PDA

View Full Version : Retro DL clothing

CarlieB
02-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Anyone have any of the retro-looking DL tshirts, etc that seem to be around at the moment? I nearly bought the Pirates t last visit and am kicking myself now that I didn't - are they likely to still be around alter this year? (I'm thinking they will be with the 50th coming up...)

Cadaverous Pallor
02-20-2004, 06:42 PM
You mean those girly shirts with old attraction/movie posters on them? They are still plentiful at the park, last I looked.

I really, really, really want some of those.

Andrew
02-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
You mean those girly shirts with old attraction/movie posters on them? They are still plentiful at the park, last I looked.

I really, really, really want some of those. Jen gives me puppy-dog eyes every time we walk by them. I hope they show up at one of the merchandise outlets...

Loric
02-20-2004, 06:50 PM
It's kinda cool how well "Retro" Disney is doing lately.

Those basic shirts with the Mickey standing on the front are starting to become popular again. Was sort of a dull period when they went out of style and then there was the period when CMs only saw them on none-too-well-kept gentlemen sporting holes and stains - that was depressing.

I wish MouseEars would make a come back. They're really not too popular at WDW right now - hope DL is having better luck. People still buy them but no one wears them, they stay in the bag to be preserved or something. I remember seeing the DL After Dark special recently and Walt signing all those hats and stuff for that woman and thinking "Wow, i wish we had all that cool themed merchandise still."

I also really like the 3-panel "sk8er" style attraction shirts. Hard to explain, but it's essentially the theme is "3 basic steps" depicted by the minimalist "Man" restroom icon, but instead having a Mickey head or Goofy hat on.

Oh, absolute faves are the retro-Epcot long sleeve shirts with all the original circle icons down the sleeves and across the chest, and there's even one that has the "Unity" flower with all the icons interlocked.

More along the lines of Mouse Ears but with an Epcot twist - I miss seing Figment hats - too bad no one likes that ride anymore. Yes, it is possible to be worse than Superstar Limo.

Edit: I just had an epiphany. There's one good thing about SSL - they didn't have to ruin something else to make it. Sure, it may be disliked, but atleast it didn't replace something else that was good.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Loric
Edit: I just had an epiphany. There's one good thing about SSL - they didn't have to ruin something else to make it. Sure, it may be disliked, but atleast it didn't replace something else that was good. Wow, talk about off topic. Plus, isn't this thread in the Disneyland forum?

To get back on track - I've heard that these shirts have made appearances at Hot Topic and Kohl's stores. Haven't seen them there myself.

Loric
02-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Wow, talk about off topic. Plus, isn't this thread in the Disneyland forum?

To get back on track - I've heard that these shirts have made appearances at Hot Topic and Kohl's stores. Haven't seen them there myself.

Hey, don't be mean, i was discussing retro clothing :P

I just sorta went off on a tangent... Look! LBL (little blinkie light) technology! *taps a Magic Moment pin and runs off during the distraction*

tod
02-20-2004, 10:21 PM
I like the Mickey Mouse Club seal/medallion/red circle shirts, myself. Trouble is, only some of them have what I call "the good Mickey," with the asymmetrical ears and eyebrows.

You'd think they would all have the same Mickey head on them. You would be wrong.

--T

marron-cream
02-21-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Loric
I wish MouseEars would make a come back. They're really not too popular at WDW right now - hope DL is having better luck. People still buy them but no one wears them, they stay in the bag to be preserved or something.

I guess people are too cool at WDW for mouse ears... they are alive and well at Disneyland. I guess there are more emotions attached to ears from DL than ears from WDW. Original part, original ears. Adults remember them from their childhood trips to Disneyland, they pass the enthusiasm off to their kids.

Loric
02-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Well, I opened my mail and guess what i found in my bill for my Disney Visa card?

A coupon for 20% off any 1 "Vintage" Mickey Tee at Disneystore.com

I think they're psychic.. "Vintage Disney gifts for the entire family at..."

CarlieB
02-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Cool - I'm glad they're still around. I definitely want one of the Pirates ones, and the Snow White one was pretty cute too, from memory. I just thought they were a little different from the usual Disney clothing:)

dsnylndmom
02-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I LOVE those! I got myself a Pirates one at WDW last August and I always get much compliments on it! ;)

I also love the Mickey Mouse Club stuff, I have a sweatshirt, sling backpack and watch:D

mad4mky
02-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Nordstrom's even carries some 'vintage' looking Mickey and Minnie Mouse t-shirts.

Not Afraid
02-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
Nordstrom's even carries some 'vintage' looking Mickey and Minnie Mouse t-shirts.

Yes. they're cute! Target also has a selection of similar shirts AND pajamas.

Cadaverous Pallor
02-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Quickie update - still plentiful on Main Street as of Sunday.

But.....I think they actually raised the price! :eek: Were these always $26???

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Agggghhhhhh! I'm glad they're still there (hopefully for the next 10 months...) I think they have gone up - for some reason I have $22 in my head (could be wrong though...). The Pirates-themed store (is it Pieces of Eight?) in NOS had the Pirates ones when I was there in Nov - that's where I first saw them, in fact.

BELLEH5
02-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Yes always $26!!! I bought the Tiki Room shirt last Monday at Disneyana for $26. I think those shirts are cute. I wish they made them for us smaller people;)

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 06:53 PM
There's a Tiki Room T???? How did I miss that one??? Oh, that time would speed up and it would be December already....

Not Afraid
02-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
There's a Tiki Room T???? How did I miss that one??? Oh, that time would speed up and it would be December already....

Wait a minute. There are the vintage attraction poster and film poster T's. Then there's the type like the Tiki Room T which is a new, but with a retro looking design, cap (& sometimes colored) sleeve.

I'm confused. (I also have to remember that Retro is starting to mean my childhood):|

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Count me confused...is the Tiki one like the Snow White/Cinderella/Pirates ones, or is it a different style altogether?

BELLEH5
02-23-2004, 07:34 PM
I think it's different, sorry!!! It's like a short sleeved tee. it's white and violet and has a couple of retro style tiki birds in bright glitter colors. It says Walt Disney's Encahnted Tiki Room 40TH Anniversary. I think u can see a pix of all the retro tiki stuff at mouseshoppe. I really like the purse too! Hopefully it's still there next week?

Not Afraid
02-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
Count me confused...is the Tiki one like the Snow White/Cinderella/Pirates ones, or is it a different style altogether?

If the Pirates one is what I'm thinking of, then, no, it is not.
The Pirates shirt that I'm thinking of has the artwork from the original attraction poster on the front - covering the entire front. It's not a square picture of the poster, but only a portion of the entire image. The shirt may bo colored to go with the design, the sleeves are short/ caped and the neckline is split.

The Tiki shirt is a completly new design that was designed my the artist, Shag. It is your classic french tee with lavender sleeves and a white shirt.

CarlieB
02-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. It's the ones based on the original attraction posters that I really like:)