PDA

View Full Version : Pointers for a new CM!

stitchfan_cm
03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
As some of you might know from reading an old post of mine, I will soon be starting my first day as a DLR CM!:D

I have read some of your posts and articles, and know that you expect a lot from a CM. I know that there is a 'standard' that you, as a guest, look for in a CM. I would just like to know what you look for in a great CM. That way I have a goal to set and reach.

Also, if there are any current or ex- CM that might be able to give some of their constructive criticism, that would be very welcomed as well.

Thanks A Lot Guys!

cmpeter
03-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Speaking as a guest, I know that my kids are in heaven when the CMs are able to stop and talk to them. My son has taken to reading the CMs name tag and then saying "Hey Bob, how's it going?" He will also ask them if they can point out any hidden Mickey's for him. I am always impressed when a CM takes the time to interact with my kids, even if it's just a "have a great day" and a smile.

youcancallmechris
03-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by stitchfan_cm
As some of you might know from reading an old post of mine, I will soon be starting my first day as a DLR CM!:D

I have read some of your posts and articles, and know that you expect a lot from a CM. I know that there is a 'standard' that you, as a guest, look for in a CM. I would just like to know what you look for in a great CM. That way I have a goal to set and reach.

Also, if there are any current or ex- CM that might be able to give some of their constructive criticism, that would be very welcomed as well.

Thanks A Lot Guys!

Current Cast Member

First off and foremost, don't let the magic die. Everyday the team makes magic for our Guests. The focus is delivered to every singe one of them. From the Annual Passholder, to the Guest from Hong Kong. They ALL deserve the same treatment- your absolute best. If you are a huge fan of the man who built the place, just remember when you're down, what you have to do to live up to his expectations. That always seems to work with me.

Whether you're in foods, attractions, merch, or custodial, you will play an essential role in keeping the park up to par. Take pride in your location, as well as your LOB. Always consider safety first. Know your stuff- nothing is worse than giving a Guest the wrong information. Be sure to read your CM reference guide, and make sure you are aware of any changes on the Resort Today posted daily at your destination.

Handle the Guests like you will never see them again. Chances are you won't. If you make it long enough through the triumphs and trails of the Disneyland Resort, maybe someday, someone will return, and they'll remember you! That's one of the most rewarding experiences I have had there. Don't ever hesitate to take a picture of a family or group regardless of how bad a day you've had. The one who was left out will be missing a very important part of that picture.

Don't be scared of making a fool of yourself. It's often said that one's pain is someone else's pleasure, and this applies very well to the Disneyland Resort. Most of us start out as quiet, shy Cast Members, and believe it or not, regardless of what kind of person you are- they will break you out of that shell, and soon your friends will be begging you to shut up. Give your absolute best performance daily, and don't be scared of looking ignorant- hopefully you'll get a good crowd, and get an applaud.

Don't pass rumors. Not that they're a bad thing, but realistically- you might be giving wrong information to our Guests. It's never a good idea to pass out disappointment. Rumors may steer Guests away from the Resort, from a lot of disappointment. This also ties into Honesty, and Trustworthy. I have never seen one Cast Member terminated from the Disneyland Resort who was honest, and trustworthy. Just don't do bad things and don't lie. It somehow may get you ahead, but you'll eventually get caught up in your own mess. Nobody will help you out of it.

Meet the facilities team. Those are the people who are going to fix your Attraction that's gone 101, the packer that you dump your trash in, or the griddle that cooks your food for the Guests. They are busy Cast Members, and generally take on the challenge of BOTH parks. Be patient and very descriptive when talking to them. Facilities basically prevents safety issues with equipment, or machinery. This team is a very very key role in the Parks.

Costumes- It’s not cool to be out of costume. As a matter of fact that's a pure disgrace to the Resort. Applicable issues are most often taken up with your Management Team, and may result in disciplinary action, including termination. We fit a role, in a themed land, in a theme park. Play it, or get off the Stage.

Finally take time and do your part. Listen to the Guests, AP's have the best feedback, and some feel that they aren't listened to, so why don't YOU try it, and pass the feedback to your Management. You'll never know how big of a favor you're doing for them. Pick up trash if you see it on the ground. Think what would you do if you owned the park? Would you pass it up thinking someone else will get it for you? Or are you going to take pride in your place, and take 2 seconds to pick it up, and keep the park looking nice?!

I can go on and on about how to be a role model Cast Member, based on my opinions but that could take days. Your comments are welcome!

C

Morrigoon
03-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes, no matter what your coworkers may tell you about what you can get away with with your costumes, make sure YOU are always dressed up to Disney standards. If you forget, refer to the handouts they gave you. Being sloppy is for someone else, not you :) Like Chris said, behave as if Walt could round the corner at any moment - would you want HIM to see you acting/looking like that?

