PDA

View Full Version : Yum! The DL Churro Thread...

CarlieB
02-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Churros! Do you love 'em? Think they're okay? Don't get what all the fuss is about?

I love them, but I have fairly strict churro rules...for some reason, I never eat them during the day. They just don't appeal then. But there's nothing better than a nice warm churro at nighttime, while you're strolling through the park. I tried the dipping sauces last year, and they were okay, but I definitely prefer my churro "as is". How about you?

MotorBoat Cruiser
02-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Ok, this pains me to say, and it is only my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree but...

I enjoy churros from time to time but I don't really like the ones in the park. I don't know if I have just had bad luck but everytime I order one, it tends to be cold and/or slightly stale. They just never seem fresh. This surprises me as I assume the turnover rate must be pretty good, considering some of the lines that I have seen.

mamabot
02-18-2004, 03:06 PM
It has been forever since I have had a churro at the park. I am more of a popcorn girl. There is nothing like fresh popcorn at Disneyland.

disneydreams
02-18-2004, 03:32 PM
I love churros!!!

I usually like eating them in the late afternoon, around sunset. That's usually when I'm up for one. I sometimes eat them during the day (sometimes in the morning). I just sit around eating a churro from the churro ODV in front of HM at like 5:30, before we actually go to HM with our FP :D

I've never tried any of the dipping sauces and don't plan to do so. I like 'em when they're just dipped into the cinnamon, so they're hot and fresh. It's a good way to kill time while waiting in line for the Matterhorn. If I'm really in the churro mood, or feel like a churro (don't ask), I usually go back and get a second one. :D

I tend to try to get every single speck of cinnamon off of the wax paper after I'm done with the churro.

Sometimes I feel like eating a churro, but I can't cuz I'd have a sore throat and then when I go ahead and eat one, it irritates my throat. :| :D

Cadaverous Pallor
02-18-2004, 04:39 PM
hmmm......churro, popcorn, or pretzel.....churro, popcorn, or pretzel....

Usually popcorn, churro if I'm not that hungry, pretzel if I'm extra hungry. No dipping churros, no mustard on pretzels.

That popcorn smell drives me nuts! :D

CarlieB
02-18-2004, 04:42 PM
CP, have you tried the honey flavoured popcorn they sell near the Pooh ride? Kept meaning to try it last time (it smells so good) but never got round to it:rolleyes:

David R
02-18-2004, 04:44 PM
In all my years of going to Disney parks, I have never had a churro.

Well, not a Disney churro. I grew up in Spain where churros are fairly common (the real ones are thinner, shorter, and you get several on a plate or paper cone) so I'm afraid of trying these "fake" ones and ruin my childhood memories.

DisneyFan25863
02-18-2004, 06:12 PM
I LOVE DL Churros. But I was disappointed in my last 2 visits to the park in the quality of them. They taste different. I think I may start converting to pretzles. :|

CarlieB
02-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Do they sell churros at DCA? I don't think I've ever noticed them there...

Olivia G
02-18-2004, 06:42 PM
They do sell churros at DCA.. Last time I was there they had one over by GRR..

David, you have got to try a churro.

Darkbeer
02-18-2004, 06:52 PM
I am sorry, the state of California knows that a REAL Churro is much better than what Disneyland serves, which is a Frozen Reheated Dough Stick..... We got a new law on the first of the year to allow the cooking of FRESH Churros in CA.....:fez:

When in Disneyland, enjoy FRESH, which is POPCORN, or if in DtD, Wetzel's Pretzels....

Avoid the FRDS.... as others have mentioned earlier... BLAH!

BrerFox
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
My friend ate 18 Churros! 18! :rolleyes:

I had one in TL, *shudder* :( So.....very....stale!
You'd think Tomarrowland would have an advace system to keep them fresh.
(even if they were frozen when they got to the park :p )

My dad has about 5 boxes of popcorn.
(I love watchin' that little Yettie making my popcorn :fez: )

Me. All about pretezls.

Biscuit
02-19-2004, 01:03 PM
We don't have Churros here in NZ, so I really miss 'em! I thought they were really awesome when I had my first one...I bought it on smell alone.

Man, I wish I'd tried the pretzels (I had a great time discovering different foods when I was in the US)...I didn't discover pretzels until San Diego (after Disney). Yummm. Definitely trying Disney pretzels next time!

CarlieB
02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey Biscuit (from a fellow Kiwi), where in NZ are you? If you're anywhere near Wellington, The Flying Burrito Brothers has churros on their dessert menu:)

danyoung
02-19-2004, 02:03 PM
I love the churros rolled in the strawberry stuff. My only problem is getting the wrapping paper out of the way. More than once I've taken a nice big bite of paper!

As to the popcorn, I've gotten spoiled by my movie theater's popcorn, and the fact that they let you butter and salt your own. Getting popcorn from the cart with no way to doctor it up just doesn't taste right anymore.

PhilMP
02-19-2004, 04:59 PM
You can doctor up the popcorn...with salt!!! :)

The reason churros go stale is lack of heat. This is why many vendors place the churros they haven't sold yet on the holding tray in front of the conveyor belt. The heat from the oven keeps the churros somewhat warm, an improvised chafing dish so to speak.

If you really want a hot, fresh churro, it's pretty much guaranteed when you stand in a long churro line. Either the vendor is cooking churros too slowly and everybody's getting a fresh one, or the vendor is selling them as fast as they drop from the oven, and you'll get a fresh one. However, wait until the line builds up, or you might be unlucky enough to get a churro from the vendor's stockpile, and they might be cold and stale. :)

Phil

NirvanaMan
02-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Never had one.

Kevy Baby
02-19-2004, 05:36 PM
I used to like the Churros as DL, but I agree with others that they seem to have gone downhill in the last couple of years.

On a similar subject, GusGus really misses the freshly spun cotton candy from the cart that used to be near the entrance to the castle. You always had to wait, but it was (according to her) MUCH better than the pre-packaged stuff.

Kevy Baby
02-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Note to self: stop getting involved in food discussion threads right before mealtime.

danyoung
02-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by PhilMP
You can doctor up the popcorn...with salt!!! :)

It's just not the same if it's not drowning in butter (mmmmm, butter, aaaauuuugggghhhhhhhhh).