PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Golden Horseshoe

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Ok, who wants to help me dispel some ignorance?

I know nothing about the Golden Horseshoe, which is odd considering I have been to Disneyland about 50 times. We always pass it and wonder what the deal is. I'm assuming that there is a show inside and yet I never see anyone waiting. Is it a dinner theater type of thing? Is it worth seeing? What all can you tell me?

I know this sounds horribly naive but I'm counting on the padders to give me the inside scoop. Thanks in advance!

Ghoulish Delight
02-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Currently there is one show that plays at the Golden Horse Shoe. It's called "Billy Hill and the Hill Billys" and it's so very worth it. It's about 20 minutes, and just tons of fun. There is food, but it's counter service, so you are not requried to eat, but the chili in a bread bowl is fabulous. Next time you go, catch the show, you won't be disappointed.

CarlieB
02-18-2004, 02:45 PM
The Golden Horseshoe is one of my favourite places at DL. We always make time to catch a show (or 2) there - these days we always see Billy Hill & the Hillbillies at least a couple of times each visit. It's an old fashioned theatre, beautifully themed, with a food counter where you can get pretty much the usualy DL fare: cheeseburgers, fries, chilli fries, hotdogs, etc. We tend to catch a lunchtime show and have lunch while we're there. The doors open maybe 25 minutes before the show starts, so you go in, get a table (I like to sit upstairs at the front of the balcony), grab some food and watch the show. I wouldn't miss this tradition of ours for the world now:)

Andrew
02-18-2004, 03:01 PM
The chili cheese fries at the Golden Horseshoe are TDF. It's much better chili than is sold at Coke Corner and the fries are fresher too.

Sadly, although they share a kitchen, you cannot buy the Golden Horseshoe chili cheese fries at the Stage Door Cafe, so you need to make sure you get to the Horseshoe when they're open and serving food--generally in the half-hour to 45 minutes before each Billy Hill show.

adriennek
02-18-2004, 03:18 PM
They've also had thos huge pieces of chocolate cake (like 4-5 layer cake) with chocolate chips on the outside instead of walnuts (good news when you're allergic to walnuts like we are!)

But the best reason to go to the GH is for Billy. He makes my heart go pitter-pat....

"One's like snow, the other's more like...... milk" SWOOOOOOON!

Adrienne

Andrew
02-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
But the best reason to go to the GH is for Billy. He makes my heart go pitter-pat....

"One's like snow, the other's more like...... milk" SWOOOOOOON! Got Milk? (http://www.project-insomnia.com/sounds/gotmilk.wav)

So I miss all the /sound action in IRC. So sue me (http://www.project-insomnia.com/sounds/sosumi.wav).

BryanPeek
02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
I love the show and the food isn't bad either. I thought the chili was great.

MickeyLumbo
02-18-2004, 03:44 PM
the first three decades of the Golden Horseshoe Revue, featured Slew Foot Sue, Wally Boag, and a western themed revue featuring Can-Can girls and a four piece "orchestra". ahh, those were the days.:(

02-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Fun thread.

In all the times I've been to DL, never once have I set foot in the Golden Horseshow.

adriennek
02-18-2004, 03:55 PM
3894-

You MUST go if for no other reason than Billy will inspire you. I promise.

Adrienne

Morrigoon
02-18-2004, 04:01 PM
About 1/3 of the way down this page (http://www-scf.usc.edu/~clamb/31403_2.htm) you'll find pictures of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.

Lost Boy
02-18-2004, 07:06 PM
History Lesson Time. When Disneyland opened, The Golden Horsehoe had a real full live-stage show. Sleu Foot Slew (sp) (and I just can't remember her real name although I knew it when I started writing this - short term memory loss) was the lady who ran the place and comedian extraordinaire, Wally Boag was Pecos Bill (at least in one bit they alway did). Plus the Can Can girls and a live 4 piece band. Funniest show on Earth. It holds the record as the longest running stage show in history anywhere in the world.
The theater itself also has a very interesting true story. When Walt Disney was planning Frontierland, he wanted a real old frontier-style saloon - with a stage show. So he called up a true Genious, Harper Goff who was helping with the design of Disneyland. Now Harper had been working over at another studio before joining Disney, and one of the movies he worked on was Doris Day's "Calamity Jane" (her best movie - for me anyway) and in that movie is a Saloon with a live stage show. Harper had designed that theater, so he went back and got the plans and blueprints and, viloa The Golden Horsehoe was born at Disneyland. If you watch the movie, and I highly recommend it - great music and a fun story, take a close look at the saloon. Then go take a look at The Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland. They are the same theater in looks and design. Only the one in the movie was larger, had more doors leading off the entry lobby, but the stage and bar area are the same.

