PDA

View Full Version : Innoventions

stitchhead
02-22-2004, 09:31 AM
As we all know, Innoventions has been in Tomorrowland since 1998, replacing the old America Sings and Carrousel of Progress. the first time i went inside, i was really impressed with some of the technology in there. but as the years passed, it seems that more corporate exhibits have moved in, and some of the interesting stuff has moved out. for instance, the GM "car of the future" on the second story. every time i went there the line was always jam packed with people, ever since the WEDWAY exhibit has moved in, i havent seen that many people in the line. the most i have ever seen in line for that is probably 12 people:eek: . anywho, the last time i went to Innoventions a week ago, most of the interactive stuff such as the health and body stuff, was replaced with PS2 consoles and games such as Monsters Inc. and The Haunted Mansion. so, has Innoventions time come? should it stay? or have a new attraction such as Alien Encounter;) or something move in?

Freerider127
02-22-2004, 02:28 PM
I think it should be replaced, its a huge space that really is not being used very well.

wenderella
02-22-2004, 06:42 PM
I have found that the majority of people don't even know what is in "that rotating building". But I do know one thing. My kids (8 and 5) love it! Whenever we feel like slowing down a bit, we go in there for an hour or two. We take a list of e-mail address' with us and send messages to friends. It's nice that many people don't know what's inside. It is usually not too crowded. Just an observation.

BJW
02-22-2004, 07:23 PM
I wanted one of those GM cars so bad and I loved that simulator! Lately, Innoventions has been a waste of time and people have said it gets less attendance than the Tiki Room. I think they should take it out and put in a new ride or show. Does anyone notice that they now encourage you to stick around and watch the other presentations when they let more people in the door. They used to not do that. Things must be pretty bad.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Innoventions has always been a bore IMO. Video games? Internet? The GM "simulator" that moves left and right? Woo, I'm so impressed. However did they do it??? :rolleyes:

The only reason I've been in there within the past year was to ride the Segway - twice. And even then we'd have to weigh whether we could put up with just getting in the dang building. Waiting, then listening to Tom Morrow's whole speech....It was fun once, but never again. Except when he says "meeee land", for some reason that's funny :D

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 06:55 PM
I have never been inside Innoventions - it just doesn't appeal to me (and, to be honest, I sometimes forget it's there:D )

dsnylndmom
02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
The only thing I enjoyed at Innoventions was the Talk To Stitch attraction. My kids, especially the youngest LOVED IT!!(He was 4 at the time and big big into Stitch) THAT part I would do again, it was a riot

Ghoulish Delight
02-23-2004, 07:34 PM
A spinning advertisement filled with technology, some of which is approaching (or surpassed) 10 years old. Perfect for Tomorrowland. :rolleyes: The Segway, and perhaps the "Talk to Stitch" (which I have yet to see) are the only innovative things in the whole place. The GM car would have been mildly interesting...if it weren't a commercial.

blusilva
02-24-2004, 12:05 AM
I was quite surprised last fall when I visited with some out-of-state friends who were honeymooning at DLR. All of us are in our 30s. They are both tech geeks (and I say that in a loving way). We spent an hour in the Starcade and over two hours in Innoventions.

I was bored stiff. I've officially turned into my mother, who, back in the 70s used to tell my brother and me "We didn't come to Disneyland to play arcade games. We can do that anywhere." Of course I didn't say that to my friends, as they seemed very content to play with the free Monsters, Inc. games on the top level of Innoventions forEVER. Me, I just sat down on the floor and waited patiently. They really should add some benches for those of us who aren't of the video game persuasion.

They told me later that was the most fun they had on their trip, besides playing Millionaire for half a day (another big yawn to me). So, I guess it's all just a matter of YMMV. Wildly.

UncleGDogWord
02-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I will say this about Innoventions, they need to install benchs. When I was there on New Years Eve it looked like a refugee camp with all these people lying around.

HBTiggerFan
02-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
And even then we'd have to weigh whether we could put up with just getting in the dang building. Waiting, then listening to Tom Morrow's whole speech....[/size]

Don't you know the super secret route to bypass Tom Morrow?

disney_j
02-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Don't you know the super secret route to bypass Tom Morrow?

Not going to innoventions?:D

Disneyfreak
02-25-2004, 06:39 PM
The best thing about it is the fact you get the best view in the park for the fireworks and you can hear the music and everything.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Don't you know the super secret route to bypass Tom Morrow? There's always a CM guarding the exit.

MonorailMan
02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
There's always a CM guarding the exit.

Not That Exit. :) :~D

Cancer Norm
02-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Innoventions is a Bore!

Nothing else comes close. The First Aid station is more exciting.
America Sings was mildly amusing at best. Carousel of Progress was great and one of the best things at DL. How"bout if they gut it and put in Circlevision........I miss American Journeys..

