PDA

View Full Version : Calif. jury finds for Disney in whiplash suit - Reuters, 3/1/04

Darkbeer
03-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Calif. jury finds for Disney in whiplash suit (http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040301/media_disney_parks_1.html) - Reuters, 3/1/04

QuikQuote: The Orange County Superior Court jury in Santa Ana deliberated for just over two hours before voting unanimously to deny the claim of David Heber, who filed the suit in June 2002 following injuries he said he sustained in August 2001 on the California Screamin' ride.
Heber, of Milwaukee, said improper maintenance of the seat harnesses led him to be violently jolted by the ride, leaving him with a neurological condition that forced him to give up his career. He sought up to $10 million in damages.

adriennek
03-01-2004, 05:54 PM
The fact that Disney let it go to trial leads me to believe that there's more to this story than is being revealed in the article. Disney settles if it can't win a trial. They must've had a really good case to let it go to trial and I'm kinda glad to see Disney win this one because I think our society is too sue-happy.

Adrienne

blusilva
03-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
The fact that Disney let it go to trial leads me to believe that there's more to this story than is being revealed in the article.

I really should read the actual link to the story before I start spouting off. :)

The guy didn't bother to report his alleged injury until eleven full months afterwards. He didn't have a case. And he filed it only after the Big Thunder accident.

I said it in November, and I'll say it again. Total scam. I can't believe it took a whole two hours for the jury to deliberate it. Maybe they just didn't want to go back to work or get assigned to another case or something.

Pirate Girl
03-02-2004, 12:31 PM
I can't believe he tried to link his "injury" to what happened with Big Thunder Mountain. What a cheap shot. I'm glad (not surprised, but glad) he didn't win.

Cancer Norm
03-02-2004, 02:09 PM
I think that is great. Another blow to people looking for an easy payday and their bottom dwelling attorneys!

snappy
03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
This is what Disney should print on the back of their tickets.
(Or is it already there?)

For the use of Disneyland and California Adventure, holder assumes all risk of injury and releases Disney Corp. from all liability therefore.
User agress to abide by Your Responsibility Code, Ticket may be revoked without refund for MISCONDUCT, NUISANCE OR RECKLESS BEHAVIOR.

Pirate Girl
03-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by snappy
This is what Disney should print on the back of their tickets.
(Or is it already there?)

For the use of Disneyland and California Adventure, holder assumes all risk of injury and releases Disney Corp. from all liability therefore.
User agress to abide by Your Responsibility Code, Ticket may be revoked without refund for MISCONDUCT, NUISANCE OR RECKLESS BEHAVIOR.

It currently says: "Each guest assumes the inherent risk assosiated with the operation of all rides and atractions. REad and obay all safty signage and/or voice instruction."