theme park attraction at a half day park that sucks.

If anything as the above quote said it would be a branch trained by the originals.

According to an article I read in the Los Angeles Times, there are several Blue Man Group troupes out there already, and there are regular auditions to add new performers.

It may not be all that hard logistically to place a new Blue Man Group in DCA.

--T

DisneyDustin22
03-03-2004, 03:06 PM
I agree $100 for BMG in vegas is too much. but I would like to see them come to DCA. For those of you who have seen the show ONLY in vegas, its kind of a waste, in Chicago, NY and Boston seats run from $25-$55. and it can be a somewhat more intimate setting, like the Chicago show, they play a medium sized theatre that puts the audience in the show as much as possible. so yes the vegas show is very oevrpriced, b.c its las vegas. I do however think that if BMG came to DCA, it would call for a refurb of the Hyperion Theater interior. that could cause a set back b.c we all know how Disney doesnt like to shell out the bucks. and i dont see them making drastic changes to the inside of a fairly new building just yet. especially that size. so BMG might have to just be a wish for now, seeing that their show doesnt really fit into the "plush red seat broadway style" houses. can they make it work though? hey, who though a dark ride could fit into Country Bear Jamboree? so stranger things have happened. lets wait and see.

sediment
03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
BMG is not a basic one group. It is a corporation.
That said, I would expect a rather poor version of BMG working temporarily in DCA. You'd get what you pay for, and DCA does not pull in revenue. It would be just one more AP-Lounge act.

Grandbreaker
03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
If you saw them this past summer it would be like that. The Complex Rock Show also the name of there new CD. They went to 20 cities it is a good show also they have a DVD of the show watch and it might be what you see at DCA

newhdplayer
03-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by DrIndianaJones
Neither is DCA, but that didn't stop them from building it.

Good point. Maybe a BMG sub-group especially trained in the Disney arts would be a good adition after all.

But then they'll have to raise ticket prices for DCA, because of the value of entertainment found inside. Please don't let the TDA suits find out how much the BMG gets for a show in Vegas, cause then a ticket for DCA will jump to$99 / day.

EandCDad
03-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by tod
According to an article I read in the Los Angeles Times, there are several Blue Man Group troupes out there already, and there are regular auditions to add new performers.

It may not be all that hard logistically to place a new Blue Man Group in DCA.

--T

I didn't realize there were bunches of them. I, therefore, withdrawl my comment comparing the chances of getting Blue Man Group to getting the Beatles (two of whom are dead.)

I wouldn't mind seeing it. I liked the Blast show and it seemed pretty popular.

kflo
03-07-2004, 10:02 AM
I don't understand why BMG couldn't go to the Hyperion... First of all, if you say its not Disney, then I guess you should take away the bands and performers that perform at Club Buzz, they aren't Disney and I am referring to the Fab Four when they performed, Suburban Legends well the last time I checked they weren't either. Why does a show have to be Disney to be in DCA or DL. If they have any affiliation with the park its okay but if not they can't perform... I for one enjoyed Blast, it changed up the theater a lot... I guess Steps in Time wasn't Disney either except the fact of the animations during Go the Distance scene and that they were singing Disney songs.