PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready For New [bag checks]

Grandbreaker
02-15-2004, 04:12 PM
BAG CHECKS ALA WDW WEDS/ THURS RUMOR IS THAT SECURITY MIGHT BE CHECKING OR MAIN GATE CM'S THEY WOULD BLOCK OFF THE CENTER ESPLANDE AND CHECK BAGS BEFORE YOU GET TO THE TURNSTILES RUMOR ONLY RUMOR ONLY

Andrew
02-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Moderator's note: Please remember to turn off CAPS LOCK when posting. Thank you.

David R
02-15-2004, 06:37 PM
If that's true, I hope they have at least one "no bags" line.

Grandbreaker
02-15-2004, 06:42 PM
sorry about that

Kevy Baby
02-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Grandbreaker
BAG CHECKS ALA WDW WEDS/ THURS RUMOR IS THAT SECURITY MIGHT BE CHECKING OR MAIN GATE CM'S THEY WOULD BLOCK OFF THE CENTER ESPLANDE AND CHECK BAGS BEFORE YOU GET TO THE TURNSTILES RUMOR ONLY RUMOR ONLY I'M NOT SURE...

(Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to shout.)

I'm not sure how they would close off the entire Esplanade since there are many new issues that would create. What if somebody needed to get between the Transportation Center (on the East end of the Esplanade) and DTD. Would they have to go through bag check? How about the lost tourists who get on the wrong tram?

Too many issues. I don't think they'll do it.

AVP
02-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
Too many issues. I don't think they'll do it. They've already tested it - there are photos in one of the Park Updates (November-ish?)

If I weren't on a mouse-less laptop from a hotel room in New York, I'd look it up for you. :D But they don't close the whole esplanade, just an area in front of the gates.

AVP

David R
02-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Clickie for the story AVP mentioned (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr031222.htm)

Yay for Google.

Forbin
02-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Does this mean I finally can pass between DL and DCA without going through the Check again?

DCAWhites
02-15-2004, 09:54 PM
^In the pictures David R kindly provided, the answer is no. However, a system where both the east and west ends of the esplanade have bag checks, allowing for easy park hopping is not out of the question. Its got a few bugs that have been mentioned. Wonder which version they'll test (if either) this week.

spshorty1
02-29-2004, 02:22 PM
I was there today and they check your bags in front of the ticket booths and that way you don't have to have your bags checked again. I went from DL to DCA and I didn't have to worry about having my bags checked. I like it better this way.

DivaPrincess
02-29-2004, 04:55 PM
That would be awesome. It's such a pain to have bags checked at each gate. And, you'd think they'd save money on bag checkers, too.

jrsharp21
02-29-2004, 06:28 PM
I was at the park on Feb 21st and they had the esplenade blocked off with bag checks. There were hardly any lines to get your bag checked and it made for no lines at either of the gates to get in the park. It was also nice not to have your bags checked each time you hopped. The only downfall was that on Friday night we wanted to go to ESPN zone to eat. We used the crosswalk on Harbor and to walk to ESPN zone we had to have our bags checked to go through the esplenade. After the parks closed, they stopped checking bags. They did have the CM's there just to watch over the people going throught the esplenade.

Dlandmom
03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Experienced this today. I thought it was great. There were no lines at either the bag check or the main gate.

Only problem...our bag checker had NO Disney spirit. She basically grunted at my 4 year old daughter who dutifully opened up her Princess backpack. Sheesh!

innerSpaceman
03-05-2004, 04:12 PM
I just hope they will get (or have gotten) rid of those ugly police barricades.

And, hey, if there's ever a bottleneck at the DTD security entry, you could always go through the never-crowded Grand Cal DCA entrance to get into the secure zone.

stan4d_steph
03-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I just hope they will get (or have gotten) rid of those ugly police barricades. Beyond the barricade, is there a world you long to see?

Perhaps you could stage a revolt. ;) I agree those things are ugly, but it's better to wait until they've figured out the "right way" before they make a permanent solution. As some have observed, you can't pass from the Harbor Blvd. entrance to DTD without going through screening. Hopefully they will come up with a solution that makes the process easier for all involved.

Morrigoon
03-05-2004, 10:19 PM
I think the passing through the esplanade is a minor issue. I definitely like it better this way - though having bag checks where they are means your picnic (potluck!) food has to go through the bag check. This limits you utensil-wise.

mamabot
03-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I was impressed when houng through the bag check this past Wednesday. There were no lines and it was as fast as I can remember getting through the lines.

The true test will come tomorrow when I have a purse, a diaper bag, a stroller and items for the potluck.

Have to remember plastic utensils.

Uncle Dick
03-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Does this new bag check station feature an "express lane" for those of us who travel light, without the encumbrance of baggage?

Ghoulish Delight
03-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
Does this new bag check station feature an "express lane" for those of us who travel light, without the encumbrance of baggage? I have yet to see the line to get through get long enough for it to be an issue. There are 4 stations on either side of the esplenande, and neither of them get very crowded. There is a lot of room, so I suppose it wouldn't be very difficult to just go around the line of people with bags if i did get long.

EandCDad
03-07-2004, 10:09 AM
We were there yesterday and the park seemed pretty crowded and the bag check line was nothing, no wait, none. Much better system. The people who are going from Harbor to Downtown Disney won't be slowed up too much by this quick check, so if they are planning on keeping a bag check, keep it like this.

cstephens
03-07-2004, 10:38 PM
We noticed today that they've moved the bag check areas closer to the parking lot tram drop-off (at least on the side near World of Disney) so there weren't as many of those ugly metal barriers. It was an extremely crowded day, so there was a bit of a wait, but the lines moved fairly quickly.