PDA

View Full Version : Millionaire faux pas

Pages : [1] 2

tod
02-16-2004, 12:05 PM
I got in the Hot Seat yesterday and as I was settling in, Ken said "I see on my screen that you won the million points."

ACK!!!

Instant hatred from the audience, with muttered booing and hissing to the point that Ken said "Hey! We should congratulate him for being so smart!" which elicited some half-hearted applause.

I got to 2000 before time's-up sounded, and I came into the next show to an audience that was blissfully unaware that I had ever been in the Hot Seat previously.

And when I left, Ken shook my hand and apologized for letting the cat out of the bag at the previous show.

So to the other million-point winners -- Don't worry, Ken won't out you now. And everybody else -- thanks for reading.

--T
#26, and almost #39, #42 and #43, drat the luck.

MonorailMan
02-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Ouch! However, all hosts learn there lesson.

Oh well, your still better than me :D

Darkbeer
02-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey, CONGRATS on the previous win, and everyone else who has made it to a million!!!!!:fez:

Be proud, be a millionaire....:D

Kevy Baby
02-16-2004, 09:27 PM
There was another million point winner today. I heard them announce today while I was in the potty during the 4 o'clock show.

Polar33
02-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Personally, I'd be glad to hear that a contestant in the Hot Seat is a previous winner. I've yet to see someone hit one million points, and I'd have a better chance seing that if the person has done it before. I'd probably stick around for the next show if nessacary too. I've had my fill of random locals that can't pass the 1,000 point level. Although that's probabaly because I will not be eligible to play the game unless I quit or get fired...but regardless, I'd never boo a person for being a winner.

BTT
02-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Elyse is very good about withholding that little piece of info...one time, when I was in the hot seat (or more appropriately after I had come back from the prize office), I happened to run into her after a show, and she mentioned that they were aware I had won previously, but they didn't tell the audience for the exact reasons that have been listed.

Ben T.

tod
02-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Polar33
Personally, I'd be glad to hear that a contestant in the Hot Seat is a previous winner. I've yet to see someone hit one million points, and I'd have a better chance seing that if the person has done it before. I'd probably stick around for the next show if nessacary too. I've had my fill of random locals that can't pass the 1,000 point level. Although that's probabaly because I will not be eligible to play the game unless I quit or get fired...but regardless, I'd never boo a person for being a winner.

I believe you're in the minority. The keypads at every seat give people the feeling that "That could have been me" and they actively resent seeing people who have been there before get in again when they haven't been in there even once.

I have seen audiences turn on a dime when that information gets out, and I never, ever cop to it. I will point out my son or my wife and say how they did, or change the subject entirely.

--T

dude
02-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear about that tod. The 43rd millionaire was Monday, and when he won, it looked like he was going to faint because he fell out of the chair. I got into the Hot Seat in the next show and missed the 125,000 point question about the Great Gatsby.

coaster53
02-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Often lurk and don't often post. With that said, I look at the situation from a different angle. Ever stop to think that the hosts don't like having to pretend they don't know you or your past accomplishments? What do they care if you get booed? I do think it was nice of Ken to protect you from the crowd. Something he didn't have to do. You chose to get into the seat knowing full well you are a previous winner. The audience booed because they feel you are taking their chance. Why is it the hosts responsibility to "pretend"? Why put them in that position? I am sure the reason Elyse mentioned her tatic was because she is tired of having to protect you from an angry mob of guests. If the truth bothers you, don't get in the seat. Give someone else a chance.

Mistyj
02-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Why should the host not mention he's a previous winner? Because it makes for "better show." Isn't that what we expect from Disney? The best show possible?

As far as giving someone else a chance, there are 5 shows a day, seven days a week and Tod can't be in the Hot Seat for 30 days. That seems like plenty of chances to me.

dude
02-18-2004, 09:25 AM
It has been said before, the audience doesn't like returning contestants whether you have won the million or you just missed the 4,000 point question. They know that they had a chance to be in the seat, and you, someone who has already done it, just took that chance away from them. The hosts shouldn't mention that a contestant has been there before because the audience turns grumpy. (I know from personal experience.) They are supposed to keep the show fun, and when the audience is in a bad mood, the show isn't fun.

Not to say that those who have won the million shouldn't be recognized, they deserve recognition, but the hot seat just isn't the right place.

