PDA

View Full Version : Reservations for ESPN Zone?

CarlieB
02-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Does anyone know if the DTD ESPN Zone takes dinner reservations, or is it more of a turn up and wait arrangement? I know it gets busy, especially at the weekend, and I'd rather not have to wait for hours (half to three quarters of an hour is okay, if you can sit at the bar;) )

sediment
02-19-2004, 04:01 PM
ESPN Zone - Anaheim
1545 Disneyland Drive
Anaheim, CA 92802
(714) 300-ESPN

I called (in case you are on the far side of the world). First-come, first-served.
I hate first-come, first served. Seems a lot easier for the restaurant, and great for the surrounding shops.

CarlieB
02-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Hey Sediment,

Thanks so much for calling:) I am, in fact, on the far side of the world (NZ), so that was really cool. I am often blown away by how nice people on these boards are:)

I too am not a fan of the first come, first served thing...it's a total hassle if you want to eat around 7 or 7:30pm, because the restaurant will be full with all the people who wanted to eat from 5:30 onwards, and (in my experience, anyway) you probably won't be able to get a table until after 9:30 sometime...

I am quite keen for our group to go to this place though. It will be for my brother's 20th birthday, and I think he'd love it there (we don't have anything like it here in NZ) Looks like we'll just have to grin and bear it.

sediment
02-19-2004, 04:30 PM
My thoughts:
1. It's an ok place. If there's a game on that you want to watch it is more fun. You can check if some NZ game is being broadcast somewhere. Rugby or Aussie Rules or something. Maybe they'll put one screen on just for you.
2. Arrive hungry but not famished. It will be a wait.
3. I don't know if they have the "hockey pucks": a little electronic device with lights you carry that the restaurant can activate when it's your turn. You can visit other DTD shops in the meantime. (Or, find a restaurant that will seat you.)
4. It's usually busy. I haven't seen it not busy. The bar is usually busy. If you can squeeze your party in, you can eat at the bar (don't know about your 20-year-old brother, though).
5. There are expensive games to play upstairs. Doesn't seem so expensive when you play, but plopping down $40 at first seems a bit shocking. I still have a card somewhere.
6. We're not all nice. You got lucky!

CarlieB
02-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have to admit, it's not top of my list of restaurants to eat in at DTD (I certainly haven't eaten there before) but I think my brother will really enjoy it. Re: your comment about the bar - our legal drinking age here is 18. I know it's 21 in California, but does that mean that you cannot even enter a bar if you're under 21, or is it okay if you don't drink, or are with your parents?

sediment
02-19-2004, 04:55 PM
No drinking. Period. Sorry. We're puritans.
You'll simply have to break the law and get a fake NZ ID.

CarlieB
02-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Hmmmm...no drinking's fine - he'll just have to deal with it. And I'm used to carrying ID round with me - I haven't been ID'd here for years (I'm 27) but get ID'd all the time in the States (it's kind of nice for the ego, if a hassle to carry my passport with me everytime I want a drink:D ) But if you're under 21, are you allowed in a bar,if you don't drink? r is the actual bar area off-limits too, until you're of age?

mousey_girl
02-19-2004, 05:58 PM
We always make ESPN Zone a part of our trips when we are spending the night at DLH. The pagers they give you when they put your name on the list to be seated only work INSIDE the building. We always head upstairs and play (boys play, I sit at the bar) while we wait. Hubby loves the fact that the games have beer holders.

experiment626
02-20-2004, 08:19 AM
I made reservations when we went in April.

sediment
02-20-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by experiment626
I made reservations when we went in April.

That was ten months ago. I called yesterday.

experiment626
02-20-2004, 09:19 AM
I meant when we went in January (6 weeks ago), but I also JUST MADE a reservation for our trip that is in April.

They do only have reservations during the week, so if you want to avoid the wait, make a reservation and go during the week, avoiding Friday - Sunday.

Try Calling 1-714-781-3463, this is the number I used. It is Disney Dining Reservations.

MontanaKC
02-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by CarlieB
Hmmmm...no drinking's fine - he'll just have to deal with it. And I'm used to carrying ID round with me - I haven't been ID'd here for years (I'm 27) but get ID'd all the time in the States (it's kind of nice for the ego, if a hassle to carry my passport with me everytime I want a drink:D ) But if you're under 21, are you allowed in a bar,if you don't drink? r is the actual bar area off-limits too, until you're of age?

Carlie -

I was there last June, during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The place was packed with Mighty Duck fans. There was a 2 hour wait for a table in the dining room, so we all piled into the bar area to wait for a table there.

I asked at the desk if I would be allowed to wait in the bar accompanied by my two daughters, ages 12 and 16. They didn't have a problem with it, and I saw other children in there as well.

We ended up with a dining table in the bar area and I liked it better than the several times we ate in the dining room.

One word of advice that I don't think anyone else here has mentioned: The portions are huge. I ordered an appetizer and a salad and it was way too much food for me. You might want to get a couple of items and share them all around.

Have a great time -

Kim

CarlieB
02-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Kim -

Thanks for that. It's good to know we should be able to wait in the bar, even if we do have some underage people in our party (I always try to be careful about things like this overseas, because sometimes laws are stricter than what I'm used to at home - certainly, ID is a bigger thing in the States than it is here).

sediment
02-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by experiment626
I meant when we went in January (6 weeks ago), but I also JUST MADE a reservation for our trip that is in April.

They do only have reservations during the week, so if you want to avoid the wait, make a reservation and go during the week, avoiding Friday - Sunday.

Try Calling 1-714-781-3463, this is the number I used. It is Disney Dining Reservations.

Well, that's interesting! Hmm, maybe since I called on Friday, they didn't take reservations, their assuming I wanted to eat that day.