PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Rubberheads!

haunted_mike
02-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Following on from the new Snow White musical which is due to open shortly at Disneyland I was wondering whether anyone had considered the possibility that Disney may/could replace the rubber-head meet-and-greet and parade dwarfs with the new costumes from the show?

A precedent, if you want one, would be the Mad Hatter, which I think was changed from a rubber-head character to a face character (or at least, I've seen pictures of both versions).

What about other rubber-head "humans"? Could characters such as Captain Hook make the switch?

Is this a good thing or bad?

IMO I think it's ok, I've always thought that the rubber-head "human" characters look a bit odd, and indeed the dwarf rubber-heads tower above Snow White!

Whatever next...? A Lion King Musical style Mickey?

blusilva
02-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by haunted_mike

What about other rubber-head "humans"? Could characters such as Captain Hook make the switch?

Is this a good thing or bad?

I think human characters would be fine as face characters - even the more exaggerated, cartooney ones like Captain Hook and Gepetto. No one questions the princesses. It's the full suited non-human characters such as Eeyore or Pluto that wouldn't be so convincing given the "Lion King" treatment.

As for good or bad....well, it's just different, really.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-21-2004, 10:01 AM
I would LOVE this! I feel it's so sad that the characters can't talk. The Mad Hatter is always a kick, and that's because he can talk!

Bring on the humanoid face characters!

justagrrl
02-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by haunted_mike
Could characters such as Captain Hook make the switch?

Hook is so much fun! As we were getting on one of the main street vehicles, my husband called out "Hey Hook!". He looked up and shook his fist at us. :) Good times.

MonorailMan
02-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Personally, I've always thought about this, and thin for other characters, such as Mickey and Goofy, that it is possible.

However, while you wouldn't actually have the face character, you could have some sort of anamatronic style head, that acts and responds, accoring to the person inside. :)

cstephens
02-22-2004, 01:20 AM
One of the problems with non-rubberheads is that casting those parts will be much more difficult. I've been fairly disappointed lately with the many princesses who don't quite look the way they should - the only way I recognize them is because of their clothing.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
One of the problems with non-rubberheads is that casting those parts will be much more difficult. I've been fairly disappointed lately with the many princesses who don't quite look the way they should - the only way I recognize them is because of their clothing. It's more important to me that they have the character down, that they interact with the children well, and that they can smile for all those pictures. Good interaction is far more important than having the perfect Cinderella cheekbones in my book.

cstephens
02-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
It's more important to me that they have the character down, that they interact with the children well, and that they can smile for all those pictures. Good interaction is far more important than having the perfect Cinderella cheekbones in my book.

I guess for me, all of it matters, maybe because partly that's what I'm used to. Sure, character is a huge deal, but if you act like Snow White and look like Olive Oyl (not that I've seen any of them like that), that doesn't work for me.

Morrigoon
02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Hmm... I don't think I like the obnoxiously loud patterns on the SW dwarves' costumes. I'd rather they stick with solid colors (which are more historically likely when you think about it: far easier to dye a solid color - patterns are more for the wealthy) But beyond that, it's an interesting concept.

ppmuse
02-23-2004, 06:59 AM
For me, I think it would determine on the voice of the character. Usually, the voices are with the animal characters instead of the human ones, and most likely, the animal characters would still be in the full suits, and not be able to talk, except make noises (thinking sticking your tongue out and breathing).

Back at MGM studios, Clopin is the best character floating around, though nobody goes to him. All the kids would rather see Baloo, Mickey, or Captain Hook. But Clopin, much like that Mad Hadder, is fun to watch, to talk to, and enjoy. Go Rubberheads.

ppmuse
02-23-2004, 07:02 AM
For me, I think it would determine on the voice of the character. Usually, the voices are with the animal characters instead of the human ones, and most likely, the animal charac

Demigod121
02-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Personally, I think the 'human' characters should be 'face' characters - not rubberheads. The 'cartoony' ones are ok for rubberheads.

Just to add my own character experience....last time my wife and I were at DL, we were sitting in the double-decker bus waiting for other passengers, when the Mad Hatter and Alice were walking by. Hatter sneakily came up to the bus and honked the horn while the driver was out helping people. The driver (playfully) ran after Hatter and Alice, calling for the police. It was hilarious.

-Demigod

DrIndianaJones
02-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Depends, for the Snow White show, the reason the rubberheads are gone is because it would make acting both poor and dangerous. For the meet and greet, I think the rubberheads should remain, because that allows the actor to remain in character without worrying about makeup, etc. The Mad-Hatter is okay without a mask because that isn't needed for the character, rather it is what is said and done by that actor that makes the character. Hook, on the other hand (pun intended), needs to have the mask so he looks mean, and yet cartoonish enough that he is approachable by the guests.