PDA

View Full Version : Muppets in the park

hobo_n
02-18-2004, 05:47 PM
i read this quote on jim hill web page:

"Now we can finally dust off all those plans for all those great attractions and shows that Jim Henson himself had a hand in creating -- 'The Great Muppet Movie Ride,' 'Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor.' This deal is going to be huge for Disney's theme parks. Particularly Disney-MGM and DCA … Ohmigod! DCA! We can actually do 'Miss Piggy's Superstar Limo' now!? Trust me, Jim. This is gonna be great."

what do you think?

Germboy
02-19-2004, 02:05 AM
I take it that this is supposed to be sarcastic. If so, I agree.

I may be one of the only people on earth who doesn't see the logic of Disney buying Jim Henson. I think it is just terrible...both for the legacy of the Muppets and the legacy of Disney.

The situation with Jim Henson's Company, Pixar, George Lucas, Dreamworks, and others are all manifestations of Eisner's illness. I feel sad that Jim Henson's family are allowing themselves to be manipulated by Eisner's whims. Yes, I'm sure they have been wanting to join Disney for years (although not to be treated as poorly as they have by Disney so far). But it is the timing that is so telling.

As I've said so many times before, Walt Disney would be hopping mad at this point. The Walt Disney Company is not a children's company. It is not Barney. It is not Sesame Street, Romper Room, or the Electric Company. It is not Lambchop.

It is Disney.

Under Eisner, what buyout can we expect next? Pampers? MTV? With the fact that my parents (in their 70's) have all but given up on the once-magical Disney Company, we know darn well it won't be Polygrip or Ben Gay!!

bassett1976
02-19-2004, 05:31 AM
How about a ride centered around Animal driving?

Phydeaou
02-19-2004, 06:50 AM
The only thing that I am worried about with this acquisition is that the Muppets will be cheapened by Uncle Mike before he leaves. For some reason, the idea that Kermit and Piggy walking around as characters in DCA just seems wrong. I like Muppets3D, and I wouldn't mind seeing some more quality product with these characters. The issue is quality, though, not quantity. My concern is that we will be flooded with cheap Muppet merchandise that will be over the top.

As I type this, I keep having IHOP commercial flashbacks, and even though they may have hit a low point there, I don't want to see them skipping across that pond.

The Walt Disney Company is not a children's company. While I don't disagree with you entirely, I think there is something to be said about the childlike innocence that is (was) the reason that many people, myself included, go to DL. It's part of the reason that I haven't been to Magic Mountain in over a decade, the attitude and overall feel is different at DL.

Germboy
02-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Phydeaou
While I don't disagree with you entirely, I think there is something to be said about the childlike innocence that is (was) the reason that many people, myself included, go to DL. It's part of the reason that I haven't been to Magic Mountain in over a decade, the attitude and overall feel is different at DL.

I think we agree completely. Walt Disney stood for concepts that all ages cherished. There was no "dumbing down" (Playhouse Disney, for instance), because Walt entertained "children of ALL ages." That's why you are able to appreciate, as an adult, the various innuendos at POC, while as a kid, they flew right over your head.

And I agree with the idea of Muppet characters walking around the park being a hideous idea. I recently saw pictures of an overgrown Miss Piggy at DCA and it almost made me nauseated. Why don't they also throw in Fred Flintstone, Big Bird, Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny, and every other character from every other studio? It's obvious to me that the Disney Company has lost its way.

oregonzooron
02-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Walt Disney did believe in entertaining children of all ages.

So did Jim Henson. The Muppets began, in fact, as a fifteen-minute late night feature for adults. Some of Henson's best work were the bits done on Saturday Night Live. In point of fact, the Muppets themselves were a prime time family show, with lots of entertainment value for adults as well as kids.

The movies, particularly the first one, are celebrations of what makes the child in all of us. They are no more "kids movies" than are the best Disney animated films.

Yes, Henson did wonderful work specifically for kids as well. Those characters are not being bought by Disney. Big Bird, Elmo, Oscar and Bert & Ernie are already safely in the hands of Sesame Workshop.

That being said, I also don't beleive the Muppets belong in Disneyland. But I can see them fitting into DCA.

Then again, I also don't care for those other non-Disney characters that have taken over Critter Country.

see you at the zoo

ron

adriennek
02-19-2004, 05:18 PM
RE: WDC not being a children's company.

When was the last time you saw an episode of the Muppet Show? We got a collection of episodes for ourselves for Christmas. Fun-ny stuff. They aren't just for little children.

Adrienne

Germboy
02-19-2004, 05:45 PM
You ARE right. The Muppets aren't necessarily for children only.

I guess I'm just aggravated because Disney is an institution. The Muppets are an institution. I just have a hard time accepting that they will now be joined. Kind of ruins a part of my childhood I guess.

Sort of like saying "When your baby teeth fall out, save them all year and Santa Claus will now collect them on Christmas Eve from under your pillow." Both traditions are still there, it just doesn't feel right.

That, coupled with my hunch that this is a successful manipulation for an Eisner trying to exact revenge on Pixar. It wasn't enough to try to stab Steve Jobs by touting WDC's deal with Microsoft. Eisner essentually went on to USE one of the only franchises that is willing to work with him (Henson) and arranged for it to happen before Roy and Stanley got to them.