PDA

View Full Version : Need More Trip Ideas

Marty
02-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I took the kids to the Medieval Times dinner show in Toronto last year and they had a grand time. We are doing a DL pilgrimage in a few weeks and I was wondering whether there existed any attractions of this type around Disneyland. I know that Medieval Times has a franchise location close to Knotts, but I don’t really want to do this again. I've made plans for a character breakfast and have enough time to do everything we want to at the parks themselves. But we have a few flex days (and a few free evenings) and am looking for some more family friendly excursions.

Overpriced dinner shows would be great, but I guess I’m interested in any idea that removes large chunks of cash from wallet in return for the transitory adoration of pre-teen girls already overdosing on Disney magic.

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 01:22 PM
You could try a trip to Build a Bear at Downtown Disney - plenty of money to be spent there (and it looks like fun:) )

How about a day trip down to San Diego, to either the Zoo or Sea World? We did this a couple of trips ago, and really enjoyed it. We went on a coach (pre-booked) and did the Zoo - it was a really nice day. It does take all day though - you leave early(ish) in the morning, and don't get back until about 7 or 8pm (from memory).

Darren
02-23-2004, 02:10 PM
YOu could try a trip up to Hollywood for a tv show taping. I know there arewebsites for dates and times. Sorry i don't know them but you might try the network websites.

Also if shopping is their thing the Block at Orange is fun too.

We have enjoyed side trips to Tijuana for some shopping and whatever as well.

EandCDad
02-23-2004, 02:38 PM
If your pre-teens have any interest in Legos, I'd recommend Legoland which is about an hour and fifteen minutes south of Disneyland (with no traffic). Lots of hands on stuff, cool rides, good atmosphere.

IndianaJenn
02-23-2004, 02:44 PM
In Long Beach you can tour the Queen Mary and visit the Aquarium of the Pacific.

There is Knotts in Buena Park. They are kind of cheesy but also in Buena Park is the Movieland Wax Museum and Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum.

If you are looking for shopping, SouthCoast Plaza in Costa Mesa is my favorite but there is also Fashion Island in Newport. It's outdoors and great for people watching. There is also a Hard Rock Cafe there.

Lani
02-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Darren
YOu could try a trip up to Hollywood for a tv show taping. I know there arewebsites for dates and times. Sorry i don't know them but you might try the network websites. Most TV shows do not allow minors to attend these taping, so Marty would not be able to take the kids.

Do they want to visit Universal Studios? How about a Disney movie at El Capitan, then a visit across the street to look at Mann's Chinese Theater? They can find names of people they recognize on the walk of fame, and the hand/foot prints at the theater. They can then go home and tell their friends they went to Hollywood!

Klutch
02-23-2004, 04:40 PM
FYI,

If you are renting a car you will most likely NOT be permitted to take it into Mexico. :(

There are just so many things to do in the SoCal area. I couldn't convince my teenage daughter to go to the Petersen Auto Museum in LA, so it's unlikely you'll be able to convince your girls. :D

Knotts is quite charming, in my opinion. I've heard they sometimes have trouble with roughians, but that would likely be on Fri and Sat nights.

If you're willing to go to San Diego, I hear the Wild Animal Park is great. I'ts also actually North of San Diego and thus closer to Disneyland than the zoo.

Oh, and don't forget the Lawrence Welk museum! :D

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 04:53 PM
If they are into shopping, Fashion Island would be cool (I think it has a Cheesecake Factory too:D )

scatmo
02-23-2004, 05:41 PM
My girls (then 8 and 9) loved Universal Studios and Hollywood last year. We did a bus tour which started with Hollywood and the Chinese Theater and finished at USH. They didn't recognize a lot of the names to go with the handprints, but once I was able to say...That's Sean Connery...he played James Bond...or That's Arnold...He was the Terminator...they started getting into it.

Hamradio
02-24-2004, 03:01 AM
Consider hopping on Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner train for a day trip to San Diego on the rails. There are station stops in Fullerton and Anaheim. The trains run all day.

Demigod121
02-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by CarlieB
If they are into shopping, Fashion Island would be cool (I think it has a Cheesecake Factory too:D )

PF Chang's there is better. :D
(I proposed to my wife at that restaurant! :) )

-Demigod

tjrj
02-24-2004, 08:13 AM
In the "over-priced Dinner shows arena"-have you thought about Wild Bill's Wild West Show? It's right down Harbor Blvd in Buena Park-I think. It's been several years since we've gone but my boys(7 and 13 at the time) loved it. I actually thought the food was better than the several Med. Times shows we've been to.

Prices were similar to Med Times-around $30 for adults- but both times we've been we were able to get discount tickets. One time the discount was in the southern CA fun book in our package and the other time the discount was in those "what to do" booklets that are available at hotels and such.

I'll do a search and try to find an exact address for you.

THE REF
02-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by tjrj
In the "over-priced Dinner shows arena"-have you thought about Wild Bill's Wild West Show? It's right down Harbor Blvd in Buena Park-I think. It's been several years since we've gone but my boys(7 and 13 at the time) loved it. I actually thought the food was better than the several Med. Times shows we've been to.

