PDA

View Full Version : Discontinue the Annual Passport

Pages : [1] 2 3

nixsys
10-11-2001, 01:56 PM
My dearest Cynthia --

You, as much as any, are aware of the major problems
at our beloved park. Decay. Security. Facilities. But the
one glaring issue that should be addressed is crowding.
How much fun can a 12-year old have standing in lines
for hours on end? One very simple way to help alleviate
this situation: discontinue the Annual Passport. (Yes, I
can hear the A.D.D.er’s & planeteers howls of protest
amidst screams of ‘blasphemy’) Let’s look at this logically:
the $89 Annual Passholders who come to the park twice
a week are the same ‘type’ of people who would otherwise
pay the $86 to come to the park twice a year. This would
not impact your bottom line as many might want you to
believe; do APer’s buy the plushie dolls and souvenirs?
Do they dine in your expensive restaurants? I think not.
Jeez - there are those who frequent the park so often they
post internet sites rating the restrooms. Cindy, banish the
‘p*******s’ - they merely clog the turnstiles.

With warmest regards,
- Nixsys

80S ERA
10-11-2001, 02:01 PM
I agree!!

Death to AP holders!!! You're right - They never dine and buy stuff anyway!!

Wait a minute.... I'm an AP holder and I always shop and eat at least 1 meal everytime I visit? I must be an exception!:D

Here's a grand idea to the line waiting: FAST PASS

Cadaverous Pallor
10-11-2001, 02:01 PM
Uh-oh.

Nixsys, did you come here to pick a fight? It looks like you did. We don't want this kind of negativity. A lot of us are APers (myself included) and I really don't want to get involved in this.

I will say, though, that APers do tend to be collectors and money spenders at the park. I know some that go there only to eat an expensive dinner then leave.

Flubber
10-11-2001, 02:05 PM
Welcome back ACDC.

Flub

EandCDad
10-11-2001, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Flubber
Welcome back ACDC.

Flub

I had a different guess on who this was, but I'll keep it to myself.

No comment on the subject as the flaws in logic and incorrect assumptions used are likely glaringly evident to all.

Darkbeer
10-11-2001, 02:11 PM
If Disney really wants to make money, make the AP's NOT valid on the days of limited pin releases..... :D

Andrew
10-11-2001, 02:22 PM
Does it bother anyone else that the current president of Disneyland is commonly referred to online by her first name or diminutive forms of her first name (Cynthia, Cindy)? This seems to be related to the fact that she is female. The (male) CEO of the Walt Disney Company is commonly referred to by his surname (Eisner). No one calls him Mikey.

This has bugged me since her promotion was announced several years ago.

Lani
10-11-2001, 02:58 PM
Speak for yourself, nixsys. I am not an $89 AP holder but a $299 two-park premium AP holder.

I buy $70 Mickey aloha shirts and spend $50 on dinner at Storytellers (which is what I did this past Sunday).

Lani
10-11-2001, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
This has bugged me since her promotion was announced several years ago. Hey, at least here in America an able woman like Ms. Harriss is allowed to wear business suits and work outside the home. The same cannot be said in Afghanisan! :p

MickeyD
10-11-2001, 03:00 PM
Gee Nixsys -Put some info in your profile so we can get to know you better. Or did you not put anything in your profile because we already know all about you.

mspangler
10-11-2001, 03:44 PM
Wow, guess I'm another "exception" too.

I go 2-3 times a year, which is not often, but considering I live about 450 miles away, I'm glad I get to go that often.

I am not just an AP holder, I have a Premium 2 Park AP.

And I spend money at the shops and restaurants, probably more than I should...:D

coronamouseman
10-11-2001, 04:27 PM
Disney loves APs and wishes they had more - here's why:

