PDA

View Full Version : New Projection System In Space Mountain!

Disneyfreak
02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
What do you guys think they could do if they implemented the same projection system in Space Mountain as the castle?

Morrigoon
02-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Pretty sweet if they do - hope they keep the space cookie though.

sediment
02-25-2004, 12:41 PM
I think it would be too bright inside, ruining the whole effect of speeding throught space --- at 28 miles per hour tops.

A black hole swallowing a star would be pretty cool. Maybe some black screens along the track to make the effects more 3-D, instead of just being on the walls.

Kevy Baby
02-25-2004, 01:03 PM
Oohhh...

Think of all the advertising they could do!

Loric
02-25-2004, 01:16 PM
You know...

You just reminded me of all the babble a few months back about a Spaceship Earth re-do with "screen technology."

Along those lines, they have already once updated the projection technology in Spaceship Earth to move from the really-bright and sometimes ineffective "Earth Rise" to the current generic high resolution image of the Earth from anyplace in the solar system. All references to being on the moon and the space station were removed :crying: (I love the astronauts floating around the dome in the prior version).

So yes, in short, that could be a fairly cool update. They would probably stick with the current technique for the starfield like they did for Spaceship Earth though and update the other visuals. Did DL's version have the swirling galaxies and such like WDWs?

cryan71
02-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
Oohhh...

Think of all the advertising they could do!

You know they read these boards! Stop giving them bad ideas!!!

Tigertail777
02-25-2004, 02:46 PM
I love this idea I can think of tons of great stuff to do with it...

have scrims along the track, at one point project a comet racing alongside you (you could probably project from the backside onto the scrim to save on room)

Have a HUGE scrim with a big hole in the center of it, the track of the ride goes through the hole, project onto this scrim a spiralling black hole so it looks like you are swallowed right into a black hole. Then after you enter the black hole scrim, have a short tunnel of scrim with has all kinds of swirling star like lights turning in a vortex (scrim projection again) around the ride track.

In a downward dip of the track, have a scrim right in front of the dip and project a old sattelite slowly drifting from the side to the point above the track, so until you go down the dip it looks like you are going to hit the sattelite.

An Asteroid field floating around the track would be neat too.

Ahhh the mind reels with the possibilities LOL:D

Loric
02-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Imagine the E-stop.

The entire place becomes a giant blue-screen of death.

Disneyfreak
02-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Loric
Imagine the E-stop.

The entire place becomes a giant blue-screen of death.

LOL I think that would be cool!:) Also it doesn't really matter because the way it was before was just as bad as what you were describing when the ride E-stopped.

Kevy Baby
02-25-2004, 03:06 PM
But with all the new technology they are installing, there shouldn't be a need to e-stop :rolleyes:

(not holding my breath...)

Ace
02-25-2004, 03:06 PM
hopefully they'll add a thumping techno soundtrack and a bunch of strobe lights and change the name to rave mountain and be done with it

sediment
02-25-2004, 03:23 PM
They's have that only for the after-hours parties.

Ghoulish Delight
02-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
But with all the new technology they are installing, there shouldn't be a need to e-stop :rolleyes:
Quick side-track, falacy correction. Occasional e-stops are standard and expected for even the newest, most well designed and maintained attraction. There are thousands of things that all need to go right every time the ride runs. I for one am very glad that there is a system to shut things down if something isn't checking our properly.

Okay, back to drooling over this amazing technology. It's looking like it is going to be breathtaking. I can't wait!

Disneyfreak
02-27-2004, 05:29 PM
What if they actually made the space cookie 3d and follows you like a hologram while your zooming along the track?

Bruce Bergman
02-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Don't worry about it being too bright - they can control the illumination of any projectors used for special effects, and make it just bright enough to work.

And I think a "Blue Screen of Death" effect actually would be a good thing - bring up the white work lights to 25% or so (not enough to blind people acclimated to the dark) and drop all the effects lighting, so that those in the know (or those with mild handicaps) can be facing forward and sitting straight, and brace a bit, because now you have a few seconds warning that an E-stop has been triggered...

As soon as you hit a block brake zone (with a red light or a stock red "STOP hand" pictogram sign stolen from a crosswalk showing where they are) you are going to be stopping - and fast. E-stops aren't always gentle...

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

MickeyLumbo
02-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
Have a HUGE scrim with a big hole in the center of it, the track of the ride goes through the hole, project onto this scrim a spiralling black hole so it looks like you are swallowed right into a black hole. Then after you enter the black hole scrim, have a short tunnel of scrim with has all kinds of swirling star like lights turning in a vortex (scrim projection again) around the ride track.

and then, change the name to YammyMountain:p

Disneyfreak
02-29-2004, 12:17 AM
That idea would probably work and be the easiest way of making a projection in 3d.