PDA

View Full Version : Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind aka Flik's Flyers

Berry Princess
06-22-2018, 01:07 PM
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/06/inside-out-emotional-whirlwind-to-open-in-2019-along-pixar-pier-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

So we already noticed it was another spinner type ride but seeing this it looks like they are just moving Flik's Flyers from Bug's Land with a makeover to Inside Out. SMH

olegc
06-22-2018, 04:48 PM
thats been the speculation by most bloggers and websites for a while.

candles71
06-22-2018, 08:32 PM
My family says if they are going to just move it, they should leave it Flik's. Bugslife is Pixar.

Berry Princess
06-22-2018, 08:55 PM
My family says if they are going to just move it, they should leave it Flik's. Bugslife is Pixar.

Agree with your family. I'm guessing they are hoping some may be fooled into thinking its a brand new ride being put in place and not a moved, re-themed ride. The theme of Inside Out could have been great for a new dark ride IMO. Could have done something like Small World style and had it like it was rivers of emotions or something...but heck what do I know. LOL I will forever hear the ride music for Flik's when I see this though.

olegc
06-23-2018, 05:54 AM
While I agree with most of the views here I see what Disney is trying to do - make it feel new. And for the most part it works. Many around the country have commented how this is "new" and they really want to see Pixar Pier like it was a new land. Folks believe it so it becomes popular in that vein. By reskinning the ride it makes it feel new to a majority of guests. And in 10 years no one will remember Bugsland or Fliks Flyers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cstephens
06-24-2018, 09:04 AM
The theme of Inside Out could have been great for a new dark ride IMO. Could have done something like Small World style and had it like it was rivers of emotions or something...but heck what do I know.

Yeah, that could work, but where would you put it? I'm also not sure how excited people are about dark rides these days. Little Mermaid got so many negative comments, and I think they did a terrific job, but many people seem to expect only E-ticket rides nowadays.

And in 10 years no one will remember Bugsland or Fliks Flyers.

It's funny to see the discussions about the Inside Out ride, and people discussing where it's going, and so many people asking "what's Maliboomer"?

Berry Princess
06-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Yeah, that could work, but where would you put it? I'm also not sure how excited people are about dark rides these days. Little Mermaid got so many negative comments, and I think they did a terrific job, but many people seem to expect only E-ticket rides nowadays.

It's funny to see the discussions about the Inside Out ride, and people discussing where it's going, and so many people asking "what's Maliboomer"?

I think it could have worked in the space there some how (build it like Pirates with the drops maybe) but obviously it means they would have to put money into it more then it would take to move and re-theme a ride from another land. If people really expect E-ticket rides in a Disney park they should rethink that logic since the parks are suppose to offer something for all....which Disneyland has always done but DCA has lacked. I think the negative on Little Mermaid was more so on how badly some of it looked. I know we enjoy it and the line can get pretty long when the parks are busy. I just know my daughter isn't a big thrill ride type and it took a lot to get her on certain rides as it is...especially Thunder Mtn and she still will only sit in the front. Then there is one of my boys that spinning rides is not for him but he loves thrill rides. So this re-themed Inside Out ride is not for him. It will be interesting to see if the line ends up longer for it with the change or if it ends up falling flat and shrinks to what it can be in Bug's Land after awhile.

LMAO at those asking what Maliboomer was. My 16 yr old remembers it and had said how he wishes he could have gone on it.

cstephens
06-24-2018, 09:45 AM
I think it could have worked in the space there some how (build it like Pirates with the drops maybe) but obviously it means they would have to put money into it more then it would take to move and re-theme a ride from another land.

I don't think an E-ticket ride or even a dark ride would fit in that space, which is why I asked the question. Yep, I'd love something more than just a re-purposed ride, but the situation has to be looked at realistically in terms of space available. You can't just shoehorn a ride into a space that's not big enough.

And that's not even taking into account the amount of time it would take to design and build a new ride. We're talking, what, 3 to 5 years? Could be they decided it was better to have something sooner rather than later. I have to admit that I'm surprised even the new carousel isn't going to open until next year, but then I don't know all the work that needs to go into making a ride, even when it's re-doing a ride.

Berry Princess
06-24-2018, 10:24 AM
I don't think an E-ticket ride or even a dark ride would fit in that space, which is why I asked the question. Yep, I'd love something more than just a re-purposed ride, but the situation has to be looked at realistically in terms of space available. You can't just shoehorn a ride into a space that's not big enough.

