PDA

View Full Version : Close your eyes, plug your ears, and smell....

Pages : [1] 2

rexfarms
10-10-2001, 03:42 PM
We have covered the sights and sound of Disneyland, but what about the smells? I love Splash Mountain, Indy, and Main Street. How 'bout ya'll?

10-10-2001, 04:07 PM
I can't resist an offbeat thread!

Riverbelle Terrace at pancake time.

ishthroat
10-10-2001, 04:25 PM
Hands down Blue Ribbon Bakery/Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor!

Morrigoon
10-10-2001, 05:34 PM
no fake, pumped smells for me!

I'll take the smell of the popcorn carts, combined with the sound of a sweeper using a metal dustpan (you know the sound- clunk, scraaaape, clunk)

For some reason the two images go hand in hand for me. Probably because they are heard/smelled along major thoroughfares.

FEJ
10-10-2001, 06:05 PM
no fake, pumped smells for me! I'll take the smell of the popcorn carts, combined with the sound of a sweeper using a metal dustpan (you know the sound- clunk, scraaaape, clunk)

If I'm not mistaken, The Popcorn Carts have fans to "Pump" out the smell, along with the Candy shop.

One of my most memorable smells, though it is not a pleasant one, comes from deep in the caves of Tom Sawyers Island. I think you know the one...:(

DisneylandBoy
10-10-2001, 06:28 PM
I LOVE the smell of Splash Mountain and Pirates! And the Candy shop! Oh WOW! And of course, the churros! Anytime I smell churros, I think of Disneyland.

Morrigoon
10-10-2001, 06:35 PM
Yeah, but the candy shop and Gibson Girl use fake smells. Vanilla for the candy shop (except at xmas when they use peppermint) and "wafflecone" for the gibson girl. You don't *need* to fake popcorn, it's strong enough as it is.

That's also why the wafflecone scent is really strong at times, and less strong at others, despite the almost constant production of fresh wafflecones.

FEJ
10-10-2001, 06:51 PM
I stand corrected.

Ozymandius
10-10-2001, 07:22 PM
Actually to tell you the truth, I like the smell of the caverns in The Pirates of the Carribean, everytime I smell it or something similar on the outside I can't help but think of it...

The scent of the incense in Indiana Jones adventure, during the ride.

Ozy

BiggJakeMoney
10-10-2001, 08:43 PM
I love the smell of Indy as well. I'm not sure what the smell is exactly, but it has a propane type smell, or some other fuel. It may come from those little air jets that shoot out at various points in the main chamber to simulate the lava smell.

I've noticed the parking lot trams have a similar smell too. Maybe an all-purpose fuel or something?

-BJM

FEJ
10-10-2001, 08:56 PM
I do like the tram smell.. how about the dampness of the submarines? anyone remeber that smell?

tabacco
10-10-2001, 09:20 PM
Maybe the trams are like the candy shop ;)

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandius

The scent of the incense in Indiana Jones adventure, during the ride.

I belive that it is like the smoke from trains, its an oil that they burn that produces a long lasting low flying cloud of smoke. And it has a smell like that, but it isn't insense. They use to have it in the dip room in the queue of roger rabbit. It smells good for a while but without a christmas tree it seems rahther flat to me.

FEJ
10-10-2001, 09:52 PM
Touche' Tabacco:D

beanpole
10-10-2001, 09:59 PM
Man oh man, nothing beats the smell of fresh diesel exhaust in the morning. It's a smell that I find everywhere in attractions throughout the park. For example, as your bobsled is climbing up the dark tunnel in the Matterhorn, inhale deeply. MMMmm Mmmmm! Diesel fumes! Whenever I smell diesel exhaust outside of the park, I instantly think of Disneyland and smile.

My other favorite smell, as others have discussed, is the smell of heavily chlorinated and chemically treated water. I really do love that smell. POTC provides heavy doses of the scent, as does the Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain's interiors.

Nigel2
10-10-2001, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by beanpole
For example, as your bobsled is climbing up the dark tunnel in the Matterhorn, inhale deeply. MMMmm Mmmmm! Diesel fumes! .

That is odd, I wonder what causes the desel fumes in there? But you cant say there are desiel fumes from the trams anymore now they use that natural gas (I think) so they smell bad. Does autopia use desiel anymore?

BiggJakeMoney
10-10-2001, 11:27 PM
Diesel fumes, good for two things: reminding us all of Disneyland, and lowering our I.Q. about 63 notches when inhaled deeply.

:D

-BJM

Cadaverous Pallor
10-11-2001, 02:32 PM
Pirates, hands down. Whenever I walk into a musty room I think of Pirates. I visited a tomb in Italy and the smell brought me back to Disneyland! :)

Although I'm not one to knock candy smells.

mad4mky
10-11-2001, 02:41 PM
I too like the smell of Pirates....the damp, musty smell. That and mixed with the sounds of the boats and water totally immerses you in the whole theme of the area nad ride.

I hate the smells at Autopia...all the gas fumes. And the train, as it goes by Small World, it always has an "off" diesel kind of smell to me. Ick.

Largent81
10-11-2001, 03:37 PM
At our old apartments the entry way smelled like the POTC Caverns. Especially when they were cleaned or right after a big rain/snow. It made me feel at home away from home. I wonder what the people who live there now would think if I went and sat on their doorstep just to smell for a little while?

Any water ride at disney is my favorite smell. But Pirates is my favorite. :D

awinner
10-11-2001, 11:17 PM
Our guest room, when it gets damp outside, reminds me of POTC, I love that comforting smell. Anyone want to sleep over?

beanpole
10-13-2001, 12:22 AM
Another DL scent that I love: the wood smell inside CBJ's waiting area and the Frontierland stores. There's a slight dusty flavor - and a lingering mildew aftertaste too - all vintage Disney.

Such is the absurdity of being a human being living in this century. Diesel isn't fun. Chlorine isn't fun. Musky, dank caverns aren't really much fun. But Disneyland is fun, and all of these smells remind us of it. Thus, these smells become primal triggers for feelings of comfort, happiness and.... fun.

jslivinski
10-19-2001, 09:46 AM
Popcorn - the smell of fresh, hot, salty popcorn.

blusilva
10-19-2001, 05:08 PM
Pirates. I'd like to say there's no other smell like it in the world, but I know for a fact that Puerto Vallerta smells just like it. ;)

And the smell of The Primeval World! Actually any of the train tunnels. Something about the steam and the tunnel...it's a very peculiar, but comforting smell.

bandboy1985
10-20-2001, 03:23 PM
Aaaah! Riverbelle Terrace~ yum! But my favorite DL smell of all would have to be the smell that came out of the old "La Patisserie" or The Pastry Window in NOS. They used to make this one waffle called the "mascarade"- with white and milk chocolate, and when they made them and the smell floated out, you immediately wanted one even if you weren't hungry! ;)