Kids LOVE to be treated with the same deference as grownups. Often I will directly speak to the child in the party and let them try to answer for their group. It makes them feel special and important.

Don't refer to disabled guests as "wheelchairs". They're people too (for examples of poor behavior, just use the search function on these boards. Try "people first" as a search term!)

Today's coworker is tomorrow's lead. Remember that when talking to/ working with people.

Don't spread negativity. In fact, don't use negative words at all.

This is true especially with guests: instead of "I don't know", say "Let me find out" Instead of "You can't do that" try "Here's what you CAN do" Avoid negative terms as much as possible, it really helps in dealing with the guests.

DonaldDuck14
03-02-2004, 06:58 PM
welcome to the disney team.....glad to have ya on board;)

03-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Please don't jump on the Stupid Guests Bandwagon. For many, this is their first visit. It is overwhelmingly exciting. So what if the guests' brains aren't fully functional. Please don't take advantage.

For example .... although tempting, never send a guest to the farthest bathroom you can think of when you're asked "Where's the nearest bathroom?" for the 1,000th time that day. The same goes for the nearest anything or Attraction X when standing in front of Attraction X.

cmpeter
03-03-2004, 07:05 AM
LOL about the bathroom comment...I never would have thought a CM might get annoyed by having that question asked so many times...or send the poor guest to the fatherest bathroom. Guess, I better study up on the bathroom locations! :)

Grandbreaker
03-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Eat at the Bungalow or Cast Cafe at the DLH know your phone number when you need security tell us where you are. Think is this a security a mrt or custodial problem or medical.

DisneyFan25863
03-03-2004, 08:41 PM
AP's are friends, not food.

wonderful
03-04-2004, 11:20 PM
These are some practical things to keep in mind:
1. Commuter Assistance-- you can get reimbursed for being an environmentally conscious person... even if someone merely drops you off at work, YOU can get paid for that... look into it.
2. If you are not already, try to get CR-25 or RPT status as soon as you are able (about six months in) so you can take advantage of investing in 401k and Disney stock
3. Know your union and what it is going to cost you and just be prepared for that bit to be taken out of your pay
4. Unless you already have a good bank like Washington Mutual or a credit union, look into Partners as you will find it is the easiest bank to use as a CM (and there are other perks)
5. CMs get discounts at places like 24 Hour Fitness, Las Vegas hotels, GAP and Banana Republic on line, and a slew of other places, so check your Portal for discounts (they are not continuous)
6. Remember that your costume is part of the park and, as much as possible, try not to wear it in other public areas (like, say, Denny's or the grocery store)
7. Keep up with company news (and since you read this site, you are a step ahead)-- honestly, whatever company you work for, it is good to know what is going on, that way rumors end at your doorstep
8. Be proud of working for such a great company and a great place-- it's not perfect (few places are) but I have never seen a more concentrated mix of talented and good hearted people
9. Get involved in the fun stuff-- VoluntEAR activities like the reading program and special olympics are extremely rewarding, as are the Cast Activities like Minnies Moonlit Madness and the canoe races (you can even just come out to cheer and go to IHOP with your buddies afterward!)
10. ENJOY IT! Life goes on and people move on, so just make the most of your time with Disney, whether that is a semester or a lifetime...
Welcome to the team!

Pirate Girl
03-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
AP's are friends, not food.

LOL! That's so true!

tahnok100
03-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by youcancallmechris
Handle the Guests like you will never see them again. Chances are you won't. If you make it long enough through the triumphs and trails of the Disneyland Resort, maybe someday, someone will return, and they'll remember you! That's one of the most rewarding experiences I have had there. Don't ever hesitate to take a picture of a family or group regardless of how bad a day you've had. The one who was left out will be missing a very important part of that picture.

Park Guest

The same works in reverse. One of the funniest and coolest things to happen to us with a CM was at the entrance of the Indy queue. As soon as we got in the park that day we headed straight for Indy. Upon entering the queue one of the CM greeted us saying "welcome adventures!". A nice touch.

Later that day (about 6:00 PM) we headed back to Indy for a second ride. Upon entering the queue what should we hear but "Welcome back adventures!". I did a double take and sure enough it was the same CM!

If that wasn't cool enough then two days later we came back to the park, and, sure enough, "Welcome back adventures!".:eek:

That CM must have had quite a memory. And it made our visit quite memorable (that portion anyway).

