PDA

View Full Version : Shows you would recommend

Pages : [1] 2 3

derraj25
02-22-2004, 06:31 AM
My wife and I will be at the DLR from Tues-Thur. We have been there beaucoup times and have never seen any shows except Playhouse Disney (we have young children and they would rather ride than sit and watch). So we are going by ourselves this time and would like to know what shows you would recommend, and what shows are a complete waste of time.

DCAWhites
02-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Be sure to see Millionare and its tough to be a bug. Avoid honey I shrunk the audience. The other shows (muppets, golden dreams, great moments with mr lincoln, etc) are your call. They're decent.

EandCDad
02-22-2004, 06:38 AM
You should at least try the DCA Aladdin show. It's personally not my favorite but some adults really like it and it does have good costumes, props and the Genie is funny. You'll get a wide variety of responses about this show, it's worth seeing once to judge for yourself.

The Golden Dreams movie isn't worth seeing, but if you haven't gone to Muppets 3-D, it's pretty fun.

tod
02-22-2004, 09:31 AM
There are those who would say that "Fantasmic!" is one of the treats of the resort. I am not one of these people, but I decided this after I saw it. I recommend that you see it too .

--T

Not Afraid
02-22-2004, 09:32 AM
You probably want to catch the new Snow White musical at DL.

I adore the Aladdin & Jasmine Storytelling show in Aladdin's Oasis (formerly Tahitian Terrace). It's a kids show, but so adult and funny at times. I see it whenever I can - without kids.

NO one's mentioned the Golden Horseshoe shows- which I have only seen once.:eek: Billy Hill and the Hillbillies have their own hard core crowd.

Fantasmic

I think DCA has been covered. Most are worth seeing once, but I can't say I have a favorite on that side of the resort.

Have fun!

THE REF
02-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by DCAWhites
Be sure to see Millionare and its tough to be a bug. Avoid honey I shrunk the audience. The other shows (muppets, golden dreams, great moments with mr lincoln, etc) are your call. They're decent.

Why avoid honey I shrunk the audience? We loved it at Epcot. Is the Disneyland version different? What time do the showings start at Disneyland?

CarlieB
02-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Definitely: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies, Fantasmic & Muppets 3D.

SteveK
02-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by THE REF
Why avoid honey I shrunk the audience? We loved it at Epcot. Is the Disneyland version different? What time do the showings start at Disneyland?

I saw it for the first time earlier this month and enjoyed it. Would I see it over and over again? No, but it's worth seeing for someone who has never seen it.
-Steve

LibraryGirl
02-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I adore the Aladdin & Jasmine Storytelling show in Aladdin's Oasis (formerly Tahitian Terrace). It's a kids show, but so adult and funny at times. I see it whenever I can - without kids.

I thought this show was great! NA has got me hooked on this little gem of a show.

... it also helped that Boo played Jafar! ;)

bandboy1985
02-22-2004, 05:09 PM
golden dreams in dca is also very good. it's a sort of brief telling of the history of california with whoopi goldberg as califia (the mythological goddess cali is named after); people are always hesitant to see it, as not much is made of the production, but it's quality and well-produced, and it's not all bright lights and happiness; they acknowledge many aspects of our state. it's good- don't miss it.

tod
02-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by bandboy1985
golden dreams in dca is also very good.

I'm not sure I agree that it's "good," but its shortcomings are more evident on a second or third viewing. It also offers soft seats inside an air-conditioned building, which makes it a welcome respite from a long hot day...

-T

wenderella
02-22-2004, 07:14 PM
I don't think you should miss Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. My kids and I went in October and it was so cool. The audio effects were amazing. It was so funny watching my kids reation, too. They could not figure out what was going on. As an adult, I really enjoyed it. The Walt Disney items in there are interesting to look at too.
The Drawn to Animation show inside the Disney Animation exhibit inside DCA was good too. It describes a bit about animation and how it works. I liked it.

Forbin
02-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Lets see you've been a Playhouse Disney which my daughter enjoys greatly.

but Lets see

Day 1 - Aladdin's Magical Adventures - The one next to Jungle Cruise

Day 2 - Buzz Lightyear or another Playhouse Disney.