1. APs pay for a year in advance - they pay the equivalent of
anywhere from 2-5 days single park admissions ALL UP FRONT.
Regular visitors pay only when they show up, so all revenue generated in that manner is after the fact. Money paid in advance can be invested, used to avoid having to get expensive loans and can be used to make bulk purchases at a lower cost than if you had to pay for items as you collect revenues.
2. Many APs don't use their passes enough to break even against purchasing separate admissions - these folks are simply donating money to Disney
3. Most all APs spend money on something inside the park - food for sure and occasionally merchandise. You can be that the profit margins on food and merchandise are hugh so any upside in these areas from APs is gravy to Disney
4. Since many APs have restricted usage passes, APs simply are not there on days with higer attendance so they simply aren't part of any attraction wait problems
5. APs may actually be doing regular customers a service by supplementing attendance on weekdays which (1) allows certain high-capacity attractions to open earlier (example: BTM opens later in the day because otherwise empty trains would be running - if APs are there then more riders means an earlier start)
(2) may force Disney to keep maintenance closures down to a minimum (before APs, Matterhorn used to go down at the end of Summer until Christmas - now it is only close through October)
6. APs also have a way of keeping an eye on attractions - while the day visitor might not notice Space Mountain's soundtrack is not working (and thus be denied a better ride), rest assured that most APs would find the nearest cast member and ask "how come the soundtrack on Space Mountain is still down? - I was here last month and it wasn't working then ....." Trust me, if enough complaints come in Disney will do something about them.

So rest assured that APs are loved by Disney and day visitors should understand the helpful role that such a concerned and dedicated customer base provides for all Disney guests.

tabacco
10-11-2001, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Does it bother anyone else that the current president of Disneyland is commonly referred to online by her first name or diminutive forms of her first name (Cynthia, Cindy)? This seems to be related to the fact that she is female. The (male) CEO of the Walt Disney Company is commonly referred to by his surname (Eisner). No one calls him Mikey.

This has bugged me since her promotion was announced several years ago.

On the occasion where I got the opportunity to talk to her, I addressed her as "Cynthia". She's technically a castmember, and as long as she's wearing a nametag that says "Cynthia," that's what I'll call her. Dunno what I'd call M.E. if I met him in person, but I think I'd avoid letting that happen in person :)

Btw... Irby was also therw when I met Cynthia. I couldn't bring myself to call him what was on his nametag, though ("T"). Addressing someone by a single letter just sounds funny :)

pixiepal
10-11-2001, 04:34 PM
I, too, am a Premium 2-Park Passholder. I go about 4-5 times per year. I am there for usually 2-3 days. I eat every meal at the Park (including dinner at the Blue Bayou EVERYTIME, where I drop 25-30 bucks on myself alone). I eat lots of the goodies available there: churros,popcorn, corndogs, Bengal BBQ skewers (mmmmm...sweet zulu...), caramel apples...I must stop before I drool on myself. Anyway, I spend A LOT of money on food, since I usually eat my way across the park.
I am also a Tinker Bell addict....and since Disney is on to me and keeps pumping out the Tink stuff I end up spending AT LEAST 100 bucks each trip on, as my friend--a fellow Tink freak--likes to call it: "worthless, plastic crap". And we love every minute of it!
So, I think you may be wrong about the passholders...at least THIS passholder.

I think I should just start writing my paychecks over to Disney.:p

cstephens
10-11-2001, 04:54 PM
Why would Disney get rid of a program that generates significant money? If the AP program wasn't cost-effective for them, they wouldn't have it or promote it so much.

Gandalf
10-11-2001, 05:15 PM
Annual Passholder family here also. We just visited last weekend and bought Nightmare merchandise (1 scroll, 2 Sandy Claws hats, 1 purple witch hat, 3 t-shirts and 2 weird, stuffed NBC creatures). We ate at Blue Bayou and then over at Hollywood and Dine. We always swear the next time we visit we'll keep the spending to a minimum, but we end up spending anyway. Disney must have some kind of invisible waves that key on our minds to empty our wallets. Especially on and around the Main Street shops.

Gauchograd99
10-11-2001, 06:06 PM
I get the feeling that we all know who started this thing, but I will humor the person (used loosely if it is who we think it is).
As an AP since this summer I have been to the park about 10 times. In those 10 times I have eaten at the Bayou with my girlfriend 8 times, the French Market about 10 times, and assorted other meals throughout the time. If you figure that each visit to the Bayou is $40.00 after a discount (it becomes the tip so I should include it) and the French Market is $22.00 after discount the park is making PLENTY from us.
We make sure that I ride a select few rides each time we visit, and usually only Space Mountain is on the list every time, and that is due to going when lines are down on it (opening or during meals).
Something our "friend" has forgotten is that each and every one of us travels down Downtown Disney and adds to DAYLIGHT business seeing as nightlife is the expected time of large imports of locals for dinner.
Just my $0.02, but I would have to agree that AP's are good for business everywhere in the Resort (still hurts to call it that, how about a rename to Disney's Local Locale?), and that our "friend" is rather off the mark.