Chemmech
03-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm also a new CM :).

marron-cream
03-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by wonderful
2. If you are not already, try to get CR-25 or RPT status as soon as you are able (about six months in) so you can take advantage of investing in 401k and Disney stock

You doon't need to be CR-25 or anything special to qualify for the stock program. And depending on what department you're in, turning CR-25 or RPT isn't going to be easy, as they're overflowing with them as is. Store Ops still have CMs who have worked in the park almost 3 years who still don't have RPT status. And supposedly Foods hasn't made RPTs since 2001 (that's what a Foods CM told me).

Not trying to flame, just don't want anyone to get their hopes up too quickly.

Mod. Note -- fixed vB code

DCAWhites
03-06-2004, 11:30 PM
^While i wouldn't say it takes 3 years to get Regular Part time (thats how bad knotts treats their employees....), but it almost certaintly isn't 6 months (MAYBE for CR-25 if you're able to pick up enough shifts to get those many months of 25 hours per week and MAINTAIN 25 hours by yourself while cr-25....you'll need at least a year seniority to automatically be scheduled 25 hours). RPT can be had in about 12-15 months in my dept, custodial, depending on your availibility. Full time status takes about 5 years to get (4 days of 10 hour shifts or 5 days of 8 hours each).

marron-cream
03-07-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by DCAWhites
While i wouldn't say it takes 3 years to get Regular Part time (thats how bad knotts treats their employees....), but it almost certaintly isn't 6 months (MAYBE for CR-25 if you're able to pick up enough shifts to get those many months of 25 hours per week and MAINTAIN 25 hours by yourself while cr-25....you'll need at least a year seniority to automatically be scheduled 25 hours). Perhaps not in Custodial, but I know that in Store Ops, there are far too many RFTs for the hours available in the off season, leaving even fewer for the RPTs... we won't even go into what CRs get during that time. I know CR-25s who have two or three years seniority that are relegated to begging for hours like new hires because they were only scheduled 8 hours for the week (and that's two four hour shifts, no less, not one nice long shift.) They're not likely to be having a major wave of, er, cast upgrades soon. Changing your status depends on the needs of your department, not on how long you've been working at the park.

Mod. note - fixed vB code

DCACM
03-08-2004, 08:23 AM
My tips for you in no particular order:

1. Learn and follow the S.E.R.V.I.C.E. model and 4 Keys, they are great tools.
2. Comply with the Disney Look.
3. Remember that "every guest is a mystery guest".
4. Be nice to your schedulers.
5. Bring your own lunch.
6. Steer clear of CM drama.
7. Never forget the magic and wonder Disneyland inspired when you were a child and be proud to pass it on and share it with the children and guests you'll encounter.
8. Pretend your costume doesn't have pockets, except the one you keep your reference guide in.
9. When faced with an upset guest, look at the situation from the guest's POV; take it professionally, not personally.
10. Know that you are part of something special. Think of all the millions of people around the globe, all of the memories, all of the laughter and smiles created in 1/2 century.
11. Do it for Walt.

Pirate Girl
03-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by DCACM
11. Do it for Walt.

Yeah! That's the best tip I've read on the board. Because it pretty much covers everything else and then some!

ArthurBang
03-08-2004, 01:26 PM
I work in store operations as well, and I actually did get RPT status in under 6 months. I hired in November of 2000, and went up to RPT in March (with a conversion date of Jan 1st). Of course, I've been trying to get up to RFT since then with no luck.

As for the stock purchase, I'd definitely recommend it to everyone. Even if you put 1% of your pay each week into it, they will buy partial shares and, like a 401k account, since it's pulled out before you get your check, you're really not going to miss it. I've put 15% into it every week (as I did with the 401k account at my last job) for over two years now and have close to 400 shares.

Unfortunately there are different stories circulating about the stock purchase plan. I wanted to get into it when I started and my on the job trainer told me I couldn't until 6 months. Other people were given a sign up form the very first day when they filled out their direct deposit and other forms. I've been trying to convince my co-workers for years now to get into the stock program and most of them tell me it's not worth it, but in the long run it definitely is.

marron-cream
03-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I know of people who got that too... it depends on the time you hired in and what park you hired into. I don't know what department Stitchfan will be in, but I can categorically state that in DL store ops, it'd be awhile before he'll turn RPT. And RFT? Forget it. With the whole landlocking situation, even the newer RFTs right now are having trouble getting 40 hours.

Originally posted by ArthurBang
I work in store operations as well, and I actually did get RPT status in under 6 months. I hired in November of 2000, and went up to RPT in March (with a conversion date of Jan 1st). Of course, I've been trying to get up to RFT since then with no luck.

oohykitten
03-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Not to be negative in this post, but just do me a personal favor... as best as you can, keep Stitch under control.