Prices were similar to Med Times-around $30 for adults- but both times we've been we were able to get discount tickets. One time the discount was in the southern CA fun book in our package and the other time the discount was in those "what to do" booklets that are available at hotels and such.

I'll do a search and try to find an exact address for you.

Exactly what does the entertainment consist of at Wild Bills and is it a menu type of meal or what?

IndianaJenn
02-24-2004, 09:21 AM
I drove by Wild Bills a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it might be closed. I would double check on that.

tjrj
02-24-2004, 11:48 AM
I typed in "Wild Bill's Wild West Dinner Show" in my search engine and got the address and phone number. It's:

Wild Bill's Wild West Dinner Extravaganza
7600 Beach Blvd.
Buena Park CA 90620
1-800-883-1546

Listed prices were $42.95 for adults and $27 for children(12 and under)

Obviously, it'd be wise to check out Jenn's information prior to any planning.

Entertainment was western in theme-kind of like a larger in scope Golden Horseshoe Review at DL thing. Sing alongs, rope tricks, skits, dance numbers. Totally family oriented, G-rated stuff.

Food was: fried chicken, salad, cornbread, ribs, corn on the cob, dessert, pitchers of soda, beer, punch were included. Other drinks could be purchased.

Seating was first come, first served. Second time we were in the middle and the first time we were right next to the stage. Oldest son got up on stage and was part of the show. Ham that he is, he loved it.

Marty
02-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks a lot. When I put out the request for some good trip ideas I thought at least a few of you would do what I really wanted. Which was to validate my own thoughts on what constitutes a fun-filled trip to Southern California. I figured that at least some of you would put down the kind of stuff I like, which I could then turn around and use as objective ammunition against my wife’s tyrannical proclamations about the need to deliver “family friendly” entertainment to our girls. Oh sure, I had every intention of taking the girls to Disneyland. But just look at the other days I had planned out:

“Don’t tell Mom, but we’re all going to Vegas” day
“Shut up out there, can’t you see Dad is trying to sleep one off” day
“Let’s put our Park Hopper Passes down on Sleeping Beauty to place in the fifth at Santa Anita” day

But you spoiled it alright. Without any kind of backing on this board I’m doomed to take the train down San Diego to see some baby pandas. Please shoot me now.

Oh, and thanks a lot for all the shopping suggestions. As you can imagine, being the only male in a household of females I almost never get the chance to go to the mall. Maybe those that put this idea forward wouldn’t mind giving me their home address so I can thank them in person.

Seriously, thanks for all the input. We certainly have a few more ideas. Personally I’m quite excited about going to the Lawrence Welk museum.

BTW: I took a look online for Wild Bill's Wild West Dinner Extravaganza and it looks like the place is currently closed down. Too bad, it looked like just the kind thing I would waste my money on.

CarlieB
02-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Oh, and thanks a lot for all the shopping suggestions. As you can imagine, being the only male in a household of females I almost never get the chance to go to the mall. Maybe those that put this idea forward wouldn’t mind giving me their home address so I can thank them in person.

LOL at this one...:D

You can, however, add a cunning plan: drop them at the mall, say you'll meet them in however many hours, then find a nice bar/restaurant and have a couple of beers while you wait:~D

tjrj
02-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB

You can, however, add a cunning plan: drop them at the mall, say you'll meet them in however many hours, then find a nice bar/restaurant and have a couple of beers while you wait:~D

CarlieB, you clever girl! That's EXACTLY my husband's plan when we shop:D . And Marty-I have sons that love to shop almost as much as me, so having only boys doesn't necessarily keep one "mall free":D .

EandCDad
02-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Marty
But you spoiled it alright. Without any kind of backing on this board I’m doomed to take the train down San Diego to see some baby pandas. Please shoot me now.

I wouldn't think of shooting you until you walk up and down all those big, big, big hills in the blazing hot noon-day sun. Don't forget to see the Polar Bears that are wayyyyy on the other side of the Zoo.

Btw, you could convienently forget to tell your family that the train goes nowhere near the Zoo. Practice this (it should be delivered with a sorta half dazed half annoyed look)

"I was sure the Zoo was right around here, maybe it's behind that strip bar, I'll go check it out, you wait here, I'll be back, eventually."

Seriously, I'm sure your wife, being the obvious brains in your outfit, has arranged transportation from the train to the Zoo, but if not, you need to check into getting a cab or rental car or something. I mean, it's not a million miles away or anything, but it's not walking distance.

Be sure to have some red peppers on your pizza, all the best people do.

Marty
02-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Btw, you could conveniently forget to tell your family that the train goes nowhere near the Zoo. Practice this (it should be delivered with a sorta half dazed half annoyed look)

"I was sure the Zoo was right around here, maybe it's behind that strip bar, I'll go check it out, you wait here, I'll be back, eventually."

Hmmm, good idea. Except for one thing. That being my wife’s uncanny ability to sense whenever I get within 100 yards of a strip club.

You know, there’s really nothing wrong with a little adult entertainment now and then. I think the trick is to refrain from using your joint credit card when buying rounds of champagne for Amber, Porsche and Roxanne.