PDA

View Full Version : Vegas to Disneyland

hersheythecat
02-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Husband may be relocated to Vegas from NC and we are wondering what is the average drive time from Vegas to DL is?

millionairegirl
02-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Without traffic: 4 to 41/2 hours.

With traffic & including requisite stops at Baker, Barstow, and sometimes stateline: 7 hours! (Yes, it's taken me 7 hours before ):rolleyes:

It's a pretty easy drive. As long as you don't leave Vegas on a Sunday or right after a major holiday it shouldn't take you too long.

hersheythecat
02-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info. That is what I thought I had read on the page. I means an easy long weekend at DL from Vegas!

Kevy Baby
02-26-2004, 01:07 PM
You can do it in around 3 hours if you don't need to stop and don't mind fracturing a law or two. ;)

9oldmen
02-26-2004, 01:25 PM
You can do it in around 3 hours if you don't need to stop and don't mind fracturing a law or two.
...or rupturing your bladder.

sediment
02-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Easiest way would be The 15 South to The 91 West?

(Yeah, I'm a SoCal. I know how to designate freeways, using "The.")

tod
02-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by sediment
Easiest way would be The 15 South to The 91 West?

(Yeah, I'm a SoCal. I know how to designate freeways, using "The.")

I remember when the freeways had names.

I've made the Vegas-Burbank run in as little as three and a half hours, and as much as 18 in a truly dreadful New Year's Day run that started by taking an hour to get from the Stratosphere to Silvertown, passed through two full rest stops with no spaces to rest, past Baker where the off-ramp was backed up onto the freeway and the town was an unbroken line of cars all the way through, and a sleepover in Barstow where we were unconscious a minute after hitting the pillow.

A recommendation: Never drive that route on New Year's Day.

--T

Cancer Norm
02-26-2004, 02:26 PM
:D Another Way. McCarren Airport to John Wayne Airport....
405 freeway to the 91 to the 5, exit Harbor Blvd. :fez: (much less travel time..hehe...)

Kevy Baby
02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Actual route would depend on traffic. For my money, I usually AVOID the 91 out of (or into) Corona.

15 South of course to the 210, 10, or 60 West to the 57 South to Ball Road would be my suggestion.

Best bet is to listen to the two LA news stations (KNX 1070 and KFWB 980) for traffic reports. (If you ride with me, I can keep pretty much a constant flow of traffic reports on the radio - I listen to 'em even when I don't need them. It's like an addiction and it drives GusGus nuts.)

405 freeway to the 91 to the 5, exit Harbor Blvd. (much less travel time..hehe...) The 405 and 91 never meet (they get close, but WAY out of the way [Gardena]).

The actual route would be 55 North (well, technically you would start on the 405 North, but I think the new construction will give you an option to get straight on the 55 North) to the 5 North. There's even a car-pool transition from the 55N to the 5N.

(Sorry, I have just WAY too much information about the LA/OC freeway system!)

Morrigoon
02-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Made this drive more times than I can count. You take the I-15 south to the 91 west to the 5 south.

I'm a slow-ish driver. It takes me 4 1/2 hours in typical conditions (note that I tend to make this drive during favorable hours, it can be up to 7 if traffic is truly horrendous and you leave during rush hour, but it's very easy to avoid by leaving at the right times)

Nice thing is, when you live in Vegas, you're going against the traffic for a weekender (most traffic is LA to Vegas on Friday night, Vegas to LA on Sunday day)

You'll love living in Vegas.

CraigMBA
02-26-2004, 05:29 PM
I would tend to avoid the 91 freeway like a case of prostate cancer.

From Vegas, I would drive 15 to the 10 or 60 to the 57 south to Katella or Ball. I almost always exit Ball and park in the structure.

Morrigoon
02-26-2004, 08:39 PM
The 10??? Only when forced to by Spanish clergy with branding irons....

The 91 toward DL is against traffic and very easy.

DivaPrincess
02-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
The 10??? Only when forced to by Spanish clergy with branding irons....

The 91 toward DL is against traffic and very easy.

Really? We always hit delays driving to DL on the 91. Anytime of day.

