PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland settles lawsuit with Club 33 Member

Karin
07-07-2018, 05:53 AM
"The lawsuit alleged that Cosgrove’s membership was terminated because he gave someone tickets for Club 33 that were subsequently sold at a charity auction, which is against the club’s rules. As a result of the loss of his membership, the suit alleged, he suffered “great mental, emotional, physical and nervous pain and suffering.”"

Full article here (https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2018/07/06/disneyland-fan-ousted-from-exclusive-club-33-wont-be-returning/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=fb-pasadenastarnews).

AnotherJenny
07-07-2018, 06:17 PM
When DCA reopened I remember a guy wearing a red and black hat who I sat with for over an hour in Animation Academy, which was the holding room for the merchandise exclusives. He and the woman with him were kind of annoying because they kept shouting out trivia about the objects on the stage to the cast members keeping order, who clearly didn't care. Also it was like 7am and everyone in the room had been sitting on the esplanade all night, so it really didn't go over well in the whole room.

About a year and a half later I got to go to an event at the trophy room just before it closed. At the end, our group of four asked if we could take pics on the balcony. There was this couple out there taking up the whole balcony, which was quite a feat for two people. We offered to take their photos, sort of like, a hint that we wanted pics too. They said oh no, they have plenty of pics, they're just going to hang out. We did get one selfie all squished ttogether without them in it. The man was wearing the same red and black hat. At the time it didn't occur to me that it might be the same couple. I just thought the hat might be come super collectible Disneyland thing I didn't recognize.

Fast forward another year and a half to when Mr. Cosgrove's photo appeared in a story about his membership. I went and charged up my old iPad, checked the photos, and sure enough, he was the guy from the balcony. All of this to say, sometimes you think you're doing good by spreading your enthusiasm, but really, you're just impeding on a moment of someone else's simple enjoyment of something.

candles71
07-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the update Karin, I like that they included the MP article from a couple of years ago. :)

LdyApxr
07-08-2018, 07:42 AM
I can't read the article since I didn't subscribe to 4wk access but I am hoping that they did not get to keep their membership.

currence
07-08-2018, 09:24 AM
I didn't click through, but from an article that showed up in my newsfeed the wife indicated that they would no longer be going to Disneyland. I took that to mean that their membership to Club 33 would also not be reinstated.

Karin
07-08-2018, 03:24 PM
I can't read the article since I didn't subscribe to 4wk access but I am hoping that they did not get to keep their membership.

They've not been members since Jan. 2015 and are not being reinstated.

I didn't click through, but from an article that showed up in my newsfeed the wife indicated that they would no longer be going to Disneyland. I took that to mean that their membership to Club 33 would also not be reinstated.

Right on both accounts.

MidwayManiac
07-08-2018, 03:43 PM
The July 8, 2015 Koenig article portrayed some pretty absurd behavior from the Cosgroves. If that's an unbiased account (not saying it necessarily is), then Disney is within reason to not renew their membership.

candles71
07-08-2018, 03:49 PM
The July 8, 2015 Koenig article portrayed some pretty absurd behavior from the Cosgroves. If that's an unbiased account (not saying it necessarily is), then Disney is within reason to not renew their membership.
I read an article at the time that really portrayed them in a bad light. One of the newspapers iirc.
Weird that you hit a paywall LdyAPXR. I didn't and I'm at the same end of the state as you are.

Berry Princess
07-08-2018, 04:00 PM
considered himself a self-proclaimed ambassador to the park’s legendary private VIP club

The fact the guy claims this and makes sure a reminder on him "writing" a book about Walt Disney says a lot about the kind of guy he is. JMO though.

As a result of the loss of his membership, the suit alleged, he suffered “great mental, emotional, physical and nervous pain and suffering.”

LMAO I can see being upset over it but doubt it caused all that considering the dude knew perfectly well what the rules are and he was breaking them. From the sounds of thing from when I first read about this and seeing what AnotherJenny said, it seemed this guy and his wife were nothing but problems. AnotherJenny, that is really a shame how they behaved during a special moment that you and your group had there. How many others did that happen to and it was probably a first and only time for some? SMH I'm glad they lost their membership for good.

Dave1313
07-08-2018, 06:51 PM
I read an article at the time that really portrayed them in a bad light. One of the newspapers iirc.
Weird that you hit a paywall LdyAPXR. I didn't and I'm at the same end of the state as you are.

Ad-blockers apparently cause the paywall too, so maybe that is what happened. ;)

AnotherJenny
07-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Mental and emotional pain and suffering is typical for a suit for damages. Physical pain might be a bit much. You should read the DAS lawsuit language, it makes his perceived damages seem mild.

LdyApxr
07-09-2018, 07:07 AM

Yeah and I disabled my adblocker too. Ah well, at least he did not get away with it. It sounds like he and his wife were kind of obnoxious and really, emotional pain and suffering and nervous pain? LOL Nervous because they knew they were breaking the rules of the contract. LOL

Berry Princess
07-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Mental and emotional pain and suffering is typical for a suit for damages. Physical pain might be a bit much. You should read the DAS lawsuit language, it makes his perceived damages seem mild.

Oh yea I forgot about that one. I remember reading some of that and thinking what a big joke it all was. Wonder how many have gone back to a Disney park from those lawsuits after losing.

LdyApxr I have heard some people say to go under incognito window for opening the Times or OC Register. I don't even read either of them and when I see a link to an article like this to click to I have had the same issue come up. It happens more for me with the OC Register then anything (but they are owned by the Times). I saw that sometimes it works going on it that way.

currence
07-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Oh yea I forgot about that one. I remember reading some of that and thinking what a big joke it all was. Wonder how many have gone back to a Disney park from those lawsuits after losing.

I imagine if you merely lose, you might be able to return to a Disney park. My guess is that they accepted a confidential settlement that includes a clause that they will never attempt to return to a Disney park. The voyeur in me wanted the Trial to go forward. The rumors were quite interesting and I was curious what Disney would choose to submit as evidence of the various rule violations (not least of which would have needed to be a copy of the rules themselves). Since so much about that club is confidential, it could have been an un-glamorous peak behind the scenes. Which likely played a factor in Disney deciding to settle versus go forward with a Trial.

Karin
07-09-2018, 02:47 PM
I imagine they are soured on the Disney experience and may have simply chosen of their volition not to return. After being a Member for the entire existence of the club, it might be difficult to go to DL without going to Club. I'd be willing to bet they didn't spend much time doing much else around the parks other than the Club.

Malcon10t
07-09-2018, 05:15 PM
I imagine they are soured on the Disney experience and may have simply chosen of their volition not to return. After being a Member for the entire existence of the club, it might be difficult to go to DL without going to Club. I'd be willing to bet they didn't spend much time doing much else around the parks other than the Club.Well, he hadn't been a member as long as the club had existed (as he had told everyone...) He joined in 1979.

Karin
07-10-2018, 05:52 AM
Well, he hadn't been a member as long as the club had existed (as he had told everyone...) He joined in 1979.

Interesting. Adding lying to the long list of infractions. Not surprised. Probably figured he'd been there longer than any of the Club's admins that he could get away with it.

Malcon10t
07-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Interesting. Adding lying to the long list of infractions. Not surprised. Probably figured he'd been there longer than any of the Club's admins that he could get away with it.I think he had told them (the lies) for so long he was actually believing them. It is actually kind of sad.

NickP
07-12-2018, 09:09 AM
That's funny I was just thinking about this case the other day and wondering what ever happened. Thanks for sharing the update.