Alex S.
02-25-2004, 07:44 PM
I was able to check out the after party for the Snow White Premiere last weekend.

It was originally going to be in Toontown, but the rain moved it to Innoventions.

Innoventions may not be the best attraction, but it makes for an awesome nightclub.

Mickeyslittlehelper
02-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Where are the computers that you can access email?

sambo
02-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
A spinning advertisement filled with technology, some of which is approaching (or surpassed) 10 years old. ...

A couple years ago on my first visit to innovations, one of the CMs upstairs was giving a little speech about the "digital" cameras that everyone will be using in the future. She went on to tell us that they store the pictures on little removeable "chips", and that this new technology...yadda, yadda... I couldn't help myself. I reached in my pocket and held up two of the chips to my camera. The CM noticed and made a big deal about them being all part of the new "digital" future and how lucky I was to be in the forefront of technology. I looked around and clearly I was not the only one in the group with a digital camera. I almost expected the next talk to be about these miraculous new things called Dee Vee Dee's.

Hoo boy. Even the Segway's are old news. I've already ridden on them, and not at innoventions.

They need to update the attraction, or replace it. Or better yet, put all the cool stuff from the fifties and sixties in there and have the CM's in vintage retro costumes extoll the virtues of these new technologies like we were all back 40 or 50 years ago. That would be more fun hearing about helicars, personal robots, and electricity too cheap to meter... ;)

Maybe for the Anniversary?

Loric
02-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Epcot's version I think is larger, encompassing the northern hemisphere of the old Communicore buildings - but it recently got some nice additions.

The United Laboratories Exhibit is fairly interesting as guests attempt to break things - and funnily enough, last time I was there one of the TV's you try to smash with a mallet had indeed smashed.

New, but yet unseen by myself, is an exhibit on Nanotechnology. Some dislike it, but atleast it's a breath of fresh air.

It's funny, the whole "GM" car thing and the apparent "Dreamchasers" simulator thing is the entire post show of Epcot's Test Track. Imagine walking out of an interesting ride, having the Dreamchasers smushed into a corner, and then the entire rest a dynamicly lit showroom for new cars. Not blatant enough? When you around the ride's outer-loop to pick up speed before the acceleration straightaway - there's a new model of car from every GM company sitting 2 floors beneath you in the middle of the parking lot under the loop in a circle - in hope you'll notice them from the banked turn - someone really thought that one out :rolleyes:

Loric
02-27-2004, 02:20 AM
Alright, did some research - only attraction at Epcot i couldn't find info on was the new Nanotech exhibit because the archives haven't been updated yet on it.

And i couldn't find a show listing of DL Innovention, but which of these shows are repeats? Bolded the point :) Don't wanna bore you with Epcot info but wanna know which ones are repeats.

INNOVENTIONS EAST

Innoventions Welcome Center featuring the Segway™ HT: You've heard about it, but now you can see this innovative short-distance transportation technology firsthand at Innoventions, as cast members demonstrate the cutting-edge alternative to walking!

"Forests For Our Future" is an inviting forest environment that is also an interactive discovery place where guests of all ages can learn more about the technology of paper while playing high tech games among the trees. You'll even get the chance to try your own hand at making paper!

Communications Dream Forum presented by Motorola: Guests experience an interactive world combining interactive displays, animatronics, and the largest high-definition projection screen at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Guests also get to try their hand at dreaming up products of their own in Motorola's Reality Lab as well as playing with Motorola's cutting edge prototypes and providing recommendations to their researchers.

Mission:SPACE Launch Center powered by Compaq (Which for the most part i think remains unchanged or was replaced by the Nanotech)

Disney.com's Internet Zone powered by Compaq: Also known as free arcade games - but the more interactive large-scale kind.

House of Innoventions presented by Whirlpool Corporation: The House of Innoventions is a tour that's filled with innovative products that provide added comfort, security, convenience, entertainment and overall control to our homes and our lives.

Test the Limits Lab presented by UL:We challenge you to shatter, torture, slam, drop and impact some of the products that UL tests every day! Fun for kids of all ages, this sensory-filled safety testing experience lets you test the limits of product safety and design just like the UL engineers do every day.

INNOVENTIONS WEST

ThinkPlace presented by IBM: IBM's Use your imagination and know-how on the new "Think-a-ma-jig" to create an outrageous under sea machine used to gather buried treasure. Send a "Thinking of You" Postcard to your family and friends back home. Experience leading-edge product and technology demonstrations in the "Think Live" area.

Ultimate Home Theater Experience presented by Lutron: Fairly self explanatory.

Beautiful Science presented by Farm Bureau:The "Beautiful Science" Exhibit offers a fascinating look at biotechnology. Here families can explore the emerging science behind the breathtaking beauty of nature and share in the magical moments of discovery.

Video Games of Tomorrow presented by Disney Interactive: More video games!

Tom Morrow 2.0's Playground: The exhibit with the little robotic dog.