PDA

View Full Version : May 10-17 DCA Vacation Planning Help

Lekta
02-28-2004, 07:57 PM
I have scoured the internet for the best deals. Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, et al. You name it, I bet I have been there. But not necessarily. Was hoping that there was some sleeper sights out there that could offer me a good package. I will be coming from Portland and, preferably driving there in a rental. However, my wife and I would like to be able to fly back, but the fee for only taking a rental one way is HUGE. Almost as much as the total to rent the car for the week in the first place. That is my gripe so far.

So for all purposes, i'm probably assuming that we are going to have to either drive both ways ($158.47 + gas & 17 hours each way), or take a flight round trip ($168.00 RT/person). I have also found some cheap hotels in the area (Days Inn $38/night 3.8 miles from DCA or Alamo Inn $43/night .5 miles from DCA). So, all in all, those are okay options.

My question is, what would be the best way to purchase the tickets to the park? I have heard of AAA discounts, Disney Club Membership (I've never seen any info on it), and also the internet specials on the tickets. Do you think it would be worth our while to look into the Disney Club Membership? Where would I look? Or the AAA discount? Is it worth more then $60 in savings? We are looking to visit DCA about 3 days, but with the 2 other days free we might go for them all.

Any advise on what shows to see during that week? I hear a new ride will be open in Disney Cali... anything else?

Thank you all,

Lekta

happyhaunts999
02-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Expedia is always the cheapest for most people plus priceline can be good as well.

DrIndianaJones
02-29-2004, 09:52 PM
"Anything else?"
Ummm, my birthday is on the 17th.:D;)

Try Expedia.com...also try flying into SNA or LNG instead of LAX. (SNA-Orange County Airport, LNG-Long Beach Airport)
That is the best time of year to go to DL, just after any Easter breaks, and just before Summer vacation.

sediment
03-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Make sure to check out Disneyland, too.

Buy Deluxe APs. $165 each. That will be the cheapest during that time. Saturday is blocked out. Do somewhere else on that day.

Then, you can come back later in the year, for free (admission only, of course).

julia
03-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi,

You might also try a package with your airfare, hotel and Disneyland tickets all combined with one total price. Those rates that you mentioned don't include the taxes and fees for the tickets, the hotel rooms etc. The airfare is usually at discounted rates, the hotel rates are less than the regular rates and you also a nice discount on your park passes. The packages also include some fun FREE goodies, too, that don't cost anything in addition to your basic components.

Alaska Airlines will have non-stop flights from Portland and the prices on airfare into Los Angeles or Orange County are usually within $5-$10 of each other, but Orange County is a lot closer to Disneyland than Los Angeles. Don't forget to factor in the time of sitting in traffic in Los Angeles, either.

Have a magical day!
Julia

stan4d_steph
03-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Disney discontinued the Disney Club, so that discount is no longer available.

Lekta
03-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Julia, which site are your suggestions concerning? Just wondering if you had one in mind that might include those disneyland tickets discounts. I have been able to find the package deals for hotel, car, plane on a few sites, haven't seen any tickets included though. Also, have not tried Orange Countys airport, good idea. I had always just assumed that LAX would be cheaper and easier because of its popularity. I will check it out.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Rangnar
03-02-2004, 02:20 PM
LAX may be cheaper (or not on any given flight), however SNA blows it away as far as easier goes.

The place seems nerely empty in comparison.
The terminal is quiet and rather relaxing for an airport.
It seems like half the distance away (I don't know the exact milage).
You don't have to get there several hours ahead of time.
And the best part - a private, mini-van cab ride is about $32 one way (may have changed slince last Oct.). You don't have to call ahead to reserve one and the guy will probably give you his business card for the return pick-up.
I stress over every detail and the Rangnar clan packs a lot of stuf - they pack it all into the van with a smile. When flying to Disneyland, we will never again go LAX - regardless of if SNA costs more.
It's just too easy in comparison to the rat-race at LAX