Morrigoon
02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Didn't Harper Goff also do the set designs for Music Man? Main Street, USA bears an incredible resemblance to that set style.

merlinjones
02-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Walt Disney's Golden Horseshoe Revue was a dynamic, engaging and hilarious visit to old time burlesque and vaudeville of the Wild West.

Slue Foot Sue was lookin' for a Big City Beau, her Golden Horseshoe girls kicked up a mean Can-Can, an Irish tenor sang a love ballad and presented the Girls of the Police Gazette... and Pecos Bill performed an interactive comedy routine. The entire show transported one back to another era of corn and camp and rootin'-tootin' fun. Sadly, the show was killed some years ago by the more modern and politically correct Jamboree, then by a series of lower-budget and less ambitious filler acts.

I await the day the saloon is again filled with the sounds of laughter and Can-Can whoops. For the 50th anniversary, I hope.

I can't see why not.

Matt?

Lost Boy
02-18-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't know about the Music Man, but I do know that he had a lot to do with the look of Disneyland. And he was a problem solver. He fixed problems in very innovative and unique ways. I recomend very highly the fairly new DVD release of Walt Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Not only is the movie shown in the original Road Show version, but it's been cleaned and restored to mint quality. But the real treasure on this 2 disc set is the brand new documentary on the making of this film It's almost as long as the movie and just a joy to watch. You will hear the name Harper Goff many times during this documentary and by the end you will have learned about a man who was just an incredible genius. Wait until you see how it was Goff who saved the scene where the Nautilus goes thru that cavern to Nemo's hidden base. And there is so much more. But, the Golden Horsehoe Saloon is one tangible, real building that you can walk into, touch and compare to the movie version of practically the same thing in Clamity Jane. After watching this documentary I have such a deep respect for this gentleman. If I am not mistaken, his window is in Adventureland above the Bazaar at the top of the stairs.

Wanda Woman
02-19-2004, 09:36 AM
I loved the old Horseshoe show! Fulton Burley, Betty Taylor, and Wally Boag were the best!

Here's a link to a great recap of the show from MP's Al Lutz archive:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/ghr.htm

BrerFox
02-19-2004, 10:20 AM
going to DL in april. What are the show times? Sounds really good :)
also,
never been on the Mark Twian, Tiki room, or pooh.
Hope I haven't sinned too badly by missing these attractions :(

Matterhorn Fan
02-19-2004, 02:27 PM
BrerFox--You MUST visit the Tiki Room. Get a Dole Whip on the way in. (I also think you must go on the Mark Twain, but I'll pick my battles. :D)

CarlieB
02-19-2004, 02:33 PM
3894 - You MUST go if for no other reason than Billy will inspire you. I promise.

I totally agree:) (now awaiting a Billy Hill signature...:D )

Morrigoon
02-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Does anyone else just LOVE their new Beatles bit? I mean, the Elvis thing was cute, but they really make great Beatles, especially Elvis (Paul?) Billy. Also, the two new guys are doing a great job developing and exhibiting their own characters. I like the way they're doing Orangeblossom special better now too.

CarlieB
02-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Morrigoon: I agree, the Beatles-inspired part of the show is very good. We caught it during the second show we saw on our last visit, and really enjoyed it. It's good to see some new material (as well as the old favourites):)

PapiBear
02-19-2004, 04:33 PM
THIS (http://www.jansworld.net/golden_horseshoe_pages/gh_main_page.htm) is the complete and total lowdown on the Golden Horseshoe Saloon, from 1954 to the present day, and THIS (http://www.jansworld.net/golden_horseshoe_pages/gh_revue.htm) is the best site showing the history of the original Golden Horseshoe Revue (1955-1986), with LOTS of photos (just amazing stuff!).

Bruce Bergman
02-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Dennis Lindsay's Area 51 (http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/wb6uce/area51.html) is a good place to find out about the Billys, as is Jan's World (http://www.jansworld.net/billy_hill/1_billy_hill_main_page.htm)

They do 5 shows a day, unless it's raining - then they move the "Very Merry Birthdays" show in and take over one slot.

Go on different days - as you can see by the different "teams" they rotate cast members through the week, and they mix up different songs and skits with the different cast memebers. Sundays and Mondays had the "Devil went down to Georgia" mini-production number last I checked.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--