PDA

View Full Version : Wynham Cancelled, how about [Hampton Inn]?

THE REF
02-17-2004, 02:55 PM
We cancelled the wyndham per your alls advice.
Now looking at a Hampton Inn in Arcadia off of I 210. This will put us about 10 miles from NBC Studios. How's the area? Would we be better off than Commerce?
I want to stay away from the Universal and Hollywood area to avoid the higher rates and the parking fees added in. Don't mind the extra drive as we will be in this area only 2 days then head south towards Buena Park area.

tod
02-17-2004, 08:34 PM
You may be unfamiliar with just how really, really big the Los Angeles area is. (For example, if you just want to be close to NBC in Burbank, there are several nice hotels -- including a Hilton -- and motels much closer than Arcadia, which is certainly a nice bedroom community. You could do worse.

If you delineate what you want to see, we might be able to help you better.

--T

Forbin
02-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Exactly...10mins Freeway...30 mins from Freeway to where you want to go...total time 40mins.

You might want to stay in Burbank or Glendale if you are going to NBC Studios.

While you are there you can look at the gates to BV/Disney studios. It's nice.

THE REF
02-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by tod
You may be unfamiliar with just how really, really big the Los Angeles area is. (For example, if you just want to be close to NBC in Burbank, there are several nice hotels -- including a Hilton -- and motels much closer than Arcadia, which is certainly a nice bedroom community. You could do worse.

If you delineate what you want to see, we might be able to help you better.

--T

I guess you missed the point of my post. The closer you get to the area you mentioned the higer the rates then tack on a parking charge. I don't mind the extra drive and never had a problem with anything out of the ordinary on our two previous trips to LA.
We'll just sleep on the corner of Hollywood and Vine with some other locals with a hat and a guitar on the sidewalk. How's the area? :D

Brian Noble
02-18-2004, 04:37 AM
If you don't particularly care much about precisely where you stay, and you are very concerned about price, you might be an excellent candidate for priceline.

tjrj
02-18-2004, 06:25 AM
The Ref-so, you're saying that you don't mind spending much of the day on the freeways? I know the 210 quite well-raised in Glendale/Burbank area. Depending on the time of day, 40 minutes on a GOOD day for the Arcadia/Burbank run and more than that for Universal.

If one is going against the flow of traffic the 134/210 is relatively open-meaning-I'm no good at east/west-but Burbank to Arcadia in the am and reverse that in the pm. But the reverse can be bumper to bumper.

On the plus side, Arcadia is a nice area-much, much better than Commerce.

You've checked hotels in Burbank-away from the airport? At the airport I would expect parking fees etc. but not away from it.

And the priceline thing might be a really good idea.

Brian Noble
02-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Take a look at http://biddingfortravel.com for the inside skinny on getting the best deal possible out of priceline.

Disclaimer: I care very much where I stay, so I have never used priceline. But, many swear by it.

Dlandmom
02-18-2004, 07:34 AM
It sounds like you need a relatively inexpensive place that's between Universal and Disney.

Although I've never stayed at any of these places, I've driven by them many times (my parents' house is nearby).

There's a Hilton Garden Inn (most inexespensive Hilton) in Montebello at the golf course off the 60 freeway at the Garfield/Wilcox exit.

Two exits past that, at the Rosemead Blvd. exit, you have a Doubletree (I think...it changes ownership from time to time), a Holiday Inn Express, and a Motel 6. I'm sure the Motel 6 will be in your price range (probably about $50 a night). I don't know how "nice" it is inside, but it's definitely cheap and in an okay area. There's a Coco's restaurant next door.

The Doubletree and Holiday Inn are across from the Montebello Town Center mall.

These are all about 35 minutes from Disneyland (not during traffic) and about the same to Universal (again, not during traffic).

Forbin
02-18-2004, 08:57 AM
How about you do this, post what you are paying and which hotel it is and we can point you to a cheaper/nicer hotel in Burbank/Glendale?

THE REF
02-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Forbin
How about you do this, post what you are paying and which hotel it is and we can point you to a cheaper/nicer hotel in Burbank/Glendale?

We can get the Hampton in Arcadia for 80 clams a night. Don't want the motel 6 variety chains.

spectromen
02-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Arcadia is a lot nicer than Commerce, so that's definitely a step up. But personally, I'd stay in Anaheim the whole time. You'll feel much more like you're on a real vacation rather than just tooling around LA suburbs!

$80/night might be decent for a Hampton Inn, but there are MUCH better deals out there. Definitely do Priceline. Select 3 stars, and check as many areas as you can handle. Hampton, I think, is 2 stars so if you bid $49 for a 3-star and get it, you're already way ahead.

If you want the Hampton because of Hilton HHonors points, keep in mind that the Anaheim Hilton often has rates of $71-80 (which is the only time I stay there!)

Also, select Studio City on Priceline. That'll give you a great chance at getting the Sheraton Universal or Universal Hilton.

Forbin
02-19-2004, 12:02 PM
What do you get for $80? 1 bed? 2? Suite? Arcadia is ok but it is too far from Burbank, in fact you have to go through 3 cities to get there as well as traffic. Arcadia, Pasadena, Eagle Rock, Glendale, Burbank...phew.

Lets See Best one I found there was

Homestead Village Burbank - 15 mins streets to NBC
$89
Suite
Kitchen
High Speed Internet (Call Ahead)

Holiday Inn Burbank (This is a BIG Hotel)
$119

Days Inn Glendale (Not as big)
$69

Those are the big ones that I remember offhand and are larger chains, and are still good. The Homestead is the win if you have children or like to cook your own food. I know there are other chains there too but those stick out in my head.

All 3 of these are within 15 mins streets to NBC as well as 2 major malls in the area (Glendale Galleria and Burbank AMC City). Glendale has better shopping but you can't beat Burbank if you want to see a movie..hehe

tod
02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Forbin
Holiday Inn Burbank (This is a BIG Hotel)
$119

Days Inn Glendale (Not as big)
$69

All 3 of these are within 15 mins streets to NBC as well as 2 major malls in the area (Glendale Galleria and Burbank AMC City). Glendale has better shopping but you can't beat Burbank if you want to see a movie..hehe

This particular Days Inn in Glendale has a lot of long-term tenants. I would tread carefully. The Burbank Holiday Inn is gigantic, two monstro 20-story towers and the rooms I've stayed in (I live a few blocks away and it's handy when, oh, the power goes out) are very nice. And there are three AMC theatres with 6, 8, and 14 screens in walking distance, if you want to spend your vacation time watching a movie.

--T