PDA

View Full Version : Superstar Limo reopening

Pages : [1] 2

BJW
02-19-2004, 10:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has heard about the rumor of Superstar Limo reopening in May when ToT opens. Also, do you think that the ride will be open during the ToT event next month? I was wondering if it is now a pretty much sure thing the ride will reopen, as I have a few people that haven't been on it yet and want to give it a try?

DCAWhites
02-20-2004, 07:04 AM
May 20th, just announced to CMs to share as of today.

scaeagles
02-20-2004, 07:23 AM
I never had the...pleasure?....of riding it, but frankly I'm scared to. Perhaps the Tower of Terror is not scary enough and they want something to really horrify the guests?

CoasterMatt
02-20-2004, 07:30 AM
To the people who complain about ToT missing a fifth dimension scene - Superstar Limo is creepier than any old Rod Serling episode of the Twilight Zone.

Dlandmom
02-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Good or bad, I've never been on the ride, so at least now I'll have a chance to check it out for myself.

spectromen
02-20-2004, 07:46 AM
I can see this being like a WDW Timekeeper thing though, opening as scheduled, then closing once again only a short time thereafter...so just in case I'm bringing the camcorder on the first trip just to record it for posterity.

mousketeer
02-20-2004, 09:05 AM
I just cannot wait to see Regis, Tim, and Drew in glorious neon again ;) .

Disneyphile
02-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Cool. We can have a "Lower Your IQ" meet! ;)

I wish they would make the ride photos available for purchase, because people's facial expressions are classic. ;)

cstephens
02-20-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm one of those who liked the ride. It's weird, but it was fun for me. I liked looking for the little things. The only thing I didn't like was the guy on the screen, so we usually threw a jacket or something over him.

I'm looking forward to that area of DCA being a little less like underused Tomorrowland.

HBTiggerFan
02-20-2004, 09:58 AM
I feel my IQ points draining already..............

ArthurBang
02-20-2004, 10:14 AM
I just popped onto the portal, and the refurb date for Superstar Limo shows that it ends on May 18th. So it could open the 19th of May.

EandCDad
02-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Obviously if they were going to do some sorta change to the ride or use the building for another ride, I'd prefer that. However, I'd rather have the ride open and available than not. My kids seemed to like it.

danyoung
02-20-2004, 10:57 AM
If you go in expecting another Indy, you'll be sadly disappointed. It's a dark ride, and for my money not bad at all.

Not Afraid
02-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Oh dear. Now I'll HAVE to ride it again.

spaced mountain guy
02-20-2004, 11:13 AM
does this mean they are finally done testing ride vehicles there :p

Ghoulish Delight
02-20-2004, 11:16 AM
:|

Kevy Baby
02-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
:| Its amazing how much you can say with just an emoticon!

I've never been on SSL, so now I have something to look forward to (or dred, depending on your perspective).

HowardBeale
02-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Superstar Limo is every bit as good as 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh' --

In fact, I appreciate 'Superstar Limo' since it was an original idea -- it's colorful, fun, and kind of trippy.

Is it all that and a bag of chips?

certainly not.

But it's also not nearly as abyssmal as has been made out, either.

spectromen
02-20-2004, 03:59 PM
If the AAs were TRUE AAs and not blown up Chuck E. Cheese dolls, I'd give it a solid C-D ticket rating. A big IF, though.

Did they follow through and retrofit the vehicles to match those of Cartoon Spin?

happyhaunts999
02-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I love that ride. It is not on my top ten list by any means, but it is better than having nothing. I hate sixflags for that very reason the have flashback yet it is never open. If you are not going to use it take it out and put somthing in there that will be used.

Ghoulish Delight
02-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by HowardBeale
Superstar Limo is every bit as good as 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh' --

In fact, I appreciate 'Superstar Limo' since it was an original idea -- it's colorful, fun, and kind of trippy.

Is it all that and a bag of chips?

certainly not.

But it's also not nearly as abyssmal as has been made out, either. Pooh has a wonderfully unique rain effect, a perfectly executed Pepper's Ghost effect, multiple high quality animated projections, and whimsical characters.

SSL has, ummm, blacklights and paint, insulting characatures of people I don't care about, an insulting characterization of the city I grew up in, and crass humor.

Sorry, I don't see the comparison.

tod
02-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Superstar Limo is perhaps my favorite ride in either park, because it's so bad. Not good-bad, but just plain awful. Stupid, mind-numbingly so. (To tell the truth, I like Peter Pan's Flight better, but the wait is so long I rarely go on it.)

There is one thing about Superstar Limo that cracks me up. One of the images in the ride was swiped directly from a Little Annie Fanny cartoon in Playboy. Every time I see it, it cracks me up, because I'm pretty sure that the Imagineer who swiped the image and I are the only people who know its provenance.

I can't wait to see it again.

--T

CaliforniaCrazy
02-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by tod
There is one thing about Superstar Limo that cracks me up. One of the images in the ride was swiped directly from a Little Annie Fanny cartoon in Playboy. Every time I see it, it cracks me up, because I'm pretty sure that the Imagineer who swiped the image and I are the only people who know its provenance.
--T

Can you tell us exactly where it is so when it reopens, we can have the pleasure of being in on the joke too? If you can't, at least drop a hint.

To be honest, I love Superstar Limo. It used to be my favorite attraction at DCA. Glad to see that they finally are just gonna go ahead and reopen it. I was beginning to think that all of the souvenirs that I have of the ride (yep, I even have the die-cast metal Limo still in the package) were going to remain in storage. :)

BJW
02-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the news CMs. I think I'll hold off on going to ride ToT until May 20th so I can kill two birds with one stone and ride both of these rides. I did enjoy this ride. It's every bit as good as any dark ride in Disneyland. It employs new technology with the on-board videophone. The ride is not supposed to be taken seriously. I think too many people road the ride expecting something with Indy-style effects and were dissapointed with a standard dark ride. Look at it this way, its DCAs only dark ride and this park desparately needs one. Also, a lot of the stuff is a gag and is meant to be taken as a joke. If you think of it with this mindset you'll enjoy the ride, as I did. In my opinion it's better than Winnie the Pooh because it has more humor, is a longer ride, and adds to the atmosphere of the Hollywood area.

I think the ride will be much more popular for many reasons. HPB didn't have half this attendance during this park's first year when the ride was originally operated. ToT and Aladdin are now in this area meaning a lot more people are there throughout the day. Just look at the attendance at Muppets and Animation, which have increased with Aladdin and Millionaire opening. Now add ToT to that. Millionaire is right next door and this ride will get a lot of people coming out of the exit. I would expect the line to be about the equivalent of Mulholland Madness (15 to 30 min.) on some days. (Should be interesting)

tod
02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaCrazy
Can you tell us exactly where [the image from "Little Annie Fanny"] is so when it reopens, we can have the pleasure of being in on the joke too? If you can't, at least drop a hint.

You know that if that information gets out, the image will disappear immediately. The TDA bunch has no sense of humor, and some of the Playboy lawyers are just as bad.

You can get an Ouija board and ask Harvey Kurtzman. ;)

--T