BTT
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by coaster53
Often lurk and don't often post. With that said, I look at the situation from a different angle. Ever stop to think that the hosts don't like having to pretend they don't know you or your past accomplishments? What do they care if you get booed? I do think it was nice of Ken to protect you from the crowd. Something he didn't have to do. You chose to get into the seat knowing full well you are a previous winner. The audience booed because they feel you are taking their chance. Why is it the hosts responsibility to "pretend"? Why put them in that position? I am sure the reason Elyse mentioned her tatic was because she is tired of having to protect you from an angry mob of guests. If the truth bothers you, don't get in the seat. Give someone else a chance.

That is a different angle...however, flip your argument for a sec...
ever stop to think the hosts aren't all that concerned about NOT mentioning it? It's a simple choice, and if they choose not to, it won't necessarily weigh down on them for the duration of the show.

As for getting booed, it doesn't necessarily help with word-of-mouth if word is that the contestant in the hot seat got booed.

I have had the experience, on more than one occasion, where it had been mentioned that I had won, and the crowd was actually quite kind. It truly is random as to how the audience will react.

A lot of assumptions are made in your discourse...when you strip away the assumptions, all you're really left with is your opinion. You can't be sure of anything other than how you think or feel.

Ben T.

tod
02-18-2004, 10:55 AM
You chose to get into the seat knowing full well you are a previous winner. The audience booed because they feel you are taking their chance.... If the truth bothers you, don't get in the seat. Give someone else a chance.

They booed me because I had been in the Hot Seat before. The million-point win only added another layer to the resentment.

As far as "Give someone else a chance": Every person in the room has an equal chance, just like at the beginning of a race. The best -- fastest and most accurate -- person gets in every time, as long as he or she is eligibile. Computer-calculated, with nothing to go on but seat numbers. No human judgment involved. My conscience is clear. I got in the Hot Seat because I did it better than anybody else. Winning the million? That was luck -- I'm one-for-four on million point questions.

Take your chance. I do. Sometimes I don't even make the leader board. (I'm weak on boy bands and Pokemon characters, and don't remember things like Sexiest Man Alive and Man of the Year.) The idea is to play and have fun, not to win.

--T

cmpeter
02-18-2004, 04:24 PM
I have only played once and barely snuck onto the leader board. So, congratulations on making it multiple times. What does a million point winner win?

BTT
02-18-2004, 05:07 PM
1000 pt level: five collectible pins and "1000 point winner" baseball cap.

32,000 pts: 10 collectible pins, cap and "32,000 point winner" polo shirt

Million points: 15 collectible pins (with the million point pin numbered in the order that you won the prize), a giant medallion that puts Olympic gold medals to shame, the cap, the shirt, a "million-point winner" leather jacket, and a 3-night cruise for four on Disney Cruise Lines to the Bahamas.

Ben T.

cmpeter
02-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Cool...that's worth playing for. :-)

coaster53
02-19-2004, 01:08 AM
I guess you are right BTT. I am left with only my opinion and I will stick to it. I felt this whole thing started as a host bashing post and I didn't like the tone of it. I think all the hosts do a great job and do their very best to make each show wonderful. What they should and shouldn't do is only your opinion. I am sure no malice was meant by the comment. Ken is one of my personal favorites. He always does a great job no matter what show he is doing at the Disneyland Resort. I didn't care for the "He should know better" attitude. I guess my last post was in defense of the hosts. You know, kind of like they have defended many of you in the past. Like you said, that is my opinion. The choice to boo was someone else's opinion.

tod
02-19-2004, 07:55 AM
I felt this whole thing started as a host bashing post and I didn't like the tone of it. I think all the hosts do a great job and do their very best to make each show wonderful. What they should and shouldn't do is only your opinion. I am sure no malice was meant by the comment. Ken is one of my personal favorites. He always does a great job no matter what show he is doing at the Disneyland Resort. I didn't care for the "He should know better" attitude. I guess my last post was in defense of the hosts. You know, kind of like they have defended many of you in the past. Like you said, that is my opinion. The choice to boo was someone else's opinion.

"Host-bashing" was the farthest thing from my mind. I enjoy watching Ken and was hoping I could do a show with him. (I was right. I had a great time.) Ken's mis-step of identifying me as a million-point winner was, simply, a faux pas, and he didn't do it again an hour later, so I infer that even he agreed that it was a mistake.