I'm right here in rainy - yes, you heard it, rainy Las Vegas and I welcome you if you come. The drive to DL is a peach! Not the most to look at, but I enjoy the time to converse with my hubby. In fact, I'll be making the trip next Wed for my 5th anniversary! Can't wait!

adriennek
02-27-2004, 06:51 AM
The westbound 91 west of the 15 is usually pretty free flowing after 9 or 10 am on weekdays.

The eastbound 91 freeway from about 2:00 pm to 6 or 7 pm from the 57 freeway to Corona (and then beyond) is pretty much a parking lot. Fast Track, it's a good thing.

On the weekends, westbound from 15 to Green River *can* be ugly any time of day, (but mostly after noon,) and eastbound from the 55 through the 15 can be, too.

Yes it can definitely have its moments, but it's not *always* horrible. :D And I have found the 10 and 60 to be kinda messy and unpredictable, too. I usually just listen to AM 980 and 1170 (did I get the second one right?) for traffic updates to help me decide which to use when I have to.

Adrienne

Kevy Baby
02-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
Yes it can definitely have its moments, but it's not *always* horrible. :D And I have found the 10 and 60 to be kinda messy and unpredictable, too. I usually just listen to AM 980 and 1170 (did I get the second one right?) for traffic updates to help me decide which to use when I have to. I have generally found the 10 to be much more open since they finished the 210 and the construction on the 10 - everybody is avoiding it right now.

And the station is KNX 1070 (see my post above about traffic report obsession :) )

Cancer Norm
02-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Kevy Baby wrote:

The 405 and 91 never meet (they get close, but WAY out of the way [Gardena]).

The actual route would be 55 North (well, technically you would start on the 405 North, but I think the new construction will give you an option to get straight on the 55 North) to the 5 North. There's even a car-pool transition from the 55N to the 5N.

your right, my bad.......405-55-5-Harbor.

....Yes, the 91 is horrible!.....I have to drive it every day, but @ 4:00 AM so it isn't so bad!
:D

Hamradio
02-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Interstate 15 westbound between LV and SoCal really loads up on Sundays as the Los Angeles tourists return home after partying in NV. Adding to the misery is a massive freeway construction project on the California side that will be ongoing for the next 6 to 8 years, with the effect of slowing down traffic and putting cars uncomfortably close to big trucks. One bad fatality accident and the road could be closed for hours. If driving, try to do it during the week, it's much easier.

As an option, there are a ton of flights from LV to SoCal. Look at Southwest Airlines and other offerings, especially into Orange County/John Wayne.

EhhMon
02-28-2004, 01:21 AM
When I visit my parents in Barstow, CA I usually will take a trip to either Vegas or LA. Vegas is a 1hr and 1/2 drive from Barstow. To LA its an hour. Both via the 15. I haven't been on it since they expanded the 15, but I'm sure its much more quicker now.

I think 3 hour drive from Vegas to LA is a good estimate.

adriennek
02-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by EhhMon
To LA its an hour. Both via the 15. I haven't been on it since they expanded the 15, but I'm sure its much more quicker now.

They haven't finished working on the 15 yet. A few weekends ago there was an accident on the Northbound 15 that completely closed the two northbound lanes- everyone had to get off the freeway at the Barstow Outlets offramp- I think that was a Friday night, too :eek:

But an hour to LA? Do the cops/Highway Patrol know about this? ;)

Adrienne

spectromen
03-03-2004, 07:45 AM
"Made this drive more times than I can count. You take the I-15 south to the 91 west to the 5 south."

Umm....that would be passing DL...or coming back around the long way...sounds more like a route to Knott's (and even then the 5's not needed)

adriennek
03-03-2004, 08:14 AM
I think Morrigoon meant the 57 south, not the 5 south.

Skipped the 7 ;)

Adrienne

jrad32
03-03-2004, 09:19 AM
15 to the 60 or 10 to the 57 to Ball Road. Better than the 91 to the 5 in my opinion:p

BillyHillandRSBFan
03-03-2004, 04:52 PM
I am from Vegas and have made the trip to Disneyland a dozen times over the last eight months (my daughter has had doctors appointments in SoCal every two to three weeks during that time and I can get a nice hotel room in anaheim for circa $40 a night, not to mention we have APs) and I vote for the I15 to the 91 to the 57 to Katella. The 91 was slow on two occasions but the car pool lane and FastTrack took care of that. Since I usually am arriving in the afternoon when traffic is headed east while I am headed west I have had good luck.