PDA

View Full Version : Parking Question - We Were Not Charged

cmpeter
02-18-2004, 04:38 PM
We went to Disneyland last night...really just for dinner. We arrived at 4:00pm and they didn't charge us to park. That was a pretty cool perk. Does anyone know if there are specific guidelines for what time of day they let you park for free? Can I plan on it happening every weekday at 4:00 ish during the off season? Or, was it just dumb luck? And, I know...I should buy a parking pass...I just never remember when I am there.

Morrigoon
02-18-2004, 04:41 PM
They seem to pull parking lot CMs at a certain point in the night when I guess it's no longer profitable. I don't know what time that is though.

lindyhop
02-18-2004, 07:52 PM
It depends on when the parks close. Yesterday DCA closed at 6:00 so the toll booths closed that early. (I asked my "in-house" source.)

cmpeter
02-18-2004, 08:37 PM
lindyhop...so if the parks close at 6:00 and 8:00, like they did yesterday...do you think that means they pull the parking CMs at 4:00 on a regular basis?

Kevy Baby
02-18-2004, 09:05 PM
I don't have insider info, but I can tell you from my own experience of frequently arriving late in the day that it is usually around 2 hours before DCA closes (which is usually 2-3 hours B4 DL closes). At that point, most of the people coming in (at least to the parking structure) are APs.

If you are planning on just going to DTD for dinner, you can park in DTD's own parking lot (north of DTD, south of the parking structure) for up to 4 hours for no charge with validation.

Not Afraid
02-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
If you are planning on just going to DTD for dinner, you can park in DTD's own parking lot (north of DTD, south of the parking structure) for up to 4 hours for no charge with validation.

It is 3 hours w/o validation and 5 hour with validation. :geek:

Kevy Baby
02-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Wow, two corrections in a row (another thread). I'm just gonna stop posting!

:crying:

Not Afraid
02-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
Wow, two corrections in a row (another thread). I'm just gonna stop posting!

:crying:

No you won't.;)

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-19-2004, 12:01 AM
I've had two seperate occasions where we weren't asked to pay when leaving the DTD lot. There was just an exit with no attendant.

Durliin
02-19-2004, 12:17 AM
I remember back in the Day when I worked in the parking lot at the Lion King Tolls on a weekday we would close the tolls 3 hours before park closing and thats when all the passholders without the parking pass would come in becasue they didnt have to pay... sometimes the lead would ask us if we wanted to extend out to keep the tolls open just an extra hour becasue by that time noone would be coming in as a regular guest jst the APs with out the parking pass.. the would get soo mad at us saying things like its 5 pm your suposed to be closed so we dont have to pay and we would tell them nicely that we can close at anytime even all the way up until park closing just like the ticket booths and told them to avoid this problem in the future they can go add a parking pass to there AP and get a 7 dollar refund for the parking they payed today...

Dlandmom
02-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Durliin
the would get soo mad at us saying things like its 5 pm your suposed to be closed so we dont have to pay and we would tell them nicely that we can close at anytime even all the way up until park closing just like the ticket booths and told them to avoid this problem in the future they can go add a parking pass to there AP and get a 7 dollar refund for the parking they payed today...

Things like that just continue to give AP's a bad rap. Why can't they just be happy with that small "perk" they have?! Give 'em an inch, they'll take 100 miles!

cmpeter, if all you're doing is eating, or maybe wanting to have a quick stroll through the Park, just park at Downtown Disney. You just can't beat it. I have parking with my AP, but I still park at DD most of the time since I usually go for just a few hours with my daughter...and believe me, Disney ain't losin' a penny the way I spend inside the Park!

lindyhop
02-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by cmpeter
lindyhop...so if the parks close at 6:00 and 8:00, like they did yesterday...do you think that means they pull the parking CMs at 4:00 on a regular basis?

Something like that. The later the park stays open, the later they keep the toll booths staffed.

But the DTD lot is another option if you're not staying long.

(The free parking is almost my favorite part of the Premium AP. I remember the many years parking was just 50 cents...)

innerSpaceman
02-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Oh the "free" (seeming) parking is absolutely my favorite part of the premium AP.

Without it, I would visit the resort exactly Never.

pixiedust123
02-20-2004, 01:22 AM
It all depends on how late the castmemberss are scheduled, which is related to when the parks close and how busy it is. :) I still can't figure out for the life of me the equation they use to determine the time they destaff the toll booths. (yay.. i created my own word I think)

One thing that is driving me insane... later on in the day, a lot of times, the cast member has to work both sides of the toll booth. If for some reason they are helping the guest on the other side from where you pull up, please DO NOT just take off. Most times it will only take a few moments to help the other person, and it is seriously bothersome to the cast member. There is a counter in the lane, and it needs to keep semi-accurate numbers that are synched up with the computer. I have seen many people stopped and made to go back because they decided they didn't have the patience to wait a few moments for the cast member to help them.

Tutter
02-20-2004, 06:41 AM
I used the Mickey and friends parking lot in November at around 4pm (I was going shopping in downtown disney) and I didn't get charged.

There were CMs about but I was waved right through.

lindyhop
02-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Oh the "free" (seeming) parking is absolutely my favorite part of the premium AP.

The cost of the premium AP covers parking for just about 30 visits. Then on top of that you get the parks for free. Such a deal!