And BTT's experience with supportive audiences is different from my experience. I suppose I shouldn't assume that audiences will react the same way every time.

--T

dude
02-19-2004, 09:36 AM
BTT, I am not discounting your observances, but every time I have seen someone in the hot seat (including myself) mention they have been in the seat before, whether the host asked or the person said it of their own accord, the audience got irritated and the energy and excitement just left the room. The audience has not got excited for someone who has already been there. They have gotten angry at certain points like the time I was asked if I had been in the seat before and I said "Yes" and then I was asked how far I got and I said "250,000 points." The audience did not like that because I was the second person up, and they probably thought I was just some dumb kid who would bomb early on and then someone else could go up. But the hosts always do a good job in the show, each one is fun for me and I have been there a lot.

BTT
02-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Coaster--From my end, there wasn't any host-bashing going on...far from it. I personally think they do an outstanding job dealing with as many people as they do.

Dude--Llike I said, it was a different experience for me...it's just as likely that if they should mention it in the future, I'll get boo-ed.

Ben T.

Wizard69
02-20-2004, 12:21 AM
If you are not eligible, DON'T PLAY or don't get in the hot seat. Personally, I'm glad people booed you and the host ratted you out. I agree with the previous posters about taking a spot. If someone has been there before, they are taking a spot which they shouldn't be taking since they are not eligible in the first place.

As far as "Give someone else a chance": Every person in the room has an equal chance, just like at the beginning of a race. The best -- fastest and most accurate -- person gets in every time, as long as he or she is eligibile. Computer-calculated, with nothing to go on but seat numbers. No human judgment involved. My conscience is clear. I got in the Hot Seat because I did it better than anybody else.

Here goes that arrogance again. If you are not eligible and you get in the hot seat, someone who IS eligible can't. Therefore, they get rightfully angry. And you even said it yourself "as long as he or she is eligibile" If you aren't, then you should not be playing.

yobbie
02-20-2004, 07:10 AM
I don't think one can get into the hot seat if he/she is ineligible.

tod
02-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Wizard69
If you are not eligible, DON'T PLAY or don't get in the hot seat. Personally, I'm glad people booed you and the host ratted you out. I agree with the previous posters about taking a spot. If someone has been there before, they are taking a spot which they shouldn't be taking since they are not eligible in the first place.

In point of fact, I won the million points on February 7, 2003, so I am eligible to go the distance again. I rarely go into Stage 17 if I'm not eligible to go in the Hot Seat, but I will if I'm with somebody who is eligible. And when I won the million points, the Cast Members told me that although I could not win another trip for a year, I was welcome to play again in 30 days.

Originally posted by Wizard69
Here goes that arrogance again. If you are not eligible and you get in the hot seat, someone who IS eligible can't. Therefore, they get rightfully angry. And you even said it yourself "as long as he or she is eligibile" If you aren't, then you should not be playing.

Call it arrogance if you want. I don't. Some people are tall, some people are good-looking, some people can sing. I'm good at game shows. I'm not bragging, just acknowledging a fact. My particular gift is game shows. That's the way it goes.

For what it's worth, I don't get in the Hot Seat on reflexes and then go bug-eyed at questions based on things that happened before 1980. Since 2002, I have been in the Hot Seat 12 times: I've seen the million-point question four times (I lost three of them), and lost on the 500,000 point question two other times. I can do this.

Originally posted by yobbie
You can; It's on the honor system. However, if you do get in the Hot Seat and you aren't eligible, you don't get any prizes and you are ineligible for another 30 days, starting that day.

--T

Mistyj
02-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Not only is Tod good at it, but he is a pleasure to watch. As an audience member, it's always exciting to me to watch someone play who you can tell has the "tools" to go all the way.

Wizard69
02-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by tod

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by yobbie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can; It's on the honor system. However, if you do get in the Hot Seat and you aren't eligible, you don't get any prizes and you are ineligible for another 30 days, starting that day.

--T [/B]

That is my ENTIRE POINT. If you play when you are not eligible then you must have NO HONOR (or must not care about others who are). Declining is the same thing as going into the hot seat when you are not eligible. You are still playing.