And that's not even taking into account the amount of time it would take to design and build a new ride. We're talking, what, 3 to 5 years? Could be they decided it was better to have something sooner rather than later. I have to admit that I'm surprised even the new carousel isn't going to open until next year, but then I don't know all the work that needs to go into making a ride, even when it's re-doing a ride.

With the carousel it looked like it was not just the re-theme to it but they were putting in new animals for guests to ride. So I can see why it would take longer on this one. The ones they had one it before couldn't just get a repaint to go with the theme of Jessie and her critters. Obviously they had to announce Bug's Land closing and the Inside Out ride at different times. This way give those that want to get in Bug's Land a few times before it closes the chance and it gives the time for them to dismantle, repaint, and get the area ready for it.

And I know they would never take away from their stores but there could have been ways to put a new ride in. Agree that an E-ticket wouldn't have worked in the space though. I know they can take time to build and put in with new compared to moving an old one to the spot. Yet its also cheaper to just move the old and re-theme as well.

I wonder though when they really started to think about doing the re-theme on the pier.

AnotherJenny
06-24-2018, 06:23 PM
I don't think they need another spinning ride right next to the swings. I wish they had saved the bumper cars, since that's more of a classic boardwalk ride.

Berry Princess
06-24-2018, 06:59 PM
I don't think they need another spinning ride right next to the swings. I wish they had saved the bumper cars, since that's more of a classic boardwalk ride.

I agree that we didn't need another spinning ride. Not just the swings right there but a little bit the other way and you have the carousel that spins around. Across the way another with the Golden Zephyr. So 4 spinning rides not far from each other. If they could have done the bumper cars so they weren't what we had in Bug's Land with the slowness then it would be better for sure. It would have fit a lot better with the classic boardwalk. One of those things I remember doing with my Grandparents since they lived in Santa Monica. :D

potzbie
06-24-2018, 10:40 PM
How about combining a carousel and Flick -- Would you like to ride an ant?
We could call it, "Ant-Man! The Ride!"
:)

Shortpix77
06-25-2018, 05:25 AM
I agree that it seems lazy to just re-theme an existing ride, but I am happy that Flik's Flyers is going to be saved. My 3YO daughter loves that damn ride. She's too small for the swings still, so having another ride that will work for her (when 4 are being removed from Bug's Land) is kind of a relief. When they announced the closing of Bug's Land, my first thought was that little kids will no longer be able to be entertained for a whole day in DCA. I still think that to an extent, but having Flik's as Emotional Whirlwind and bringing in a new carousel will at least help in that regard.

cstephens
06-25-2018, 09:09 PM
And I know they would never take away from their stores but there could have been ways to put a new ride in. Agree that an E-ticket wouldn't have worked in the space though.

So I was walking around the area again today. There are currently no stores in Pixar Pier, except for Knick's Knacks at the very top. When Bing Bong's opens, I guess that would be considered a store. That's it. As far as the space where the Inside Out ride is going, there is really nowhere to expand into. It's a boxed-in space. That area sits in one of the circular parts of the coaster track. The new Bing Bong sweets store is on the other side of the track, with steel support pylons in between. There are also steel support pylons behind the area because again, the coaster track surrounds that area. It's a limited, confined space, so I presume they're doing what they can in that space. If you look at the rest of the area, where Bing Bong's is going in, and the band shell and the games on the boardwalk, those are all sitting under the coaster and are boxed in as well. No room for a ride, and the steel supports would make tunneling under them almost impossible, or at the very least, very prohibitive.

And, this has been bugging me, I think it's incredibly unfair to say, well, I thought of this idea, don't know why they couldn't have thought of this idea. We don't know that they didn't. We don't know about the myriad ideas that Imagineers might have come up with that will never see the light of day. Just because we can only see what's being implemented doesn't meant we know all the ideas that were tossed around. I remember during some Indy event a few years ago, Tony Baxter showed a concept sketch of Indy that had the train going through it. It was amazing. But, it wasn't implemented, for whatever reason. But that doesn't mean Tony Baxter didn't come up with some fabulous ideas.

sjhanksaz
06-27-2018, 08:08 AM
I think the Chew Chew train can fit with an altered track under the California Screaming ride.

Save the Chew Chew

sjhanksaz
07-28-2018, 12:26 PM
Maybe if they run it at twice the speed it will be more thrilling