PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Ranch

happyhaunts999
02-16-2004, 01:11 PM
What is the word on the Big thunder ranch opening and will the big thunder BBQ be reopening as well. If anybody has a timeline or any info that would be great.

Andrew
02-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by happyhaunts999
What is the word on the Big thunder ranch opening and will the big thunder BBQ be reopening as well. As far as I know, it's only rumor at this point. The former Ranch area, now the Festival Arena, is often used for corporate events. MousePlanet reported (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040119.htm) that "plans are to resurrect a smaller version of the Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo where the Festival Arena currently stands." There isn't a set timeline of which I am aware.

The former Big Thunder BBQ closed when (or a bit before) Rancho del Zocalo opened. RdZ has a barbecue menu in addition to the pseudo-Mexican menu. From the same report: "the remains of the Big Thunder Barbecue will be either removed or altered."

zapppop
02-16-2004, 01:45 PM
The Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo will reopen Saturday, May 8, 2004 according to the current refurbishment schedule. Yesterday, innerSpaceman and I were at the park and saw the Festival Arena being torn down. Doesn't seem like a rumor to me.

Andrew
02-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
The Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo will reopen Saturday, May 8, 2004 according to the current refurbishment schedule. Yesterday, innerSpaceman and I were at the park and saw the Festival Arena being torn down. Doesn't seem like a rumor to me. No sh... uh, stuff? Guess I didn't get the memo.

Got pictures?

EandCDad
02-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Wow, good news. The Big Thunder Ranch was one of lisap's favorite parts of the park and made the Frontierland area more "frontiery." I'll be glad to get that back.

CarlieB
02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Cool:) I went there for the first (and only) time in 200 - when I returned in 2002, it had gone. I thought it was a really nice area - I'd be glad to see it return.

zapppop
02-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Got pictures?

Unfortunately, no. For some odd reason, Friday was the only day this whole weekend I had my camera with me.

Disneyfreak
02-16-2004, 08:28 PM
I saw some construction going on in the festival area. :)

Morrigoon
02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Was by there today, took a picture of the ex- Big Thunder BBQ area but didn't think to look toward the arena.

Polar33
02-17-2004, 12:40 AM
The Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo will reopen Saturday, May 8, 2004 according to the current refurbishment schedule.

Hate to complicate things, but both the current CM reference guide and today's "Resort Today" flyer state that the Ranch and the Arena will open on 6/1.

spectromen
02-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Except for the center raised stage, the borders of the Arena had been torn down as I rode past on the train on Sunday, 2/15.

sediment
02-17-2004, 08:47 AM
From what I remember (hazy stuff), the food was too good and the place was too popular. Made the rest of the food service places look bad. So it got whacked.

BrerFox
02-17-2004, 10:02 AM
The Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo will reopen Saturday, May 8, 2004 according to the current refurbishment schedule. Yesterday, innerSpaceman and I were at the park and saw the Festival Arena being torn down. Doesn't seem like a rumor to me.

Last time I was at Festival area was for an awards thingy for the heritage festival. As you may or may not know Heritage is a big thing for all these school who compete, musicly.
After we did our gig at Cal State Disneyland, (Fullerton) we headed to DL and marched down main street. (Highlight of my life so far :D :D ) All the schools gathered at the festival area for the awards.
The reason I always post about Heritage is because its my only ticket down to DL. We're going back in April. (my school I mean)

The one thing that I'm thinking is, were are all these people going to meet for the awards? The Hypertron? The Woppie Theater? Fantasyland theater?

so many places, not enough space.
(Besides Tomarrowland! :D ...........get it?...space?...bad pun)

disneyfn
02-17-2004, 11:27 AM
RIP Festival Arena.you brought me many happy days watching Hunchback, but I look forward to seeing the animals return.:crying:

stagedoorjonny
02-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Where are they going to lock-up all the CMs during the next movie Premire? :eek:

I know mabe I shouldn't have asked

Bruce Bergman
02-17-2004, 12:42 PM
The word I got was that the wooden structure of the Hunchback stages was rotten in several spots, and most of the catwalks and upper reaches of the structure were unsafe to climb on - or even stand under. Except for certain low stages and walkways that could be checked and fixed easily.

It would have had to be repaired or taken down anyway. They can't let the public in there (even for special events) if it's going to "Fall down go BOOM!" on their heads... :rolleyes:

And it was their last open-air large location. Guess they'll have to reschedule the Snow White shows at Tomorrowland Theatre for those special events...

Unless they leave the center stage fully functional (leaving the one "control room" tower to the west, and the sound system speakers in place), then they could move out the animals for the day and sweep up & hose the place out really good... :eek:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Gandalf
02-17-2004, 04:25 PM
If Big Thunder Ranch does reopen does that mean Billy Hill will perform there again? I remember seeing them there several times.

Morrigoon
02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Nope, that was just their temporary digs while the Golden Horseshoe was getting refurbed.

mamabot
02-17-2004, 10:45 PM
We walked Big Thunder Trail today (2/17) and I could see and hear construction equipment in the Festival of Fools Arena.

It is about time TDA started to release some of the hostages, I mean retired attractions. ;)

Old Blue
02-17-2004, 11:39 PM
The petting zoo will only use a small part of that arena. It will be near the cottage on your left as you walk in.

lisap
02-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Old Blue
The petting zoo will only use a small part of that arena. It will be near the cottage on your left as you walk in.

Do you know what will be done with the rest of the space?

Innoventor
02-18-2004, 08:41 AM
I was hoping the rumor was true about the petting zoo, but when I asked at work I was told that the constuction was just to update the delapadated festival arena for special events. If they were to add the petting zoo to the left of the arena it would make for some smelly outdoor banquets with flies.
Too bad really, Knott's Berry Farm was stupid enough to take out their petting zoo recently. When will theme parks learn that people do enjoy the quaint activities as much as the thrill rides?

Old Blue
02-18-2004, 01:12 PM
When I talked to Circle D Ranch they said that they where gathering animals to use for a petting zoo. They thought they might get a burro soon; Noel might have a small area to herself. They have recently received an Iguana, but did not say what other animals they might get or how many. My impression was that this would be a rather small area. The animals would be brought on stage for show and tell then brought back to the Ranch.
The last time I was in the arena the stage was gone and is now a hole about 4 feet deep. The center roof area over the stage is still mostly there, but most of the surrounding facades are now gone. All that is left is a small tower on the west side. Some of the concrete on the east side is being torn up but I could not tell how much of it they are going to take out.
By the way while I was at the ranch I met Noel. She is growing very fast and is quite friendly. She does need more work before she can be with guests yet as she likes to nibble on things, like clothes and fingers! Like all children everything goes into the mouth.