Maleficent0
10-11-2001, 08:27 PM
This was clearly a troll posting. And what's annoying is that everyone is validating his/her trollness by responding. Heck, nixsys only has this one post on the account.

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R.

merlinjones
10-11-2001, 08:31 PM
>>Does it bother anyone else that the current president of Disneyland is commonly referred to online by her first name or diminutive forms of her first name (Cynthia, Cindy)? This seems to be related to the fact that she is female. The (male)
CEO of the Walt Disney Company is commonly referred to by his surname (Eisner). No one calls him Mikey.<<

In Disney Corporate culture the proper and encouraged form of address is always by first name. That fact that she is referred to as Cynthia is a sign of some respect. Calling Micheal by "Eisner" is far less respectful and impersonal by Disney terms (let alone Mikey, The Big Cheese, ME, Misner, Liesner, Unca Scrooge and The Anti-Walt, all which have been seen on the internet at various times over the years). I think Cynthia's got the good end of the bargain!

Nigel2
10-11-2001, 09:39 PM
Anyone want to harbor a guess of how much the average AP spends in a year (pass, merchandise, food,...) compared to the non pass holder? I have acess to a 33 club membership (which I use alot) but I also have an AP since I might not want eat there due to time limitations. Anyone else here know a 33 club memeber that does this? Its just so I don't feel as wierd.

awinner
10-11-2001, 11:07 PM
I have had my 2 park prem. AP since July, and have spent a fortune on top of that:

Dog in Kennel:$10
Pins:$$$
Food:$$$$$$$$$$
Gifts:$$

And I enjoy spending every bit of it.

Morrigoon
10-11-2001, 11:40 PM
If I recall correctly, don't you have to be at least 13 years old to even use mousepad? ;)

In the last year, I have tightened my belt a bit due to being completely broke. Yet on my most recent trip, I ate at River Belle, and Rainforest Cafe, as well as buying $10 worth of fudge (including 3 chunks of the yummy pumpkin!). This was on a mere 2-day trip, where my flights in and out were on the days of my visit. Not too darn bad, and I would have eaten more had I had the time.

This was probably my cheapest trip since I moved away from socal. And in those days I still spent more per week than I did on this 2 day trip.

I am the owner of 4, yes *4* monorails (all red, but when I have $ to spare again I intend to acquire blue with the bridge and the WDW black), the CA Screamin' 8 foot long coaster, more pins than I care to admit to (though less than many folks).

I have attended 2 merchandise events, and will attend more (again, when I have some $... I'm *really* broke right now!)

I spend plenty. Thank you.

DisneylandKid
10-12-2001, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by 80S ERA
Here's a grand idea to the line waiting: FAST PASS

No Annual Passes? HA!

steamboatStu
10-12-2001, 06:19 AM
Let's see here, if they discontinue APs, I wouldn't be able to get passes for my two daughters. This would lead to me discontinuing my Club 33 membership. That's $2,800 per year for the Club 33 plus the $398 for the two deluxe APs. Now in addition to the churros and assorted sodas, there's the times I dine at the club where I've dropped $250 for a dinner and $350 for the buffet the last two times I was there.

This isn't looking like a very good idea... at least where I'm concerned.

As for Cynthia, or Michael I can pass on this story. On the now defunct Go DIS investor board a castmember described a chance meeting with Michael in the courtyard at the studios. He addressed him as Mr. Eisner and was told everyone should address him as Michael. Guess it's a Disney thing.

Thomas
10-12-2001, 07:28 AM
I am not up on the inside joke of knowing who probably started this thread although it says only 1 post so I assume it is someone who made up a screen name (account).

The only thing I will agree with is they do need to get rid of the cheaper passes and just stick with the 1 park or 2 park premium pass. This was they way it was before and it should still be. And before someone says otherwise, remember what a lot of you gripe about---that's the way Walt would have wanted it---why did they change that, Walt wouldn't have done that---etc, etc.

Just my opinion. I enjoyed when there was only the one pass. It kind of made me feel special that not everyone could get this pass.