PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fantasmic Tips

scatmo
02-20-2004, 08:32 PM
I will be at DL 4/3--4/9. I know that will be really busy and that the parks are open very late and the shows/parades will be running every day. I have never seen Fantasmic, so I am looking for some tips on how best to see it (short of the balcony seating--too many people to make it cost efficient). It will be myself, 2 children, and my sister along with another family of 3.

Are there any days better than others? Is one show more crowded than another?

Are there any really good viewing spots that I should attempt to stake out # hours early? Any "secret" viewing areas that most people aren't aware of?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

BJW
02-20-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure if it's cheaper than the balcony seating, but I went to the special river seating that includes cushioned chairs and a dessert buffet. It is over by the Haunted Mansion and has good viewing. My favorite spot used to be the Tom Sawyer raft dock, but now they rope it off during the show. That used to be the best kept secret at the park and had the best view of Fantasmic. I would say anywhere closer to Frontierland and the Haunted Mansion (the two sides) would have a less wait than the middle part and may offer (surprisingly) just as good of a view. If you see the second show (better and less crowded) plan to arrive right when the first one ends.

Also, anyone know why they started closing the Tom Sawyer dock?

Cadaverous Pallor
02-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Hmm....as of now they don't run Fantasmic on weekdays....I don't know if they'll have it on weekdays in April. If they do, definitely wait until mid-week to see it. If not, I'd say see the last show on Sunday night. People are often not willing to stay late on Sunday since they have to get up for work in the morning. Plus, as BJW said, as soon as the first one ends and people start clearing out, you'll be able to get good seating without waiting too long. A half an hour is nothing, and you can convert it into a late meal break too.

The chairs/dessert buffet is probably rather expensive, especially with so many people.

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-21-2004, 12:54 AM
I hope this doesn't spark a smoking debate but...

My favorite spot is the smoking section across from the HM. It doesn't get many people due to the smoke but as a smoker, I don't mind. You can see everything and aren't wedged in like a sardine.

With kids though, I wouldn't suggest that this would be a good spot for you. Sometimes we sit at the restaurant to the right of the Golden Horseshoe review. (Stage door Cafe, or something like that). It's not a perfect view but if the park isn't too crowded, you can get a decent seat for you and the family.

Icy Bacon
02-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Every time I've seen the show, the entire middle area and Frontierland side of the lowest tier around the river has been full up, and the area closest to Haunted Mansion has been practically empty until 5 minutes before the show. Just go over to the mansion and down the last set of steps on that side of the river, and there shouldn't be too many people and you'll be right in front of one of the mist screens. :)

scatmo
02-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all of the advice! Are there any other tips out there?

SweetAurora
02-21-2004, 07:01 PM
I have worked a lot of Fantasmic! shifts. I usually work the section by Haunted Mansion, where those delectable cushioned seats are. Unfortunately, I believe each seat is basically the price of an admission ticket...so they're pretty expensive. Plus, some of them suck because people end up standing in front of them in some sections, anyway.

Above all, I would advice going to the 2nd show of the night. If you go to the 1st, you'll be fighting the people who've been there for 3+ hours guarding spots like mother hens. Just kidding. But it really does pour out on Fantasmic! nights after the 1st show. If you wait a couple of minutes after people file out following the first show's end, you'll be able to probably snag some spots on the ground where they allow people to sit. And think of all the rides you can hit while people are at the 1st Fantasmic! :)

Another thing is this--that rope on the dock IS sometimes let down for people, but only if the Lead feels like it, or if space permits. Hang out around the dock for a while before the show starts if you feel like it, and if you see a passing CM or someone dressed with one of those fancy "earplugs", ask them if they'll be allowing people to stand on the dock. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.