Day 3 - Aladdin's Spectacular - The one in DCA. That one should be done if you kids can sit through the other one. Do not sit on row 2 or 3 if this is your first time.

The usually don't have Fantasmic on Tues - Thurs or the Electrical Parade.

MonorailMan
02-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Millionaire - Play It!

While this can take up to an hour of your time, (Or for me, 4 hours on one day), it's a great experience, and dead-on with the show. :)

BornieoTheLoveBug
02-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Aladdin
Muppet's 3-D
One Man's Dream in the Animation Bldg.
Fantasmic!

Must's on my list!!

Cadaverous Pallor
02-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Every show is going to have it's fans.

I hated Golden Dreams, and I only saw it once. I recommend that you avoid it at all costs, especially if you have children in tow - they will probably be either bored out of their minds or frightened out of their wits when people blow up. (Yes, people do blow up in the movie)

If you do nothing else, SEE FANTASMIC.

Disneyfreak
02-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Golden Dreams is one of my favorites. It really makes you feel greatful for living in the United States in one of the best states on earth. If you say it is a bad movie then you do not deserve to be a US citizen. I would see this if time permits. But I would definately see Fantasmic, Aladdin, and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Also they do not actually show the people blowing up. There isnt even an explosion noise to signal they blew up.

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 06:52 PM
What happens if you see it, don't like it and aren't a US citizen?;)

Not Afraid
02-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
It really makes you feel greatful for living in the United States in one of the best states on earth. If you say it is a bad movie then you do not deserve to be a US citizen.

Well, that may be true, but I am a US Citizen, I really don't care for Golden Dreams and I haven't moved to France ....YET. ;)

It's not that GD is a terrible film, it's just notsomething I want to see more than once. Lincon draws me back more than GD. Now, if you don't like Lincon THEN I'd say that you do not deserve to be a US citizen.;)

Ghoulish Delight
02-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Golden Dreams is one of my favorites. It really makes you feel greatful for living in the United States in one of the best states on earth. If you say it is a bad movie then you do not deserve to be a US citizen. I would see this if time permits. But I would definately see Fantasmic, Aladdin, and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Also they do not actually show the people blowing up. There isnt even an explosion noise to signal they blew up. :|

If I don't think like you, I don't deserve to be a US citzen. I'll keep that in mind.

Golden Dreams does a terrible job of stradling the line between "patriotic" (or "State"-triotic, since it's only about California) and "realistic." The attempt to be progressive and include the bad side of building California falls flat and feels very out of place. It comes across to me as, "Bad stuff happened, but it's okay because Whoopi's here." Just flat out didn't work for me. And as far as I'm concerned, anyone who attempts to strip my citizenship because of my opinion needs to really think about what it means to be a US citizen.

Originally posted by Not Afraid
It's not that GD is a terrible film, it's just notsomething I want to see more than once. Lincon draws me back more than GD. Now, if you don't like Lincon THEN I'd say that you do not deserve to be a US citizen.;) I don't really consider myself a film at all, but if that's the way you feel about me... :p

Not Afraid
02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

I don't really consider myself a film at all, but if that's the way you feel about me... :p

Hello? There's a great big world just outside yourself.:p :~D

dsnylndmom
02-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Our Must Do Shows are:

[list=1]
Aladdin in DCA
It's Tough To Be A Bug
One Man's Dream
Fantasmic!
Aladdin & Jasmine Storytelling next to Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
[/list=1]

adriennek
02-23-2004, 07:51 PM
I love the story telling at Aladdin's Oasis in DL, but it's the off-season right now so it's probably not playing Tue-Thu, but just Fri-Sun.

Adrienne

Niwel
02-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Don't forget "Chance to Shine" which takes place in front of the Animation building (check guide book for times). Very cute...

P.S. I ALWAYS cry during "Just One Dream," the song at the end of Golden Dreams (I've seen it more than 15 times, I think.) I'm usually fine until they show Walt ... what can I say -- I also cry during "One Man's Dream" in the animation building.

cstephens
02-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Golden Dreams is one of my favorites. It really makes you feel greatful for living in the United States in one of the best states on earth. If you say it is a bad movie then you do not deserve to be a US citizen.

Wow. All that for just a short movie?