PDA

View Full Version : Light Magic (or shall i say Light Tragic)

stitchhead
02-21-2004, 06:15 PM
its been about 7 years since Disneylands failed Light Magic parade/show was shown at Disneyland, replacing the Main Street Electrical Parade. Disney explained to guests that the show would return in 2000 after all the bugs were worked out. it didnt happen. now, the rumors are starting up again as i found out recently that Disney may be considering bringing back Light Magic to replace the Parade of the Stars in time for Disneylands 50th anniversary. well, the Electrical Parade is now showing at DCA, and the Parade of the Stars is aging. could it be true? could Disney actually bring back the parade starring Pixies, led by Tinker Bell? what do you think? should the Parade of the Stars be replaced by Light Magic? replaced by something else? or just left alone altogether?:confused:

SweetAurora
02-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Parade of the Stars was Disney's 45th anniversarry parade, wasn't it? "45 Years of Magic", or something of the sort.
WHAT the fluff. This parade has been going on for 5 years now. 5!!! I love the princesses--love the fairies in it, love the Blue Fairy...but for the sake of all, I think it's time for it to go. Or maybe change it somehow? I don't know. I know it HAS to be popular, of course, because of the big deal the princesses are for the Disney franchise as well as millions of little girls around the world. Shamefully, that includes myself.

I think we need a Peter Pan parade! YAYY!!! Hahaha.

All in all, I dare Disney to achieve something that is greater than the Electrical Parade. If they bring back Light Tragic, they could do SO much more with it...they really could. I could go on and on about what my parade would be like, but hey....someone should start another post on that. :)

sleepyjeff
02-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by SweetAurora
Parade of the Stars was Disney's 45th anniversarry parade, wasn't it? "45 Years of Magic", or something of the sort.
WHAT the fluff. This parade has been going on for 5 years now. . :)

5 WHOLE years!!

Disneyland was built to be a special place....a once in a lifetime visit for many. They should not have to have a NEW parade every 3 or 4 years for the sake of not boring those who must visit every other week.

As long as they do it right( Main St. Electrical Parade or Lion King Parade ) they should not need to change it for decades even.

That being said; I think the current parade should be replaced....not because it is old(its not), but because it just isn't all that good to begin with.

sleepyjeff
02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by SweetAurora

I think we need a Peter Pan parade! YAYY!!! Hahaha.

:)

Yesss....they should do this. :)

Hamradio
02-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Compounding the Light Magic flop-er-oo was timing. The show was brought out after the Main Street Electrical Parade was mothballed after a HUGE nostalgic send-off final year. Park attendance set records. Expectations were high.

I'll never forget our reaction when we saw Light Magic. It was like what creative team sold this dog to senior management?
You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig!

That is as kind as I can be. Leave it buried.

SweetAurora
02-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
5 WHOLE years!!

Disneyland was built to be a special place....a once in a lifetime visit for many. They should not have to have a NEW parade every 3 or 4 years for the sake of not boring those who must visit every other week.

As long as they do it right( Main St. Electrical Parade or Lion King Parade ) they should not need to change it for decades even.

That being said; I think the current parade should be replaced....not because it is old(its not), but because it just isn't all that good to begin with.
That's what I meant. 5 years is too long for a parade that's never been as great as the Electrical Parade. Everyone agree? I mean, the EP lasted so incredibly long, and was beloved by so many. Think you have that with Parade of the Stars? Eh, probably not. It's still a pretty good parade to bring your kids and stuff to...but for the AP's, it is probably boring after a while. As a CM who frequently does parade control, I've seen it a lot, too.
Thank God, however, they finally got rid of the "Pomp and Circumstance" they used to loop for the parade music--that was a couple of years back. That drove me NUTS!

CoasterMatt
02-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Light Magic was never given a chance to get the bugs worked out of it's effects systems either, many of the lighting effects never worked, and the show COUNTED on them working...

I didn't think the pixies were anywhere near as disturbing as some of the pintraders I've seen on Main Street :~D

Loric
02-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Aurora...

At WDW, the MK's parade, Share a Dream Come True, is hosted by Peter Pan and Tinkerbell.

sleepyjeff
02-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Sweet Aurora:

OK...we agree:)

spectromen
02-24-2004, 09:34 AM
I highly doubt LM is the 50th parade. The floats were cannibalized shortly after closing so they'd have to be rebuilt. Plus, Annie Hamburger talks about how the 50th parade will bring DL parades to a whole new level, something never done before. Considering LM WAS done before, I deduce that that's not what we are getting. However, it sure would be nice to have a parade with lights, since we all know there won't be a separate daytime and nighttime parade anymore :( Well, unless Electrical moves back to Main Street and DCA gets something new...sigh.

Dlandmom
02-24-2004, 09:45 AM
I only saw Light Magic twice, and both times I was standing somewhat far away and didn't see a lot of the pixies dancing on the ground. I wasn't interested enough to get any closer.

That said, anything that followed the Main Street Electrical Parade was bound to be a disappointment...the chances of their repeating that kind of success was pretty slim. Everyone hoped they could do it, but unfortunately they didn't.

UncleGDogWord
02-24-2004, 11:26 AM
I remember having to put my wife on my shoulders so she could at least see "The Magic". I ended up seeing the back of some guys head.

The problem with the parade is that it wasn't a real parade. The show carts would stop and they preformed their little skits.

I really hope the can avoid it and bring back a cool show like the Centennial Parade from 75-76! I still have the photos from that one.:fez:

bandboy1985
02-25-2004, 12:55 AM
i consider light magic to be the first venture which tried to sell disney as "hip and edgy and trendy". the soundtrack and choreography were built around the themes of both popular rock and irish step-dancing/clogging (strange bedfellows, indeed). the "pixies in the forest" was simply a vehicle used to tell the story (which was heavily lacking- parades and "streetaculars" need a far more cohesive theme than fireworks shows), and gave them an opportunity to add video input (a new and trendy thing to do with technology back in the day) into the show- a mistake i do not think would be replicated today, given the commonplace nature of plasma and flat-screen tvs.

if light magic were to be revived, i feel it would be in concept and name only- the technology, staging of the event, musical/choreographic themes and production execution would all be greatly improved and updated.

CONNCR
02-26-2004, 08:07 AM
I only wish that Disneyland could have a parade like WDW's "Spectromagic". When Light Magic was announed, it seemed to me that a Spectromagic clone would have been logical.

(The only drawback however is the "story" is very close to Fantasmic!)

powaqqatsi
02-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by bandboy1985
"hip and edgy and trendy"
That move never fails to get Disney in trouble. They have to come up with thier own sources, otherwise it ends up all wrong. Anyone else remember Disco Duck or Mousercise? Every time Disney has tried to come off as "with it" they show just how out of touch they are. Which is fine, they have a definate image and history and there is no reason to stray from it - it works.

bandboy1985
02-26-2004, 08:20 PM
hee.

dude, i loved mousercise. i worked side scissors into most of the stuff i taught little kids in beginning dance classes.