PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions from a brand new CM...

JenGood008
02-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi guys!

I was hired at the job fair last week after waiting my whole life to be a CM. I haven't turned in all of the forms yet, but have made an appointment to do so in a couple of weeks. I have read through the stuff in the packet about twenty times, but I have some questions that I'm hoping some of you lovely current or former CMs can answer for my anxious self :) My orientation is still almost a month away and I'm bouncing off the walls!

1. When exactly do you get your ID card? Is this what will allow me to register for the portal? Can I do this as soon as I get my card? For some reason I am just so very excited to see this...Also, is this when you are able to go to Company D?

2. Unfortunately, the only position open was for a CT, which I really don't have a problem with, but I do have one question. Do the CT's get to do attraction previews? (*cough*TOT*cough)

3. And, last of all, when do you get that all important name tag? I have heard it is during orientation...is this true?

Sorry if I seem like I'm spazzing out a little over this - I'm just a little excited! Thanks so much for all of your help :)

Durliin
02-22-2004, 08:39 PM
I dont know how they do it anymore when I hired in 6 years ago we went to orientation and then after orentation you got your Nametags (the cool Red ones with mickey on it back then) a shedual of your training and a paper that had all your information on it that either on your time or your first shift you went through Harbor house(now harbor point) and went to the ID center to get your ID which was made in 5 minutes. and once you get your ID you will be able to go to Company D.. as for the Attraction preview yea CTs can do it just go to the team center when the tickets become avaible and have your ID and you will get your tickets hope this helps and Welcome to the Resort

Rustin
02-22-2004, 08:54 PM
All three happen on the same day - I got both my ID and nametag on the 2nd day of Disney University, and registered for the portal during lunch at a kiosk at the Inn Between (cast commisary). The picture for the ID was taken on the day I went in to finalize paperwork and such.

You will spend the first day of Disney "U" with a paper name tag, and you should get all the real stuff the next day.

Happy training!

marron-cream
02-22-2004, 08:56 PM
1. When exactly do you get your ID card? Is this what will allow me to register for the portal? Can I do this as soon as I get my card? For some reason I am just so very excited to see this...Also, is this when you are able to go to Company D?

You'll get your ID card on your first day of OJT (on the job training). That comes after orientation and whatever extra classes your department requires. To register the portal, you'd have to be in the main system and I'm not sure when that happens. You can email them (mailto:corp.gcsc.east-tomorrowland@disney.com) and ask. And you can go to Company D now... just take along the little sheet they give you that acts as your temporary ID-- the one with your department info, ssn, pay rate, seniority date, etc.

2. Unfortunately, the only position open was for a CT, which I really don't have a problem with, but I do have one question. Do the CT's get to do attraction previews? (*cough*TOT*cough)

Yes :)

3. And, last of all, when do you get that all important name tag? I have heard it is during orientation...is this true?

They used to give them to you during orientation, but lately the new hires I've seen during orientation are wearing stickers with their names on them. I think they give them to you during your OJT now.

I hope this helps! And congrats! What department did you get?

swtkissez
02-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Don't if its still this way, but like 3 years ago you got your ID when you checked in the first day of Disney U..

PhilMP
02-22-2004, 09:47 PM
As long as your name is in the computer system you should be able to register for the portal.

As for nametags, I got mine at the end of Resort Orientation, but that was back when we sat in the TDA auditorium all day and didn't take a tour or anything. They made it seem like it was your 'diploma' for making it through Orientation and your new status as a CM.

And I'm actually suprised that you got hired as a CT. They normally only give new hires CT status during peak seasons, since there's always shifts for CTs to be scheduled. I'm curious as to whether or not you get shifts on a regular basis, since you have no seniority.

Phil

Andrew
02-22-2004, 09:52 PM
I have no answers to your questions, JenGood, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your new job!

DCAWhites
02-22-2004, 09:55 PM
PhilMP, I went through orientation several months ago. We did the tour and all with the paper nametags, then at the end of the orientation we played "who wants to be a cast member", we all won, and the prize was our nametags and Id card, as well as the temporary parking permit. I'd imagine the ID card needs to be given to you during your orientation, either company or line of business, because you NEED it to park for your OJT. Hasn't changed much since you hired:)

Morrigoon
02-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Congrats!

Remember: do not be public about your participation in internet discussions... doesn't go over too hot w/mgmt. Not like they'd fire you or anything, but it's just not considered a good idea. Keep your work life and online life as separate as possible (nothing like having a fellow CM walk up to you and identify you by screen name, eh ThemeParkOne?)

Disney Nick
02-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Rustin
and registered for the portal during lunch at a kiosk at the Inn Between (cast commisary).

Every time I hear this name of think of a gay bar/club here in SF called the End Up.... Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

marron-cream
02-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by DCAWhites
I'd imagine the ID card needs to be given to you during your orientation, either company or line of business, because you NEED it to park for your OJT. Hasn't changed much since you hired:)

When I hired in, we were basically stuck with the hire sheet until our OJT. If we wanted to go on property or park in KCML we just showed our sheet. Of course those were before the days of *heightened* security. If you didn't have an employee ID, a photo ID would suffice, and you didn't need a manager to physically sign you in.

Loric
02-23-2004, 01:55 AM
About her being CT..

A "few weeks" for starting put her dead center of Spring Break and Easter peak.

Good luck! I started OJT for the Easter holiday in attractions. My first day training in rotation was Easter day - I went home crying.

If you start on a Holiday, know that's the worst of it!

Wizard69
02-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by JenGood008
Hi guys!

I was hired at the job fair last week after waiting my whole life to be a CM. I haven't turned in all of the forms yet, but have made an appointment to do so in a couple of weeks. I have read through the stuff in the packet about twenty times, but I have some questions that I'm hoping some of you lovely current or former CMs can answer for my anxious self :) My orientation is still almost a month away and I'm bouncing off the walls!

After orientation. You should try to register for the portal about a week after orientation. That is about how long it takes to get into the system. (They say it takes 2-3 days but give it a week).

Yes

You get your ID and nametags (2) after orientation.

Sorry if I seem like I'm spazzing out a little over this - I'm just a little excited! Thanks so much for all of your help :)

JenGood008
02-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all of your answers! I really appreciate it - I am just so dang excited :) I will be in stores, and, yes, I will probably start during Spring Break, but hopefully will not go home crying (at least I really hope not). I'm also planning on keeping my CM life very much seperate from, well, just about everything else (including online chit chat :) ).

Thanks again for all of your support and help! See you at the park soon :) :D :fez: